Is MechJeb Real?

ezequielandrush

As others have said, arguments against MechJeb tend to be based more in game mechanics than reality. When it comes to rockets, even most things that people consider to be manually flown are really fly-by-wire setups where the pilot tells the system what effect they want to achieve and the fly-by-wire system figures out how to decide it. The oft-mentioned manual landing on the Moon by Apollo 11 was really using features similar to MechJeb's translatron.

That said, MechJeb has an easier job than RL automation does, since it knows precisely how much acceleration a craft is capable of, the exact position and velocity of the craft, etc.

Personally, I fall into the category of players that let MechJeb handle anything that it can that I find boring, provided I can do it by hand. I don't like not understanding the process, because then I can't tell when MJ is doing something wrong or something other than what I think I told it to do.

My two cents.

1: Yes, most everything is done by auto pilot IRL.

2: However, astronauts have to know how to do everything manually in case something fails.

Moral of the story: Once you learn how to do something on your own correctly, feel free to automate it.

I agree with Eric S. above.

Personally, I installed MJ as a noob, and watched it do all of the things. Then I started removing functions..."OK, DuoDex, you can execute this node yourself...OK, DuoDex, you can dock yourself (using DockingAlignmentIndicator, but still)".

Now I use MechJeb for dV readouts, maneuver node creating, and Smart A.S.S., because I have no patience creating fiddly nodes, and stock SAS could use some work. I also used to use it for routine ascent guidance, until Filip came out with an "Routine Mission Manager".

MechJeb is definitely cheating, it takes all sense of accomplishment away from me.

I share this sentiment. I find a very nice substitute to be the Kerbal Engineering Redux mod -- it's a great compromise between MJ and stock game. It gives plenty of flight data to guide the pilot's inputs but doesn't take any skill away from you. And it takes all the backbreaking math out of building sensible rocket stages.

Another reason that real-life missions use autopilots is that some maneuvers are measured in microseconds (RCS burns spring to mind) and a squishy green pilot is in no way able to do these reliably. The only known exception to this is Jeb's famously fast reactions after 3 pints of Ike Pale Ale.

Edited by wossname

No matter the feelings people have about Mechjeb, you have to admit it's a pretty amazing bit of code, it doesn't just hold you on a course like a real world autopilot(or react to beacons/satnav co-ords), it actually tries to fly your vessel a if it were at the WASD controls.
This is true too. Sarbian is an pretty cool dude who makes things more realistic for all the RO scrubs who, for some strange reason, don't think the U.S. Air Force way is the best way.