Help with custom flag

So, I decided to make my custom Catson Space Program flag. I made the flag without problems, but implementing it is an issue. I know how to insert a flag into KSP, but I am having other problems. The flag needs to be in .png format, but that does not work for me. I made it with Firealpaca, the problem are the layers. It tells me that layers can't be used with .png format, but KSP does not accept it in the Firealpaca format. Can you tell me, how you work around this problem or how to solve it? Cheers :D!

Edited by ZentroCatson
Workaround found!

No surprise KSP will not accept a flag with layers :) Does firealpaca have an export function? If so, then even if you can't export to .png directly you should be able to export as .jpg or .gif or something that you can pull into Paint and change to .png there. If you can't export, then I would take a screenshot of the flag in Firealpaca and edit the screenshot down to the proper size in Paint, then save as .png.

Most image manipulation programs these days will have an export function that will let you make an image in whatever file format you need it to be in. I myself use GIMP when I need to do something fancier than what I can do with MS Paint (I use Windows, obviously).

Push comes to shove, you oughta be able to take a screenshot with whatever native OS you're utilizing; for Windows, it's Alt-PrtScn, for Mac it's Command-Shift-3. You can then crop the image to the correct size in the native Paint program (MS Paint or Paintbrush) as needed and save it as a .png from there. Saving in the PNG format almost always merges layers into one.

Just a quick addition: when your graphics program says layers can't be used in png format, it most likely means to warn you that if you continue to save as a png, the layer information will be lost, should you ever want to edit it again. Since you do want to lose the layer information (as png doesn't support it) you should continue to save, ignoring that warning.

You may also, of course, want to save a copy in Firealpaca's native format, with the layers, in case you do ever want to edit it again.

Oh, I'm actually using a Mac with OSX. I don't know if OSX has a native paint program.

It does; it's called Paintbrush. Look for it in your Finder under Applications.

AlexinTokyo is right though - you'll want to save your file in Firealpaca's native format if you think you might want to make changes to it later, but go ahead and ignore any warnings about layering when you go to save the png.

I looked at the Finder and searched for it, but I don't seem to have Paintbrush.

Edit:

I used capi3101's method, hopefully it works. I will tell it tomorrow, as I can't play any more today.

Edit: It worked! Now I can use my own flag. It's just a screenshot with some text, sadly I can't draw that good on the computer.

Edited by ZentroCatson

I looked at the Finder and searched for it, but I don't seem to have Paintbrush.

Use Preview. You can also download and install a good open-source paint program (if you can't afford Photoshop) like The Gimp that can save in a decent format.

Does this "Fire Alpaca" program have a "Layer merge" or "flatten" command you can try prior to saving as a PNG?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.