Make the heat shield fairing flush with the heat shield

Currently, when you attach a heat shield to a decoupler, you get that ugly white protruding fairing that covers it and juts out. Can't we just have it so the fairing is in line with the edge of the rest of the stack.

Just an aesthetic issue :)

yeah, the stock heat shield fairings just seem out of place.

Does anybody know how to disable the heat shield fairings completely in the meantime? they look better without it and I tweak the decoupler beneath it always so it touches the shield, a bit compacter and it looks better when the fairings disappear.

• 2 months later...

This is actually already solved ... kind of. There are actually two nodes on the bottom of heatshields now. It's a bit of pain sometimes, but if you attach decouplers to the higher node, it simply doesn't have a fairing, instead having the decoupler up close and flush with the heatshield. :)

This is actually already solved ... kind of. There are actually two nodes on the bottom of heatshields now. It's a bit of pain sometimes, but if you attach decouplers to the higher node, it simply doesn't have a fairing, instead having the decoupler up close and flush with the heatshield. :)

That's clipping and could cause your vessel to explode.

That's clipping and could cause your vessel to explode.

I have found if the decoupler/separator is big enough to separate the heat shield from the structure beneath, then it's fine. I wouldn't use the 2.5m separator (2 pieces) though. It causes the heat shield to remain attached to the structure beneath by a thread, even though they are considered separate vessels. I had a large fuel tank with Nervs attached to it, coming back from Jool, and it lead to some... tricky landing situations. The capsule survived, along with all of the crew :D

Really? Huh, never knew that. Guess I've just been lucky so far. Seems odd that Squad would add an extra node there, in that case.

It is not clipping, it is a purposeful change to allow players to avoid the automatic fairing if they choose to do so.

* Removed transparency and added direct-attach node to heat shields.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.