[WIP][1.0.2] WarpShip 0.3.2 - Update/expansion of IXS Enterprise

Sophia

26 minutes ago, Nansuchao said:

Would you consider to create a new thread for this? It would have obvious advantages.

Thought of it: yes

but i didn't already because i wanted to give Sophia (previous maintainer) a chance to either return to maintaining the mod or give me her blessing on taking over. I PMd Sophia, but so far i havent heard from her.

@Denko666 How can I get my hands on the original models and Unity scenes for these parts? I just want to animate the spacedock lights so that I can turn them on and off. I can import the spacedock model into Blender using Taniwha's great plugin, but that means re-doing everything from scratch and probably making many, many mistakes. The Github links only have the released .mu models and source code for the plugin, though. Unless I'm missing something?

Edited by Bluebottle

Only i would have the original unity saved scenes for the ship (and i lost them long ago when i got my new computer); Sophia would've made her own, and i imagine Denko is having to build his own from the ground up to remake the mod. As far as i'm aware, unity scenes don't save when exported to the game, they just export the meshes and the transforms. The quickest way i would imagine is to just convert the .mu file to max or blender, then re-export it as fbx into unity and pick up the pieces. Best solution i can think of i'm afraid.

19 minutes ago, Stevie_D said:

Only i would have the original unity saved scenes for the ship (and i lost them long ago when i got my new computer); Sophia would've made her own, and i imagine Denko is having to build his own from the ground up to remake the mod. As far as i'm aware, unity scenes don't save when exported to the game, they just export the meshes and the transforms. The quickest way i would imagine is to just convert the .mu file to max or blender, then re-export it as fbx into unity and pick up the pieces. Best solution i can think of i'm afraid.

I thought that might be the case. The Blender .mu importer is a godsend for lost model sources. Thanks for the reply. :)

I cannot seem to activate the warp drive. I have power, exotic matter, xenon gas, everything. In fact, it's not even giving me an option to turn it on or off, and it's simply saying that it's failsafe is 600k. I am using hyperedit and a planet pack.

I am also WAY higher than 600,000 km, so I don't know why it's working. 

Edited by Rainbowd4sh

49 minutes ago, Rainbowd4sh said:

I cannot seem to activate the warp drive. I have power, exotic matter, xenon gas, everything. In fact, it's not even giving me an option to turn it on or off, and it's simply saying that it's failsafe is 600k. I am using hyperedit and a planet pack.

I am also WAY higher than 600,000 km, so I don't know why it's working. 

Did you also install the Alcubiere drive mod? This mod depends on it.

Yeah, after it didn't work I actually replaced it with the warp drive from that mod. On top of that, how do you activate the devolocitizer? 

2 hours ago, Denko666 said:

Did you also install the Alcubiere drive mod? This mod depends on it.

Edited by Rainbowd4sh

13 hours ago, Rainbowd4sh said:

Yeah, after it didn't work I actually replaced it with the warp drive from that mod. On top of that, how do you activate the devolocitizer? 

The develocitizer is leftover from the 1.0.5 version when the IXS still had its own warpdrive plugin. But that became defunct with KSP 1.1, hence why i replaced it with RoverDude's warpdrive. Roverdude's has the Develocitizer's function built-in. The 'caps' (as we've began to call them) like the develocitizer will receive an overhaul in the next version.

as for the ship in orbit: Hyperedit is not yet 1.1.2 compatible. And if you do use it, it messes things up regarding orbit info etc... so that could be the reason why the warp drive doesn't work even above 600km. The only way right now to get the IXS in space is to build it there using extraplanetary launchpads (or build a big-ass rocket). I'm still working on that myself (testing things sucks without hyperedit). 

I just tested the warpdrive mod and technically it does work, in the sense that the plugin and part configs load, and the proper hooks into the KSP game engine get made. Other then that, without a working Hyperedit, i'm stuck to doing it the 'right' way. Just like you.

So: make sure you're using KSP 1.1.2, and have installed Alcubierre Warp Drive for KSP 1.1.2, and the IXS Warp Ship (Original Series) for KSP 1.1.2 

The first one to get a working construction station in orbit that builds the IXS gets to test the warp drive... :wink: 

37 minutes ago, Denko666 said:

The develocitizer is leftover from the 1.0.5 version when the IXS still had its own warpdrive plugin. But that became defunct with KSP 1.1, hence why i replaced it with RoverDude's warpdrive. Roverdude's has the Develocitizer's function built-in. The 'caps' (as we've began to call them) like the develocitizer will receive an overhaul in the next version.

as for the ship in orbit: Hyperedit is not yet 1.1.2 compatible. And if you do use it, it messes things up regarding orbit info etc... so that could be the reason why the warp drive doesn't work even above 600km. The only way right now to get the IXS in space is to build it there using extraplanetary launchpads (or build a big-ass rocket). I'm still working on that myself (testing things sucks without hyperedit). 

I just tested the warpdrive mod and technically it does work, in the sense that the plugin and part configs load, and the proper hooks into the KSP game engine get made. Other then that, without a working Hyperedit, i'm stuck to doing it the 'right' way. Just like you.

So: make sure you're using KSP 1.1.2, and have installed Alcubierre Warp Drive for KSP 1.1.2, and the IXS Warp Ship (Original Series) for KSP 1.1.2 

The first one to get a working construction station in orbit that builds the IXS gets to test the warp drive... :wink: 

Thank you for the explanation. I will let you know how it works via editing this post! :D

2 hours ago, Denko666 said:

Did not work. I put a explanatory launchpad ship into orbit, spawned the craft, and did not work. EUc5eOd, my height is too low, but it shows the same message when I reach the needed height. 

Edited by Rainbowd4sh

On 5/16/2016 at 8:33 PM, Rainbowd4sh said:

Did not work. I put a explanatory launchpad ship into orbit, spawned the craft, and did not work. EUc5eOd, my height is too low, but it shows the same message when I reach the needed height. 

i think i got it, test release can be downloaded here https://www.dropbox.com/s/hoelvsl1k76hv47/IXSWarpshipOS-0.3.6b-1.1.2.zip?dl=0, Maintenance post updated. Not submitted to Spacedock or CKAN yet. I will do so if it proves stable.

On 5/16/2016 at 6:26 PM, Denko666 said:

Develocitizer is built in roverdude's warpdrive ?? How so? I've never seen it. Or do I misread it ? From the name & desc it sounds like it zeros your velocity relative to the current body?

4 hours ago, Denko666 said:

i think i got it, test release can be downloaded here https://www.dropbox.com/s/hoelvsl1k76hv47/IXSWarpshipOS-0.3.6b-1.1.2.zip?dl=0, Maintenance post updated. Not submitted to Spacedock or CKAN yet. I will do so if it proves stable.

Awesome! works like a baby. 4 kerbals are happily reporting from a warp to Jool. 

One more thing, can you make a way so I can time warp while it blasts? A mod I have adds solar systems light years away, and just physical time warp+warp engine takes hours. I am excited to see what else you do with this mod. Example of the distance I need to travel in this mod. 6IOALcW.jpg

Edited by Rainbowd4sh

7 hours ago, Rainbowd4sh said:

Awesome! works like a baby. 4 kerbals are happily reporting from a warp to Jool. 

One more thing, can you make a way so I can time warp while it blasts? A mod I have adds solar systems light years away, and just physical time warp+warp engine takes hours. I am excited to see what else you do with this mod. Example of the distance I need to travel in this mod. 6IOALcW.jpg

I think the Persistent Thrust mod already does that. Could be wrong, i never used it myself.

If you install Deepfreeze, there will be an IXS sized can with a 10 kerbal freezer

14 hours ago, DarkGod said:

Develocitizer is built in roverdude's warpdrive ?? How so? I've never seen it. Or do I misread it ? From the name & desc it sounds like it zeros your velocity relative to the current body?

In the VAB/SPH if you right-click on the warpdrive, there should be an option what to do when coming out of warp. In flight there is nothing special to do when exiting warp (unlike with the develocitizer).

I'm going to try to get everything in the mod as close to the theoretical technology surrounding warp speed as possible. But its tough... some seriously whacky hard-to-grasp things to get my head around. Especially since its all mostly based on Quantum mechanics and even the experts arent out of the woods on it.

33 minutes ago, Nansuchao said:

What are you unsure about? I can help someway with the theory.

Thanks for that! help is always welcome :D

Well, as far as i can grasp it: Einstein said; matter cannot travel faster then the speed of light because the energy needed to speed up increases exponentially per unit accelerated, effectivly ever approaching but never reaching lightspeed. According to Alcubierre, if space-time is indeed 'manipulatable', then we could expand space-time behind and contract space-time in front of a ship. The ship would be in it's own little island of space-time in between the contracted and expanded space-time at a given point. This is what we call the 'bubble' in the KSP mod right? But then, as the warpdrive 'releases' its grip on space-time, wouldn't the ship just be at its original relative position? As i see it, the ship would at least need to do a bit of moving within space-time in order to get to the destination. I get that this is where Sophia's Develocitizer would come in because you would be moving in a direction and speed that has no relation with the destination space-time. (ex: you coud be entering in an SOI of a star at a speed and vector no conventional drive could ever correct) But one of the things i find puzzling is: what happens to the ship (matter) when it traverses that contracted space? would it indeed retain its momentum or not? Another thing is: would moving over/through the contracted space-time not also mean moving through whatever field is creating the contraction? (i imagine this would be a field either consisting of or created by something capable of manipulating gravity? i imagine this being either an artificial Higgs field or a layer of Higgs bosons... ) But what i wonder is, what would happen to the matter of the ship (and content) while making that transition? I know it's fiction turned stunningly (half) prophetic, but in Star Trek, a ship first gets wrapped up a subspace bubble, then an oscilating singularity (oscilating space-time) gets projected in front of the ship, drawing the ship nearer (like a rubber duck in a pool would float to the origin of a fountain) while the ship inside holds on to (anchors) itself inside the subspace bubble. These things correspond to 3 iconic features found in all Star Trek Federation ships: the blue thingies at the front of 2 or more nacelles projecting a subspace field, the red thingies of the nacelles anchoring the ship inside the field and the large forward-facing dish projecting the singularity. In dr. White's vision of the Alcubierre drive there are the 2 rings: one for contracting space in front, and one for expanding space behind. But there are also the 4 'caps', and i can't find any explanation anywhere what function they have. Are they part of the drive? In Sophia's rendering, she visioned the blue glowy cap to be a 'develocitizer'... Stevie_D envisioned the caps to be all sciency things (supported by this idea: http://s219.photobucket.com/user/exendar/media/ixs_26_zpsc590fcb0.jpg.html )

Another thing is: would the IXS be able to move through other matter? While it makes the crossing to the destination over contracted space-time its sure to encounter something? Or would other matter pass around the ship at the treshold of whatever field is generated? If i again take Star Trek as a reference, they are in sub-space, so basicly they pass by whatever matter is in the way because they are not, as Geordie would say, in phase with the rest of the universe.

questions, questions, questions.... and when i look around for answers most of the time i get copious amounts of, to me, completely unintelligable mathematic formulas. Now i know the entire Warp Drive thing is academic apart from some (rather succesful) practical experiments done by dr. White. And so the practical details of how such a drive would do its thing are simply unknown. But i'm sure there are some things in the current theory that would dictate some rules on what is needed and why. Or at least exclude certains things as irrelevant or impossible.

So what i mean with 'as realistic as possible' is that the mod would certainly not work in ways the existing theory would contradict. (for ex: is the 'develocitizer' something probable, improbable, unknown, doubtful or plain impossible).

Whao, a lot of questions. I'll try my best. 

First, there are different fictional theories about a FTL ship. The one you see in Star Trek isn't the same of the Alcubierre Drive. In Star Trek they travel in hyperspace, another dimension to avoid the limitations (not verified at all) of the relativistic theory.

So, if your idea is to follow the Star Trek style, as StevieD did in his first release of the mod, the Warp Drive will work like the Interstellar one, otherwise following the Sophia's vision, the RoverDude Alcubierre Drive is perfect. The first one travel in another dimension, the other just expand and contract space. In theory you need just one ring to make it work. Dr. White stated that he put the second one just for aesthetic reasons.

Second, when you exit the "bubble" you'll maintain the momentum you had at the moment you created it. The "Develocitizer" is a very useful thing, but is completely fiction, cause it will just set to zero the speed you have relative to your nearest main body. There is a realistic way to obtain a similar result, but it will tear the ship apart in less than a moment or means that your technology is so advanced that you can move entire planets and create black holes at pleasure.

The bubble is not properly gravity, more a very strong magnetic field that needs Exotic Matters to exists. It surround the ship and isolate it from everything (except a collision with a large body, sun, planet, moon, big asteroids).

The caps and the module around the main body would be science things, labs and crew space, nothing so important.

To start the Alcubierre Drive you need the reactor (probably Matter/Antimatter) and the ring.

On a side note, this mod also has is Quantum Vacuum Drive. This is a very controversial concept and no one has still understood if this really gives thrust in change of energy or not. If yes, it will send to past a big part of the relativism and Quantum theory too.

I hope that this was useful for you. In case I missed something, ask again and I'll try to be more specific.

5 minutes ago, Nansuchao said:

First, there are different fictional theories about a FTL ship. The one you see in Star Trek isn't the same of the Alcubierre Drive. In Star Trek they travel in hyperspace, another dimension to avoid the limitations (not verified at all) of the relativistic theory.

Here i think you're confusing Star Trek with Star Wars. Altho, Hyperspace or subspace could very well be the same thing.

6 minutes ago, Nansuchao said:

So, if your idea is to follow the Star Trek style, as StevieD did in his first release of the mod, the Warp Drive will work like the Interstellar one, otherwise following the Sophia's vision, the RoverDude Alcubierre Drive is perfect. The first one travel in another dimension, the other just expand and contract space. In theory you need just one ring to make it work. Dr. White stated that he put the second one just for aesthetic reasons.

What exactly do you mean with the Interstellar one? If you're referencing the movie 'Interstellar', the Endurance didn't have a warp drive, just plasma engines. 

Ok so we definitely keep Roverdude's rendition. And you're right, apparently only one ring is needed. Sophia even mentions it. I thought i had read it somewhere that 2 were needed(/better ?) 

11 minutes ago, Nansuchao said:

Second, when you exit the "bubble" you'll maintain the momentum you had at the moment you created it. The "Develocitizer" is a very useful thing, but is completely fiction, cause it will just set to zero the speed you have relative to your nearest main body. There is a realistic way to obtain a similar result, but it will tear the ship apart in less than a moment or means that your technology is so advanced that you can move entire planets and create black holes at pleasure.

ok, so either you invoke the power of the gods or you run the risk of getting lost in space.... In the Solaris Hypernautics mod for KSP one way of decelerating is introduced as a large array of magnetised panels... If like you say the field to manipulate time-space is in essence a magnetic field... maybe it can be used to decelerate? (i'm imagining a sort of magnetic umbrella projected to the front of the ship. causing 'friction' against space-time??, or am i way off here?) 

19 minutes ago, Nansuchao said:

The bubble is not properly gravity, more a very strong magnetic field that needs Exotic Matters to exists. It surround the ship and isolate it from everything (except a collision with a large body, sun, planet, moon, big asteroids).

what would be considered 'big'? like anything larger in matter then the equivalent of energy of which the bubble consists?

21 minutes ago, Nansuchao said:

The caps and the module around the main body would be science things, labs and crew space, nothing so important.

I had a feeling. But i couldn't find an explanation or schematic of the IXS which definitely stated what they were.

22 minutes ago, Nansuchao said:

To start the Alcubierre Drive you need the reactor (probably Matter/Antimatter) and the ring.

The exotic matter... as i read it its just another name for 'an undefined substance'. 

For the next update i was thinking of making the resource flow for the IXS like this: view?usp=sharinghttps://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5NBkNpM6eNdOGZWcTlZOWFYeUk/view?usp=sharing

29 minutes ago, Nansuchao said:

On a side note, this mod also has is Quantum Vacuum Drive. This is a very controversial concept and no one has still understood if this really gives thrust in change of energy or not. If yes, it will send to past a big part of the relativism and Quantum theory too.

The Quantum Vacuum drive was already in the mod. I think Sophia added it if i remember correctly. i guess what would be near-futury enough is some sort of buffed up ion thruster?

Thanks for taking the time to educate me a bit on this... if anything it'll help the mod get cooler to use

- No, I was not confusing Star Wars with Star Trek, just that if you call it Hyperspace, Subspace or Undefined Dimension, you're talking about the same thing.

- On Interstellar I intended the Interstellar Mod

The second ring was to have less work in the first one, to share the job, but mainly for aestethic reason

- When you move near a body in "normal" space you have to respect Newton: push out energy to change your speed. Notice that with a good pilot, you will not be lost in space, you just need something like the Quantum Vacuum Thruster that you already have and a lot of patience. A little trick to save time would be to use the Alcubierre Drive to stay more near your current periapsis, like Scott manley did in one of the lasts episode of Interstellar Quest (probably the last one).

- yes, something that overwhelm the energy of the bubble will stop it from work, but not little meteorites or debris.

- Exotic matter is probably another name of aether, but no one know that for sure.

- Sophia added the thruster similar to the Ion engine, Quantum Vacuum was in the first release.

- About the resource flow, as stated before, you don't need two rings, just one. But feel free to follow your idea. Talking about realism, a Tokamak reactor needs energy to sustain the Fusion reaction, or at least to start the reaction, as you can see also in the Interstellar Extended mod. You can make the reaction sustained by itself, but to start you need energy, a lot of energy. You can save energy from solar panels to make it work btw.

You're welcome.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2016 at 8:58 PM, Orderly Disorder said:

Noob question but how do you get it into warp speed because i cant seem to figure it out?

First, you have to make it 600+ km orbit, right click on the warp engine and start it up. point the ship in the direction of where you want to go and throttle up. Just make sure you have the reactors on and warp plasma. 

On 5/18/2016 at 2:35 PM, Nansuchao said:

- No, I was not confusing Star Wars with Star Trek, just that if you call it Hyperspace, Subspace or Undefined Dimension, you're talking about the same thing.

Them's fighting words! Science fiction fandom is serious business, mind how casual you are.

PSA:

@bengee777 just released a second copy of this mod onto space dock, not realizing that @Denko666 already beat him to it. What's more, bengee777's version has not been updated since 10/15 and this has a Warp plugin required to work. Denko666's version has been updated as recently as 4/30/16, so use his.

For clarification:

• bengee's version is labeled "Sophias Warpship" and should be probably be ignored.
  • Denko's version is labeled "IXS Warpship OS" and should be flown around while yelling "Zooooooooom" and being a boss.

I find it interesting that the licenses are also completely different and one doesn't have any source linked. Hmmm. I know you're new @bengee777, and your in intentions seem to be in the right place, but you're just going to create confusion if you just start re-releasing broken mods without doing due diligence.

------

Also, I believe it's on Curse, there is supposedly excellent IVA for the command bridge of this mod that is a separate download, that might be worth checking out.

Edit: Here is the IVA

Edited by Deimos Rast

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.