[1.0.5] Behemoth Aerospace Engineering Large Parts v1.3.5 (2015-11-15)

greystork

Gravitational wave observatory (Laser Interferometer Gravitational wave Observatory)

Neutrino detector

Deep core drilling (I also wouldn't mind an extra large drilling rig for just ore, something not radially mounted.)

Giant radio telescope perhaps?

THE SLAB

A very large NMRI. There is a mod that goes into more depth on the science (repeat experiments under different conditions)

that I think would pair well, but I don't remember what the name of it is...

How about a giant size mixed used science lab and habitat? Hold more data, and carry along a whole team with you! If you do decide to do that, it would be nice to have it convert data much faster then the stock module, also would be nice to have a big antenna to transmit the science faster as well.

Hm, maybe a multi package? E.g. a single part bringing the functions of all science equipment combined?

Yeah, that's something worth considering. It might have to be a combination of things.

Gravitational wave observatory (Laser Interferometer Gravitational wave Observatory)

Neutrino detector

Deep core drilling (I also wouldn't mind an extra large drilling rig for just ore, something not radially mounted.)

Giant radio telescope perhaps?

THE SLAB

A very large NMRI. There is a mod that goes into more depth on the science (repeat experiments under different conditions)

that I think would pair well, but I don't remember what the name of it is...

How about a giant size mixed used science lab and habitat? Hold more data, and carry along a whole team with you! If you do decide to do that, it would be nice to have it convert data much faster then the stock module, also would be nice to have a big antenna to transmit the science faster as well.

All good suggestions, but KSP is so centered around planetary science that something like eLISA or a neutrino detector would be hard to justify. There should probably be a reason to orbit (or land on) different planets. I like the deep core drill and science lab ideas, although the latter isn't strictly a science experiment, but I think people will be happy as long as they can earn science points, somehow.

You should look into behemoth sized capsules/service modules for these bad boys!

I've looked into that, and it is a LOT of work to implement the IVA. That will probably have to wait a while.

Since people seem to be suggesting features, maybe combining some of the parts into procedural ones to reduce parts count?

I've thought of that for the tanks, at least, but haven't had time to look into the requirements, yet. That will probably also have to wait a bit.

Oh God I Don't Even Σ(゜o ゜)

tk2WhzZ.jpg

Love this stuff.

edit: Got the issue that the weight of these solar panel stacks causes them to tilt outside of the casing. Needs more regidity!

Oh God I Don't Even Σ(゜o ゜)

Love this stuff.

edit: Got the issue that the weight of these solar panel stacks causes them to tilt outside of the casing. Needs more regidity!

Nice picture of the solar panels! Glad you seem to like the size!

Regarding rigidity, the panels actually do not have a mass. What happens is that the secondary solar panel (the one that comes out upside down) is always 'on', and so turns toward the sun, even when folded, if you don't have anything on top of it. It's complicated, obviously, but it was a compromise I had to make in order to make both solar panels work with a single extension/retraction animation. Normally, you won't have the solar panels at the very top of your stack, so I figured it wouldn't be a huge problem.

I see. Was a bit surprised how they neither were treated as aerodynamic objects nor caused weight shifts.

I can fix it, if it turns out to be too much of an annoyance, but that would mean the two solar panel arrays would have to have separate animations, which means you'd need to deploy them separately; first one, then the other.

I can fix it, if it turns out to be too much of an annoyance, but that would mean the two solar panel arrays would have to have separate animations, which means you'd need to deploy them separately; first one, then the other.

Sounds like a good compromise to me. The longer deploy time will mostly matter when you're reguarly unfolding the panels, but that's also when the visual bug becomes more apparent.

Sounds like a good compromise to me. The longer deploy time will mostly matter when you're reguarly unfolding the panels, but that's also when the visual bug becomes more apparent.

Alright, then, I'll see what I can figure out.

Okay, two separate animations will not work. Instead, I will combine the two arrays into one, and thus have only one (slightly longer) animation that unfolds everything. To make things symmetric, there will be 4 panels less, so instead of a total of 36000 ec/s for two arrays, the single array will output 35300 ec/s for the 10m varieties. Of course, no one says you can't stack two - or four - arrays on top of each other if you need more.

Awesome! Thanks for fixing it so fast.

You're welcome!

Now for that/those science experiment(s)... Any more ideas for a physically large planetary science experiment, out there, before I make a decision? Here are the 'requirements':

• There should preferably be a reason for it to be physically large.
  • It should be centered on planetary science (orbiting and/or landed).
  • It should preferably be biome specific.

Thanks to everyone who have come forth with suggestions, so far!

Edited by greystork

I don't know how it could be done exactly, but I think as a "science" or "mining" feature that would justify 10m size would be something that could "eat" asteroids whole. :)

Otherwise the only things coming to mind are:

* A consolidated experiment bay. One part that contains all of the stock experiments (part count reduction).

* A deployable observatory.

I don't know how it could be done exactly, but I think as a "science" or "mining" feature that would justify 10m size would be something that could "eat" asteroids whole. :)

I'm not sure I could come up with a believable animation that would unfold machinery big enough for that. :)

Otherwise the only things coming to mind are:

* A consolidated experiment bay. One part that contains all of the stock experiments (part count reduction).

* A deployable observatory.

I think we have two votes on the consolidated experiments bay, now, so perhaps that's what I should go with, although I also like your deployable observatory idea. Are you thinking surface deployable, like, for instance, in a crater on the 'dark' side of Mun? A 10 meter telescope would surely be able to get some amazing shots of all the planets - perhaps even enough surface detail to make out biomes.

I'm not sure I could come up with a believable animation that would unfold machinery big enough for that. :)

Yeah, I know. I just think it would be hilarious if someone could figure that out. :)

I think we have two votes on the consolidated experiments bay, now, so perhaps that's what I should go with, although I also like your deployable observatory idea. Are you thinking surface deployable, like, for instance, in a crater on the 'dark' side of Mun? A 10 meter telescope would surely be able to get some amazing shots of all the planets - perhaps even enough surface detail to make out biomes.

Yep, that's kinda what I was thinking. Mun-based observatories and the like.

All textures are in DDS format. Most fuel tanks have their own texture, however, which is something I've considered changing.

Could you please not convert the agency flag to DDS? I can't run both BAE and Contract Configurator when playing a Career mode. I get no contracts when I do.

(Background) I have been fighting an issue where I get no contracts in a Career game. I found a post by Nightingale that indicated a belief that DDS format can cause an issue with Contract Configurator. Looking in my log (now that i had a clue what to look for) I found the same error that Nightingale had pointed out. I took a copy of my entire KSP directory, removed /BAE and started a new Career. I got contracts. I'm getting around this for now by just removing the /agency folder from BAE.

Edited by Padrone
Forgot something.

Could you please not convert the agency flag to DDS? I can't run both BAE and Contract Configurator when playing a Career mode. I get no contracts when I do.

(Background) I have been fighting an issue where I get no contracts in a Career game. I found a post by Nightingale that indicated a belief that DDS format can cause an issue with Contract Configurator. Looking in my log (now that i had a clue what to look for) I found the same error that Nightingale had pointed out. I took a copy of my entire KSP directory, removed /BAE and started a new Career. I got contracts. I'm getting around this for now by just removing the /agency folder from BAE.

The agency flag has been in PNG format since version 1.2.0 - are you using the latest download (v1.3.1)?

Edit: Also, remember to delete the entire BAE folder from GameData before installing a new version!

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I know. I just think it would be hilarious if someone could figure that out. :)

Is it time for 100m parts? :D

Edited by greystork

The agency flag has been in PNG format since version 1.2.0 - are you using the latest download (v1.3.1)?

Edit: Also, remember to delete the entire BAE folder from GameData before installing a new version!

Yes, I'm using the current version (1.3.1). If you'll look at the in the zip file, under /Flags, you'll see a 'Behemoth.DDS' file.

I'll re-setup my test environment tonight and try replacing that with the .png from /Agencies. I don't think that will work because whatever's calling for that file in /Flags is probably callling for "Behemoth.DDS", not just "Behemoth".

Right now, I'm just running with 1.3.1 and deleted the /Agencies directory. That way I get my varied contracts from Contract Configurator, and my mondo lift bodies from BAE.

Running under Ubuntu 14.10, Intel i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz and 16gb of memory. KSP has 172 mods and uses 7.6Gb of memory at start. Here's what I have so far:

1) Backed up the current game to another directory far, far away and outside of <steam>\<KSP game directory>.

2) Deleted the BAE folder from the <production>\GameData folder, reinstalled BAE from the 1.3.1 zip file, ran the game.

I got all my contracts, but all of them are now from USI. If I remember correctly from before, when this happens I will not get any new contracts. Once the existing ones are gone, I'm done with that career.

3) Restored my backup to the 'production' folder, deleted the BAE folder, reinstalled BAE from the zip file, deleted /flags/behemoth.dds and copied /agencies/behemoth.png into /flags, ran the game. (Yes, I emptied 'production' folder before I restored the backup to it.)

KSP crashed before finishing loading. Log files didn't come close to ending at the same point, one was talking about the Chop Shop mod, the other was talking about a different mod.

Deleted the ModuleManager.ConfigCache and ModuleManager.ConfigSHA files, restarted. (I've learned this often let's KSP start up normally after modifications to the loaded mods.)

Crashed again. KSP.log claims "Using memoryadresses from more that 16GB of memory". Player.log says "UnloadTime: 38.008999 ms Using memoryadresses from more that 16GB of memory"

4) Restored backup, deleted BAE folder, reinstalled BAE, deleted the "Agents.cfg" file from the BAE/Agencies directory.

Game starts, contacts are from a variety of agencies.

FYI if you look in BAE/Flags, there is a Behemoth.dds file

Please let me know what I can do next to help determine were the error lies. I can get logs on dropbox. Screenshots are a bit trickier as I don't have a screenshot program on my Ubuntu box.

Edited by Padrone
Forgot one thing...

FYI if you look in BAE/Flags, there is a Behemoth.dds file

I am aware of that, but it shouldn't affect contracts, as it is only used as a flag decal. Just so there's no confusion, I will make it a PNG in future versions.

Please let me know what I can do next to help determine were the error lies. I can get logs on dropbox. Screenshots are a bit trickier as I don't have a screenshot program on my Ubuntu box.

It sounds to me as if you're running out of memory, which can happen when you have too many mods installed. Is there another mod (preferably one that has contracts) you can remove temporarily and see if that fixes the problem?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.