1.0.2 career mode a joke!

So, put quickly, I started my first career mode, purely to see what it was like. After testing 7 different designs in career and sandbox, the career craft do not handle nowhere near the same. Using only stock parts, can someone explain to me the huge difference between them? As of now, I shant be using career again as to me its a complete joke.

So, put quickly, I started my first career mode, purely to see what it was like. After testing 7 different designs in career and sandbox, the career craft do not handle nowhere near the same. Using only stock parts, can someone explain to me the huge difference between them? As of now, I shant be using career again as to me its a complete joke.

There is absolutely zero difference in craft behaviour. There is some difference in crew behaviour. Are you attempting to fly with non-pilot Kerbals?

There is absolutely zero difference in craft behaviour. There is some difference in crew behaviour. Are you attempting to fly with non-pilot Kerbals?

I am using kerbals yes, so maybe their lack of experience is an issue?

- - - Updated - - -

How far did you get in career?

It works fine for me, but I've put in the hours to get my pilots skilled up.

about 3 hours with a few tech trees done.

- - - Updated - - -

There's no difference between how identical craft perform in career and sandbox. Could you care to elaborate on the problem you're seeing?

Craft do not act the same, even though between career and sandbox they are identical.....iin career the ship wont go more than 300m before spinning ...... in sandbox, over 11km easiky?

I'm sure one would notice if SAS can't be activated. That's the only difference I could imagine too tho.

//edit

Altho if you don't use pilot in sandbox and don't add probe core then it would be the same as in career.

I'm sure one would notice if SAS can't be activated. That's the only difference I could imagine too tho.

//edit

Altho if you don't use pilot in sandbox and don't add probe core then it would be the same as in career.

Actually, in sandbox, all Kerbals act as engineers, scientists, AND pilots of the highest tier.

Are you sure you were flying with a pilot, fly-by-wire nosecone, or advanced probe-core?

There should be no difference between career and sandbox flights at all, assuming they are made of the exact same parts. It's possible it's craft error, but it doesn't always flip out early.

SAS is basically the only thing kerbals with skills will have impact on a craft. Rest of the game is identical. Career just has limited resources and requires stuff to be unlocked. This does sound very strange.

Have you tried how things are in science mode?

Actually, in sandbox, all Kerbals act as engineers, scientists, AND pilots of the highest tier.

Are you sure you were flying with a pilot, fly-by-wire nosecone, or advanced probe-core?

There should be no difference between career and sandbox flights at all, assuming they are made of the exact same parts. It's possible it's craft error, but it doesn't always flip out early.

Mmm....ok. im flying with a kerbal so it appears that it could just be me as a pure sandbox player expecting the flight to be the same. I will carry on with career for a few more hours and see if it is just that. Thankyou to all that have answered and I will post my conclusion later today :)

Having done a bit of stand-up comedy (A chair people! Give me a chair, for Christ's sake) I can honestly say Career mode is not a joke. Not once has it enlisted even the merest chuckle from me or any of my various personalities. (Ok, Winslow laughs when Kerbals go poof. But Winslow also laughs at Tupperware burping. We're worried about Winslow.)

And Squad definitely needs a better writing staff. The contract descriptions read like they are being spit out by a computer program. And we're not talking Skynet level AI here. My TRS-80 wrote this bit and I'm betting you're spinning rapidly about your Y-axis on the flat linear walking surface, while experiencing a loss of your posterior.

So with respect to the OP, I disagree. Career mode is not laughable.

(Available for weddings and wakes)

Basically, get Jeb or Val inside your spaceships and enable SAS

I have jeb in the craft and while I still think its different than sandbox, I have mastered a little. Anyways, my conclusion is........sstick with sandbox, its far better :) thanks to all who have answered

And Squad definitely needs a better writing staff. The contract descriptions read like they are being spit out by a computer program. And we're not talking Skynet level AI here.

That's because they are written by a computer program. KSP stores a number of partial phrases and parameters, then generates contracts by combining those at semi-random based on the previous contracts and possibly science achievements reached.

That's because they are written by a computer program. KSP stores a number of partial phrases and parameters, then generates contracts by combining those at semi-random based on the previous contracts and possibly science achievements reached.

You missed the joke.

• 1 year later...

So, sorry to bring up an old thread but I was wrong . Career mode is actually great. A recent thread of mine, 

has made me try career again and stick with it. I've just orbited Kerbin and complete that mission and also reenter ed and landed so science galore! Looking forward to the next mission.....career mode....I got it all wrong.....

Ive found the default 'normal'   to be a bit of a joke now, but thts just because ive played so many careers its got so easy lol   just last week i got it down to 3 launches from a fresh career to land and return Jeb from the Mun.   it was out of order and i had more efficient things to do, but i got it done lol

getting it down to 2 tho i think will be to difficult,  I really need more than 30 parts, so a VAB upgrade is essential lol  But i am happy i found a reliable way to get the first 5 tech nodes from the first launch without wandering around the space center lol just a quick sub orbital trip.

11 hours ago, maceemiller said:

Career mode is actually great. A recent thread of mine [...] has made me try career again and stick with it. I've just orbited Kerbin and complete that mission and also reenter ed and landed so science galore! Looking forward to the next mission.....career mode....I got it all wrong.....

Good  to see that you enjoy the career. I don't play anything else.

I like the feeling of achievement when you unlock some new science or finish a contract. And I think that it teaches a lot about the game and the physics, because it starts with few parts, but also without the advanced probe core and pilots. Also, because you do not have limitless cash, it teaches you to be (at least a little) efficient in your designs.

11 hours ago, maceemiller said:

So, sorry to bring up an old thread [...]

It ain't necroing if you're the OP yourself, in my opinion. :)

2 hours ago, Magzimum said:

It ain't necroing if you're the OP yourself, in my opinion. :)

It ain't necroing if the topic is still relevant. But it's also ok to make a new thread and just link to the old one, if in doubt.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.