Question for mod authors...

tg626

aFkme50.jpg

Seriously, this ought to be mandatory, it would cut down on hunting/missing updates and it's super easy to use - you can even use a github or any other repository for the comparison file.

Just seems like a no brainer to me...

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/79745-1-0-2-KSP-AVC-Add-on-Version-Checker-Plugin-1-1-5-MiniAVC-KSP-AVC-Online

Ummm. Because CBA ;)

Same with CKAN. Seriously, its more stuff for me to mess about with, so it doesn't happen. End of. Might be a no brainer for people who can't be bothered to check for an update once in a while or read an OP, but look at it from the other side. I won't comment on it being mandatory.

I personally feel that AVC is too heavy-handed for my tastes.

On the other hand, I'm quite fond of CKAN, as it helps newbies install my add-ons properly without worrying about whether they forgot a dependency or something.

I personally feel that AVC is too heavy-handed for my tastes.

On the other hand, I'm quite fond of CKAN, as it helps newbies install my add-ons properly without worrying about whether they forgot a dependency or something.

IMO I think there both a joke and waste no telling what came first but then come AVC and then CKAN but thats all you see in alot of threads is that CKAN didn't get something or if the mod don't use it there not going to use the mod and that they use CKAN because they don't have time to update but they have time to goto the thread and cry really.

Furthermore... I'm not keen on mods getting automatically updated. On numerous occasions I've updated a mod (like IR) and found a change I didn't like (tweakscale) and ended up reinstalling the old version.

I think an AVC file helps both players and mod makers, and should be standard. It shortens the lifetime of outdated versions, and people can give version numbers for their bug reports. Before KIS had it I even could not tell what version I was on. There really should be some version number in an installed mod, so why not write it down in a commonly accepted format?

http://i.imgur.com/aFkme50.jpg

Seriously, this ought to be mandatory, it would cut down on hunting/missing updates and it's super easy to use - you can even use a github or any other repository for the comparison file.

Just seems like a no brainer to me...

Because I literally don't care, and the fact that you made a cute little meme makes me want to care even less than I do now. Basically it's just more junk work, potential support issues, figuring out someone else's hare-brained schema, and random complaining on top of all the other crap people want while programming/scripting for fun in my spare time on top of my wife/kid/8-hour-a-day job/day-to-day routine.

- - - Updated - - -

As for CKAN, if you're using KerbalStuff it's literally just a checkbox.
And this is exactly why I put my stuff on CKAN, it's no extra work for me.

I ended up creating some small mods myself, and I hardly know how to program. If someone asks me to call a function, I'll sit there with a blank face. So adding in extra work (which isn't really all that fun either) on top of: getting and processing an idea; learning how to: C# Unity and 3D modelling/texturing; downloading using Visual Studio, Unity, Gimp and Blender; learning other mod dependencies; set up accounts for image sharing, github, file sharing; testing, testing, balancing, retesting; learning and setting up licenses, writing long threads for development and release; taking, editing, uploading and posting pics (or no clicks), writing user manuals and documentation; fixing bugs; updating; etc etc. On top of that have to eat, sleep, go to university, do dishes, laundry, maybe even play the game? would just be spoiling the fun for me.

But not to pour too much negatives into this thread, I think we should see the opportunity in all this! Since I personally wouldn't mind if someone were to suddenly stuff AVC into my mods for me, or put it on CKAN (as well as doing other useful stuff, which is otherwise tedious). I would suggest that the OP, seeing the high spirits (or anyone for that matter), should try get together a team for doing practical stuff like that. Sort of like an outsourced support team.

Using both is too easy for me not to bother with.

My contract pack was the first time I've ever done anything like that, used github, etc, and getting the files done to use both AVC and CKAN didn't take me long.

Once it's on CKAN all I have to do is change the .version file and upload it with my new version zip and ckan will update too.

Furthermore... I'm not keen on mods getting automatically updated. On numerous occasions I've updated a mod (like IR) and found a change I didn't like (tweakscale) and ended up reinstalling the old version.

Neither AVC or CKAN automatically update to the best of my knowledge. They just tell you that there is a new version and then you can do whatever you want.

But not to pour too much negatives into this thread, I think we should see the opportunity in all this! Since I personally wouldn't mind if someone were to suddenly stuff AVC into my mods for me, or put it on CKAN (as well as doing other useful stuff, which is otherwise tedious). I would suggest that the OP, seeing the high spirits (or anyone for that matter), should try get together a team for doing practical stuff like that. Sort of like an outsourced support team.

In your case you have only given dropbox links, while I'm guessing you probably use github like most. If you shared those github links a kind soul might just add the required file for you.

Edited by DBT85

Neither AVC nor CKAN auto-update. AVC nags you, which you can ignore, and CKAN provides a button to update all your mods, but it is a manual button press (after you manually load CKAN and manually refresh the available mods)

Both AVC and CKAN are 100% optional for the user, but for those users that like AVC, it requires support from the developer.

Developer includes .version file: User has to explicitly install AVC in order to use it, can choose to stop using it at any time

Developer includes .version file and MiniAVC .dll: User gets to choose whether to use MiniAVC on first startup

Developer doesn't include .version file: User has no choice whether to use AVC or not

CKAN doesn't require developer support (other people can write the .ckan file) but it obviously works better if the developer keeps it updated (easiest by just using KerbalStuff as one of your download sites).

I have one plugin and AVC is bigger than that plugin. Also, AVC gets updated more frequently than that plugin. It isn't worth it.

You don't have to include the MiniAVC .dll in your plugin (and shouldn't include the full AVC); you just need a .version file, which is like 5 lines of text.

I think AVC is actually more worth it for infrequently-updated mods. For the mods that update all the time, people are more apt to check for new versions; however for something that changes once every 6 months, they're not going to check manually if it's been updated.

Likewise I use an RSS aggregator (feedly.com) to read web comics - because they're infrequently updated, I'm not going to check 20 different sites every day to see what's been updated or remember to check them on a schedule; instead I check one page to tell me what's new.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.