Kozak

Will KSP overtake Minecraft?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Will KSP overtake Minecraft?

• Yes! hopefully soon too!
    • Probably, just not for a long time.
    • Meh, it might, might not, dunno.
    • Nope, don't think so myself.
    • Never, Minecraft has taken over the world!

OK OK, I admit it, I play Minecraft, but i'm not your stereotypical "minecrafter", not a squeeker *i think*, and not a hardcore minecrafter.

With that out of the way, here's my theory:

Ever sense Microsoft bought minecraft a year ago there has been ONE update, while as mojang had them almost monthly, mostly every other month, My theory is, if Squad keeps up what they're doing, eventually, maybe in a year or two, KSP will overtake Minecraft as the most popular game.

There will be SOME downsides to this (only if multiplayer is added), trollers, people who will build crafts just to destroy yours before you can launch, etc.

But think of the upsides!

• More players, aka bigger community
  • Multiplayer eventually *not confirmed, just me being hopefull*
  • And a ton others that i can't think of off the top of my head.

So what do you think? Will KSP overtake Minecraft?

~Wafle.

build crafts just to destroy yours before you can launch
I don't really care whether KSP overtakes Minecraft in popularity, this sounds like a hell of a lot of fun. Multiplayer nao!

There is a stereotypical Minecraft player? I'm not sure what a "squeaker" is but I hosted my little family only minecraft server, and I wrote server mods lol.

I don't know that KSP will ever get to Minecraft levels. No matter how well they do the multiplayer, it is still a niche game. That doesn't mean it can't be popular, but it isn't going to take over the world like Minecraft did. R.I.P. Minecraft.

Well for me KSP is the new Minecraft. I used to play Minecraft a lot but now I play KSP. However I don't thin KSP will ever rival Minecraft in popularity, its just too hard for one thing. I'm a life-long space nerd so KSP naturally appeals to me but I don't think that appeal is as universal as Minecraft's "virtual lego".

I don't think so. KSP is totally different from Minecraft as it is a simulation for space travel. You can do amazing stuff while building rockets, planes, rovers, stations and so on. And you can fly them. But thats it. (And I love it for what it is.) You need a certain level of nerdism to enjoy this game.

Minecraft is not a simulation, you can't fly anything you build. But it is much easier as you just need to place blocks and then you can build whole cities or explore caves and terraform the world or just run around tame animals. It's user base is more widespread then KSP.

It's hard to make any solid predictions, but I definitely see a lot of similarities. A large portion of the KSP community is made up of minecraft veterans (myself included) who quit minecraft once the modding community kind of fell apart and mod support dried up. Both KSP and Minecraft have also both been heavily boosted by mods (in both cases the stock game is a great sandbox for building random stuff, but the survival/career mode is lackluster at best IMHO).

So yes, in a lot of ways KSP appears to be filling much the same role in the gaming world as Minecraft (except for multiplayer for now).

In general? I highly doubt that - although KSP is quite successful, it has more of niche player market.

Afaik, multiplayer is confirmed (they announced it when I was still working on KMP - december not last year, but the year before that - and they've also mentioned it on twitter/the dev notes a few times, so it doesn't appear to be swept under the rug).

I'd like to see multiplayer too - it feels like the only thing that's missing from KSP for me, and to say DMP is "buggy" is a bit of an understatement hehe.

I doubt it will overtake Minecraft, in the sense that it would replace it or whatever, but I see them occupying very similar spaces. They both have great potential to be used educationally, have broad appeal, and are foundations for their respective genres. When multiplayer is added, I could see another spike in popularity happening for sure, since there's a lot of room for collaboration and persistence.

I'm hopeful that KSP becomes an institution like Minecraft. Some people just want to watch the world learn :)

(Megathread incoming)

Maybe and maybe not. Minecraft is overrun with "Squeakers" and those "I know everything about minecraft and won't shut up about it and think real life has minecraft physics" kind of people (Those are 90% sqeakers as well) KSP has a more mature community. But it's the internet, and it's kinda hard to find a bunch of people who are mature. Immature people probably wouldn't play this, as they say "IF I DUN GET IT RIGHT AWAY I DELETE AND SPAM FORUM!"

Why do people get hyped on multiplayer KSP, I see no sense to it. What would you find attractive about it?

You know how rocket building companies have partners? take mine for example, I have Zokesia, and a few others on my partners list, when Multiplayer comes out we can finally do collab builds and not have to constantly transfer craft files!

As well as that, once multiplayer comes out theres a whole new community of players that will rush in, just because of multiplayer.

There's a ton of other reasons that im sure others can come up with but i can't off the top of my head.

I honestly don't know what the plan is for multiplayer, as far as frame rate and physics calculations. Right now there is still a big pause whenever a decent sized ship enters physics range, and frame rate goes way down. Imagine with 3 or 4 or more people trying to play in the same space, it is just going to be unplayable.

What are Squeakers?

Imagine that annoying fred guy who had a TV show at one point, yeah nobody remembers him except me.

That's a squeaker ,

only squeakers are more vulgar, and have the crappiest mics.

About multiplayer: doing something in Minecraft doesnt take 3 years of ingame time.

Whereas in KSP, going from Kerbin to any other planet and back easily lasts several years. In solo you can always timewarp, and I guess in a private server with only a few friends you could also do it.

But if you start considering big multiplayer servers with at least dozens of players at the same time (like there are in Minecraft) then all you can do is launch your rocket and come back 6 months later IRL...

Big multiplayer is not possible in KSP for this and all other reasons above, and therefore, it will not get the same success as Minecraft.

On the other side, KSP community will never be full of trolls as Mincraft's was (or is, dunno) which is a good thing: KSP players are more mature than Minecraft ones.

When I see that more than 75% of the youtube comments have KSP avatars, that will be happening.

For now, we have to endure the MLP-Minecraft-FNAF spam.

*Inspirational music plays*

And endure we must. 'cause here we are in the mouth of hell, an' we made it this far, by leaning on each other.

KSP may not yet overcome minecraft, but its our sweat and blood that'll make it happen.

After everything we've been through, past all the fire and fury....

The one thing I know, is that we can count on each other to get the job done.

Or die trying, if that's what it takes.

..Because some things ...are just worth fighting for.

- - - Updated - - -

Totaly SC2'd this thing up in here.

As others have said, I doubt that KSP has the wider appeal of a game like Minecraft. I know this from personal experience with both games. I like KSP because I have always dreamed of being an astronaut and have always been very keenly interested in all thing astronomical. Otherwise it's unlikely I'd be playing this game, or would have stuck through the steep learning curve needed to do more than blow things up for fun.

Nope. Even if KSP gets multiplayer and great server support, it will not approach Minecraft's numbers. It just doesn't have the wide appeal.

My wife loves Minecraft. She once remarked on KSP, "That game looks so boring. I just don't see how it is any fun". Although she loves the kerbals and my spectacular launch failures, she would never play KSP. I've tried to sell her on it. KSP just appeals to a narrower audience, and that is fine.

That being said, Squad has done an amazing job making the game appeal to those who would otherwise ignore it... and still somehow manage to keep a focus on math and physics. I hope KSP becomes a common feature in schools... like Oregon Trail was when I was in elementary school. KSP is no doubt the best educational game in the history of games... both from the perspective of education AND fun.

HINT HINT: Squad... you want more sales? Give the game away free to schools. Once kids get a taste of the game in schools, they'll force their parents to buy the game for home.

EDIT: Nevermind, Squad is already on top of that. http://kerbaledu.com/

KSP is a great game, the most enjoyable computer game for me now, but it is difficult to play it... You need imagination, physics and logic... Minecraft only need imagination, so it is open to more public.

For example, I play Minecraft with my wife an several friends.... No one of my friends play KSP for more than 3 moths straight... And almost all of my friends have an engineer or science degree.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.