[1.12.x] DeepFreeze (v0.31.0) 12th Sep 2021

JPLRepo

1 hour ago, Taylor7500 said:

To clarify - is there a way to set Kerbals to thaw on a timer, so if I'm using RemoteTech I can configure it before they go out of range and they'll thaw after the allotted time? Just trying to plan my missions ahead here.

Yes. Install Kerbal Alarm Clock if you haven't already.
Once it is installed the process is:
Create a KAC alarm for your vessel at the appropriate time/soi change/whatever parameters you require the alarm to trigger using KAC mod screens.
Once you have a KAC alarm created bring up the DeepFreeze menu.
Click "Alarms"
Modify the alarm and select the buttons for what you want to happen when the KAC alarm is triggers. EG: Thaw Jeb, etc.
Save the alarm settings in DeepFreeze.
All this has to be done whilst you have a RemoteTech connection. But you do not need a RemoteTech connection when the Alarm triggers. The DeepFreezer will automatically execute your Thaw/Freeze commands when the KAC alarm is triggered.

Refer to the KSPedia pages for DeepFreeze in the game
- the Alarms button can be seen on the "VesselMenu" page in KSPedia (bottom right corner of the screenshot).
- the KACMenu page gives an overview of the setting the alarm settings menu.

Edited by JPLRepo

5 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

Hmmm... that is interesting. I'll need the log... If you can zip the save file with it that might be useful. The message appears where in the code it is trying to check all known vessels. So could be something is iffy in the save file.

Yup no problem... 

Link to log files

19 hours ago, rasta013 said:

Yup no problem... 

Link to log files

Wow, so many errors from so many mods. I don't think DeepFreeze is the cause of your worries.
I don't know where to begin with so many mods. Your best bet would be to try and isolate the problem.
Copy your install and remove half your mods. See what that does. Still have issues, half it again until you can narrow it down.
Are you sure all the mods you have installed are updated for KSP 1.1?
I notice a lot of errors seem to be related to the Psystem (planets controller). Including DeepFreeze is trying to get vessel info from the game and failing. Which is the DeepFreeze error. Some way through your log.
That's all I can suggest. I have already tightened up the code DeepFreeze uses for checking vessels (well I did for my AmpYear mod, and it's shared between the two) I just haven't updated and released DeepFreeze with that code yet. But that isn't really going to fix your problem as it starts much earlier in your log.

3 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

Wow, so many errors from so many mods. I don't think DeepFreeze is the cause of your worries.
I don't know where to begin with so many mods. Your best bet would be to try and isolate the problem.
Copy your install and remove half your mods. See what that does. Still have issues, half it again until you can narrow it down.
Are you sure all the mods you have installed are updated for KSP 1.1?
I notice a lot of errors seem to be related to the Psystem (planets controller). Including DeepFreeze is trying to get vessel info from the game and failing. Which is the DeepFreeze error. Some way through your log.
That's all I can suggest. I have already tightened up the code DeepFreeze uses for checking vessels (well I did for my AmpYear mod, and it's shared between the two) I just haven't updated and released DeepFreeze with that code yet. But that isn't really going to fix your problem as it starts much earlier in your log.

LMAO!  Yeah I know.  200+ mods but believe it or not only 2 on there that aren't updated for 1.1.2 and both of them are 1.1.1 (HyperEdit was on there during that log capture and also RCS Build Aid which has issues but mostly works without any game killing problems).  Giving a bug report like this one always makes me nervous because of my install size but when something breaks it I tend to bring it up just on the off chance my craziness has uncovered something really buried.  I'll definitely keep playing around with it and see if I can isolate where the issue is coming from.  It may be a simple matter of getting the latest DF code when you release it as it might just be stumbling on.  I've gotten used to my logs because of my install size and know which errors are supposed to be there (even if aggravating) and which are not.  If I can actually isolate anything that's causing it I will report back.  It was for this reason that I didn't open a github issue as it's as likely my setup as it is an actual bug.  Thanks for looking though!

5 minutes ago, rasta013 said:

LMAO!  Yeah I know.  200+ mods but believe it or not only 2 on there that aren't updated for 1.1.2 and both of them are 1.1.1 (HyperEdit was on there during that log capture and also RCS Build Aid which has issues but mostly works without any game killing problems).  Giving a bug report like this one always makes me nervous because of my install size but when something breaks it I tend to bring it up just on the off chance my craziness has uncovered something really buried.  I'll definitely keep playing around with it and see if I can isolate where the issue is coming from.  It may be a simple matter of getting the latest DF code when you release it as it might just be stumbling on.  I've gotten used to my logs because of my install size and know which errors are supposed to be there (even if aggravating) and which are not.  If I can actually isolate anything that's causing it I will report back.  It was for this reason that I didn't open a github issue as it's as likely my setup as it is an actual bug.  Thanks for looking though!

I don't think DeepFreeze code update will fix your problem.
It's more deep seated than that. The failure in DeepFreeze occurs when it is trying ot get a list of all vessels from the stock game API. Which is failing.
That indicates something much more sinister. My fix will just handle it - in that DeepFreeze won't get an exception, just log an error saying it can't update any vessel info.
It won't make the problem go away though.

9 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

I don't think DeepFreeze code update will fix your problem.
It's more deep seated than that. The failure in DeepFreeze occurs when it is trying ot get a list of all vessels from the stock game API. Which is failing.
That indicates something much more sinister. My fix will just handle it - in that DeepFreeze won't get an exception, just log an error saying it can't update any vessel info.
It won't make the problem go away though.

OK very good to know, thanks!  That'll make me work much harder to find where I'm shooting myself in the foot.

On 5/28/2016 at 11:57 PM, JPLRepo said:

Create a KAC alarm for your vessel at the appropriate time/soi change/whatever parameters you require the alarm to trigger using KAC mod screens.
Click "Alarms"
Modify the alarm and select the buttons for what you want to happen when the KAC alarm is triggers. EG: Thaw Jeb, etc.
All this has to be done whilst you have a RemoteTech connection. But you do not need a RemoteTech connection when the Alarm triggers. The DeepFreezer will automatically execute your Thaw/Freeze commands when the KAC alarm is triggered.

- the Alarms button can be seen on the "VesselMenu" page in KSPedia (bottom right corner of the screenshot).

That's awesome, thanks. Do I need to be looking at/running the ship in question when the alarm goes off or will it do it automatically in the background?

10 hours ago, Taylor7500 said:

That's awesome, thanks. Do I need to be looking at/running the ship in question when the alarm goes off or will it do it automatically in the background?

You need to switch to the vessel when the KAC alarm goes off.
EDIT: You should get a pop up menu when this occurs and an option to switch to the vessel. But if you do not it "Should" execute the commands when you eventually switch to the vessel (As long as you do not delete the KAC alarm). AS soon as you delete the KAC alarm it's cancelled.

Edited by JPLRepo

On 29/05/2016 at 9:09 AM, rasta013 said:

OK very good to know, thanks!  That'll make me work much harder to find where I'm shooting myself in the foot.

I feel so bad... I think there is a bug in DeepFreeze causing problems with the Vessels not appearing in the vessel list in the DeepFreeze GUI window.
Investigating...

Update, hurray!

Two things:

• Under Features in the OP, it lists all the Life Support mods DF is compatible with, but neglects to mention TACLS (but later does down below).
  • What are your thoughts on a "Glykerkol ISRU" or someway to make it quasi-renewable? Obviously, it has far reaching balance implications, but if you make it large, expensive, and hot ...it would probably be planetary only. I'll be honest, I'm not sure if there is too much of a need for it, but I just hate the idea of a "non-renewable resource" from a gameplay perspective. Could make it punishingly inefficient if you want (since you don't need much) and slow, since time means something different to frozen kerbs.
    • I'm just envisioning a far flung outpost where, due to changes in the orbit, the climate becomes vastly different and kerbals freeze themselves to get through till it becomes hospitable again. At which time they go about producing Glykerkol (or they had automated production facilities producing it while they were hibernating) for the next cycle. Or something.
    • I know the mod is more designed for a "I have a 3 year voyage ahead of me and I want to cut down on the food budget, better freeze the crew" type scenarios, but with a single part it, some new situations open up. Of course one could just rewrite the stock ISRU for it (which I started to do in 1.0.5), but that's no fun.:P

Since you solved that Bug-Not-A-Bug, I have a couple of doozies for you that I've been saving up.

• First: rotating the mouse appears to cause the internal transparent pod in the Cry-0300 freezer to open repeatedly, making a noise. I even made a video of it here (minute long). Can get quite annoying in space.
  • Second: DF Alarms aren't working properly for me (never have), with no real error, except the one below when I tried creating a "Crew Member" alarm. Unfortunately, everything below the quote (see below) I started typing a previous day, and have since lost that save and log. I could probably recreate it though.

Suggestion (Unrelated): Currently there is only "Open/Close Door" available with Action Groups. Any chance Freeze/Thaw could be available as well? I ask because I frequently use Smart Parts to create emergency type switches, and I'd like to be able to have an emergency setup for "in the event of Glykerkol/ElectricCharge reaching x%, execute Abort Action Group" which contains the "Thaw" command. I think it would open up a lot of flexibility.

--

On 5/28/2016 at 5:57 PM, JPLRepo said:

Click "Alarms"

So should some of these alarms be visible in DeepFreeze? I've never seen an alarm in DF and I've had DF and KAC installed since forever. I tried creating a "Crew member" alarm (logical, right?) but DF really didn't like that and started throwing NREs (which I copied below).

AqSMaEZ.png

160607T102008.316 [INFO] [DF.DFIntMemory.CheckKACAlarmsUpdate] DeepFreeze invalid KAC alarm GUID caught (Paice Kerman)

160607T102040.516 [ERROR] [UNKNOWN] GUI Error: You are pushing more GUIClips than you are popping. Make sure they are balanced)
160607T102040.518 [EXCEPTION] FormatException: Invalid format for Guid.Guid(string).
System.Guid+GuidParser.ParseChar (Char c)
System.Guid+GuidParser.ParseGuid2 ()
System.Guid+GuidParser.Parse ()
System.Guid..ctor (System.String g)
DF.DeepFreezeGUI.windowKAC (Int32 id)
UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID)
UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style)

4 minutes ago, Deimos Rast said:

Since you solved that Bug-Not-A-Bug, I have a couple of doozies for you that I've been saving up.

• First: rotating the mouse appears to cause the internal transparent pod in the Cry-0300 freezer to open repeatedly, making a noise. I even made a video of it here (minute long). Can get quite annoying in space.
  • Second: DF Alarms aren't working properly for me (never have), with no real error, except the one below when I tried creating a "Crew Member" alarm. Unfortunately, everything below the quote (see below) I started typing a previous day, and have since lost that save and log. I could probably recreate it though.

Suggestion (Unrelated): Currently there is only "Open/Close Door" available with Action Groups. Any chance Freeze/Thaw could be available as well? I ask because I frequently use Smart Parts to create emergency type switches, and I'd like to be able to have an emergency setup for "in the event of Glykerkol/ElectricCharge reaching x%, execute Abort Action Group" which contains the "Thaw" command. I think it would open up a lot of flexibility.

--

So should some of these alarms be visible in DeepFreeze? I've never seen an alarm in DF and I've had DF and KAC installed since forever. I tried creating a "Crew member" alarm (logical, right?) but DF really didn't like that and started throwing NREs (which I copied below).

AqSMaEZ.png

160607T102008.316 [INFO] [DF.DFIntMemory.CheckKACAlarmsUpdate] DeepFreeze invalid KAC alarm GUID caught (Paice Kerman)

160607T102040.516 [ERROR] [UNKNOWN] GUI Error: You are pushing more GUIClips than you are popping. Make sure they are balanced)
160607T102040.518 [EXCEPTION] FormatException: Invalid format for Guid.Guid(string).
System.Guid+GuidParser.ParseChar (Char c)
System.Guid+GuidParser.ParseGuid2 ()
System.Guid+GuidParser.Parse ()
System.Guid..ctor (System.String g)
DF.DeepFreezeGUI.windowKAC (Int32 id)
UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID)
UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style)

On the first problem, that's actually JSI Advanced transparent pods I think. You can see the setting for that swapping from Obstructed to ON over and over. I'll take a look at it, but that is going to be a tough one to crack.
As for the KAC alarms integration. I'll investigate. I've never had any issues before and testing has never shown any problems.

and your final request, action groups for freeze/thaw - that's not really going to be possible. Simply because the freeze/thaw events are tied to actual kerbals frozen in the part. So you can't just have a generic freeze or thaw, as it needs to have a kerbal linked to the event. Maybe, just maybe, I could look at something using the existing emergency thaw processing code that I have already written that automatically thaws ALL frozen kerbals on-board. But I can't promise when I will get to that. Perhaps the focus should just be on what your KAC integration issue is for now.

I'll try to replicate the KAC/DF issue using a stripped down install and see if I can get you an actual log (I know your policy well). Solving the alarm issue would go along way to alleviating the need for the emergency Thaw button (although still would be neat).

I can say I never had the pod clicking issue back when it was a part of RPM proper, back in 1.0.5.

Just now, Deimos Rast said:

I'll try to replicate the KAC/DF issue using a stripped down install and see if I can get you an actual log (I know your policy well). Solving the alarm issue would go along way to alleviating the need for the emergency Thaw button (although still would be neat).

I can say I never had the pod clicking issue back when it was a part of RPM proper, back in 1.0.5.

That's ok... I'll see if I can get any errors myself first.

That's because back in 1.0.5 it (JSI ATP) did things in an entirely different way to the way it works in the 1.1+ world.
The flickering is because it is detecting something between the Internal and the camera... the thing is - in your video, there isn't anything... so I actually think that bug belongs over on the JSI ATP thread.

37 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

That's ok... I'll see if I can get any errors myself first.

That's because back in 1.0.5 it (JSI ATP) did things in an entirely different way to the way it works in the 1.1+ world.
The flickering is because it is detecting something between the Internal and the camera... the thing is - in your video, there isn't anything... so I actually think that bug belongs over on the JSI ATP thread.

It works fine with a clean install (DF/KAC/MM/HyperEdit).

Tested and successfully froze Jeb.

Looks like it's going to be a game of "find the mod conflict."

MOjPYzO.png?1

1 minute ago, Deimos Rast said:

It works fine with a clean install (DF/KAC/MM/HyperEdit).

Tested and successfully froze Jeb.

Looks like it's going to be a game of "find the mod conflict."

MOjPYzO.png?1

OK. So if you go back to your fully modded install and try does it bomb out? If so, send me the log and I'll take a look before you embark on the process of elimination.

27 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

OK. So if you go back to your fully modded install and try does it bomb out? If so, send me the log and I'll take a look before you embark on the process of elimination.

Good suggestion. This is embarrassing, because I'm normally really good at this part...but I can't seem to break it again.:angry: Only thing I can think of is the new Ship Manifest .dll's from this AM? Or reinstalling the game (which I've done before). Really no idea on this one, but whatever. Thanks as always for the help.:)

---

In case you're curious, I did however find out that recovering a frozen kerbal (in this case, Jeb) screws up TACLS. I get the below, continually, times a million. It doesn't kill the frozen Kerbal, it's more of deleting the record of him, as I understand it (he's still alive). Probably something more for @danfarnsy anyway, but figured I'd mention it. Doesn't seem impact gameplay at all, but might rear it's head down the line.

160608T200033.604 [INFO] [Tac.Logging.Log] -INFO- Tac.LifeSupportController[FFE143A0][891.76]: Deleting Frozen crew member: Jebediah Kerman
160608T200033.604 [WARNING] [Tac.Logging.LogWarning] -WARNING- Tac.LifeSupportController[FFE143A0][891.76]: Unknown crew member: Jebediah Kerman

10 minutes ago, Deimos Rast said:

Good suggestion. This is embarrassing, because I'm normally really good at this part...but I can't seem to break it again.:angry: Only thing I can think of is the new Ship Manifest .dll's from this AM? Or reinstalling the game (which I've done before). Really no idea on this one, but whatever. Thanks as always for the help.:)

---

In case you're curious, I did however find out that recovering a frozen kerbal (in this case, Jeb) screws up TACLS. I get the below, continually, times a million. It doesn't kill the frozen Kerbal, it's more of deleting the record of him, as I understand it (he's still alive). Probably something more for @danfarnsy anyway, but figured I'd mention it. Doesn't seem impact gameplay at all, but might rear it's head down the line.

160608T200033.604 [INFO] [Tac.Logging.Log] -INFO- Tac.LifeSupportController[FFE143A0][891.76]: Deleting Frozen crew member: Jebediah Kerman
160608T200033.604 [WARNING] [Tac.Logging.LogWarning] -WARNING- Tac.LifeSupportController[FFE143A0][891.76]: Unknown crew member: Jebediah Kerman

NP. If you manage to break it again PM me the log. As for the TAC LS msgs. That msg used to get issued once when you thawed a kerbal in DF. Which was issued when TAC suddenly discovered them again. But it used to just re-add them to its own list and start tracking them and including them in its calcs again.  If it's spamming I'm guessing the new maintainer has done something to the code that is causing it to have problems.

Edited by JPLRepo

24 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

NP. If you manage to break it again PM me the log. As for the TAC LS msgs. That msg used to get issued once when you thawed a kerbal in DF. Which was issued when TAC suddenly discovered them again. But it used to just re-add them to its own list and start tracking them and including them in its calcs again.  If it's spamming I'm guessing the new maintainer has done something to the code that is causing it to have problems.

I think I have it mostly sorted: Ship/Freezer Specific Alarms vs General Alarms. DF seems to only recognize alarms that are "attached" to the Freezer.

Here we have 3 alarms. (The easiest way to see which alarms DF recognizes is to click the little rocket icon next to alarm list.)

• An automatically created alarm from Kerbal Construction Time for a building completion. DF ignores this.
  • An SOI Change for the ship the Freezer is a part of. DF recognizes this. (This was automatically created by KAC.)
  • A transfer window alarm created by TriggerAU's Transfer Window Planner mod. DF ignores this.
  • Not pictured: Crew Alarms cause DF's alarm panel to immediately break and throw NRE's (see below). Deleting the alarm fixes the issue. I'll pm you the log.

qNyn01i.png?1

GUI Error: You are pushing more GUIClips than you are popping. Make sure they are balanced)

(Filename:  Line: 405)

FormatException: Invalid format for Guid.Guid(string).
  at System.Guid+GuidParser.ParseChar (Char c) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Guid+GuidParser.ParseGuid2 () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Guid+GuidParser.Parse () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Guid..ctor (System.String g) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DF.DeepFreezeGUI.windowKAC (Int32 id) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename:  Line: -1)

17 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

If it's spamming I'm guessing the new maintainer has done something to the code that is causing it to have problems.

I doubt it. I haven't released a new update since I included DF support, but there are some other log spam issues I've confirmed. That is to say, it could be something I did wrong, but if it is, it's been wrong since DF support was included in TACLS. 

11 minutes ago, danfarnsy said:

I doubt it. I haven't released a new update since I included DF support, but there are some other log spam issues I've confirmed. That is to say, it could be something I did wrong, but if it is, it's been wrong since DF support was included in TACLS. 

I'll take a look at it. I am very familiar with the TACLS code.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.