"There is nothing concerning about this vessel"

SpacedCowboy

The "Engineers Report",,, At first I thought, "Well this will come in handy! Then, after constructing a few ships, I began thinking, "Well, this is weird!? Getting reports like, "There's a problem with the parachutes" (because they weren't attached to the command pod) and, "Hatch obstructed" (because there was a fairing in place) and, (now here's my favorite), "No ladder " (for an unmanned pod?) It went from amusing to annoying pretty fast. Now I only use the ER, (and I don't mean the emergency room) just to check on the size and weight, and try to ignore the"Alerts".

The alerts aren't that bad. I find them actually helpful from time to time. And if there's something wrong with my vessel, but I know it's intended then I just ignore them.

I tend to have horrible memory.

A couple of times, it reported some fuel tanks weren't feeding the engines when I had thought they were connected properly. That was useful.

The report widget thingy is so small and unobtrusive you can easily ignore it, anyway.

I had once a "No problems" advice, but some of the engines were further down the stage and decoupled them before using them. It's not without its faults, but it helps newbies and veterans alike.

I had once a "No problems" advice, but some of the engines were further down the stage and decoupled them before using them. It's not without its faults, but it helps newbies and veterans alike.

I've found it really useful. It's not intrusive to me and while I usually don't make huge major omissions, I do do things like forget to add ladders or truly sufficient battery capacity, etc. So it's helpful.

I like it too. It's a primitive checklist, and checklists are an important part of aviation. It could be a *better* checklist, but it does occasionally remind me of things I forgot -- staging errors, missing parachutes, no power, etc.

I find it useful, especially for hatch obstructions.

I did find a small problem though, it doesn't seem to detect fuel cells while generating the checklist.

I built a rover powered by fuel cells so it carries liquid fuel and oxidizer, but the checklist tells me they are unused resources and that there is no means of generating electricity on board.

I like the "ignore this problem" idea.

Personally the one thing I think it's missing is "This craft has a docking port and/or landing gear, but no lights. ARE YOU ABSOLUTELY SURE YOU DON'T WANT LIGHTS?"

Meh. Lights are a resource hog, so I hardly ever use them except for planes (they're a useful indicator for how close you are to the ground, which is important when you don't have ground scatter enabled). I just make sure to land on the day side.

The Engineer's Report is useless once you've played the game for a bit. I pretty much ignore it.

There you go reg, that pretty much sums it up.

- - - Updated - - -

It's mostly for beginners, but I still read it before every launch. Sometimes it catches something I didn't.

Yeah, I agree, it's good for beginners, but just a little useless for vets. (not saying I'm one of them)

- - - Updated - - -

All it really needs an "Ignore this problem" button for those edge cases where the human operator feels they are smarter than the computer algorithm.

Well, guess I'm near the edge.

Well, guess I'm near the edge.

When I say edge cases, I mean unique situations. For example, I have one craft I get an error on saying I'm using a docking port as a decoupler... I know I am, I designed it that way. But it still pollutes the list and I can't acknowledge and remove it from the list, so an ignore button would be nice.

When I say edge cases, I mean unique situations. For example, I have one craft I get an error on saying I'm using a docking port as a decoupler... I know I am, I designed it that way. But it still pollutes the list and I can't acknowledge and remove it from the list, so an ignore button would be nice.

Agreed, too bad the report can't be split into: Here's what you've got, and : You've got a problem here. Being able to check each category specifically.

Meh. Lights are a resource hog, so I hardly ever use them except for planes (they're a useful indicator for how close you are to the ground, which is important when you don't have ground scatter enabled). I just make sure to land on the day side.

Yes, but the tyranny of Finagle's Law guarantees that--no matter how well I plan--a significant fraction of my orbital rendezvous will just happen to be at night. I usually like to have at least a few lights on each space station pointing at its own docking ports if nothing else.

Sounds alright, but a reset button might be nice, just incase you accidentally cleared something that might have been useful. Or an ignored catagory you can check.

I'm impressed it picks up on things like that, haven't used any docking ports for a while. I suppose we might see the end of people putting their docking ports on backwards.

I'm perfectly fine with it making suggestions, which I latter ignore. It doesn't know what I'm doing, but it's doing it's best to help.

I like the "ignore this problem" idea.

Yea, me too. It'd be really nice to have.

Personally the one thing I think it's missing is "This craft has a docking port and/or landing gear, but no lights. ARE YOU ABSOLUTELY SURE YOU DON'T WANT LIGHTS?"

That would work if KSP would have nav lights. But regular lights? Nope.

The Engineer's Report is useless once you've played the game for a bit. I pretty much ignore it.

This.

It's for new players and even then it's very counter productive and confusing. For veteran players it's useless as it has no concept of how complex craft can be.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.