[WIP] Ascaron Aquanautics

Radion

\'Ello everyone. I\'ve decided to try my hand at modeling a good sized parts pack, and for that I\'ve decided to try and do something not yet done in large quantity. \'Yep, I\'ve decided to go ahead and model some boat parts for water-borne craft, be it hulls, ATC towers, engines, etc. This may take a while as I tweak a few things, but I have in mind to do the following -

Hulls

-Front Hull

-Mid Hull

-Back Hull

Engines

-Underwater Turbine (perhaps animated, uncertain right now)

-Overwater engine

-Maneuvering Engines

Miscellaneous

-New Command Module as ATC tower

-Runway Parts, for aircraft carriers

-Gun Mounting stations (sized to fit JellyCube\'s Railgun, not included)

Status Colors

-Being Modeled

-Being Textured

-Being CFG\'d

-Not currently worked on

-Done. Yay!

This is going to be an ambitious project, and I welcome any assistance, although I plan to work on this alone, for the most part. Thank you.

(If this is the wrong thread to post this, please tell me, and I\'ll be sure to move it to the correct location. Thanks.)

Screenshots!

Front Hull

2you7v7.png

Looks like the beginnings of a barge, more than a traditional boat, but still very good. I had big problems with the water physics when I was playing in the water, hope you have better luck.

Looks like the beginnings of a barge, more than a traditional boat, but still very good. I had big problems with the water physics when I was playing in the water, hope you have better luck.

Thanks. The barge-type feel is only for the first iteration. I want to get a workable boat done first, then get into specifics. Speaking of which, the Midhull is prepped for viewing. The box-like extrusion is where the command tower will go after its modeled.

b7nj1d.png

Nice! :o

Will this be used in the new RP to encourage unique designs?

Also, I don\'t know about anyone else but things I have put into the water have had some issues... One or two must kinda lift above the water causing repeated splashes and much lag... Will this float lower and thus reduce splashes?

Nice! :o

Will this be used in the new RP to encourage unique designs?

Also, I don\'t know about anyone else but things I have put into the water have had some issues... One or two must kinda lift above the water causing repeated splashes and much lag... Will this float lower and thus reduce splashes?

I plan to have it that way. I haven\'t been able to work on this, being preoccupied with RL projects and the new website. I\'ll probably continue work once I\'m done with the other two.

I plan to have it that way. I haven\'t been able to work on this, being preoccupied with RL projects and the new website. I\'ll probably continue work once I\'m done with the other two.

I wish i had the skill to model things like that. Its really just UV unwrapping and texturing that gets me.

When you get around to adding motors, what if you built a boat motor model that was a rocket, has zero fuel consumption, its minimum thrust is say -70 and its maximum thrust is 70. This way if you placed the throttle at 50% it would be at 0 thrust and in neutral. Lowering the thrust would move your boat backwards and you could still increase it to move forward. Add in some custom boat motor sound files and Bob\'s your uncle :) I never tested this though to see if reversing the thrust would even work, or if it would shoot the exhaust back at the motor and cause it to overheat and explode.

I love the boat idea. I saw a program on TV that mentioned using decommissioned oil rigs as launch towers,something about being able to move them into position to reduce the fuel required to get the rockets into the correct orbit (and other technical stuff). It could be very Kerbal indeed. Not sure if it fits in with what you\'re doing, but could be interesting down the track.

When you get around to adding motors, what if you built a boat motor model that was a rocket, has zero fuel consumption, its minimum thrust is say -70 and its maximum thrust is 70. This way if you placed the throttle at 50% it would be at 0 thrust and in neutral. Lowering the thrust would move your boat backwards and you could still increase it to move forward. Add in some custom boat motor sound files and Bob\'s your uncle :) I never tested this though to see if reversing the thrust would even work, or if it would shoot the exhaust back at the motor and cause it to overheat and explode.

I think that negative thrust won\'t do anything. It whould be better to use a MuMechServo to rotate engines (or overgimbal, but that could fail, I can remind a game where I had to hold my joystick rotated to control a damn symmetrical ferry ???)