Nothing in the news about the LHC

vixr

Can we put the Kardashians into the LHC, smash them into each other, and see if the resulting particles will help humanity?

It's a win-situation for our civilization either way.

I think the CERN institute should have it's own TV channel so it would be separated from all the junk we have in news these days. Only the big discoveries would be covered by regular TV stations, so it's a win-win situation for everybody.

A red letter day for science with the LHC starting up again yet the effin Kardashians are in the news AGAIN today...Its very depressing to me.

You don't read the right papers. Try the BBC website, they mentioned it.

There's an app for phone (and browser too I believe), that removes anything which has the word "Kardashian" in it.

http://www.kardblock.com/

I'd like to see an app where I can specify what I want filtered out... I've got a list.

THANK YOU ! this is life saving.

Back on topic, there were quite a lot of interesting articles about the LHC startup recently. (in some general newspapers like Le Monde.) Unless you are talking about TV news... If so, i wouldn't get my hopes high if i were you. The day the LHC will be featured in "famous" TV news is faaaaaaaaaaaaa(still further)aaaaaaaaaaar away.

Well, I was rly surpried to see NASA's parachute test on the first page of a regular news paper today. But LHC wasn't covered at all during the las vouple of days or weeks. Considering I'm talking about a german news paper this is rly strange :P

News flash... Most people are idiots.

It's not that people are idiots, but the way the media makes it's money and it's role.

It defines our society, most of peoples like and opinions come from the media.

It's a feedback-loop, the more it tells us "You like this" the more it thinks "We like this".

Maybe you can compare it to cafeteria food, sure we are eating it and like parts of it.

But wouldn't we enjoy it more if it was a properly put together meal.

No, it's that most people are indeed, idiots. The media both responds to this by what they know will grab eyeballs, and provides bad content because they are not terribly smart, either.

(caveat: I consider anyone not above average an idiot)

Edited by tater

No, it's that most people are indeed, idiots. The media both responds to this by what they know will grab eyeballs, and provides bad content because they are not terribly smart, either.

(caveat: I consider anyone not above average an idiot)

Having a news article with the title something like "LHC can create a black hole and destroy the Earth" is not proof that people are idiots.

It's proof that the news is uninformed, or at least sensationalists.

I would like to believe that if people were more informed on how and what of science then there would be more interest.

To be fair, is the LHC restart really big news? It's not like they've actually found anything yet.

That's true. First it needs to warm up so to speak and then it takes time to read the results after the test.

So maybe there might be some actual new by the end of this year?

You don't read the right papers. Try the BBC website, they mentioned it.

The source doesn't matter in the long run. I find the Gell-Mann amnesia effect to hold true for most people. Reporters know how to write (sometimes), and that is the extent of their expertise/understanding. As a result, the typically low quality of their output is unsurprising.

Albert, a "man on the street" interview would result in blank stares to both LHC and even "Large Hadron Collider" for the vast majority of people you interviewed. If you started asking them basic physics questions you'd want to bang your head into a wall.

Edited by tater

The source doesn't matter in the long run. I find the Gell-Mann amnesia effect to hold true for most people. Reporters know how to write (sometimes), and that is the extent of their expertise/understanding. As a result, the typically low quality of their output is unsurprising.

The source does matter, especially if you don't want to see celeb crap on the website. The New York Times is much more likely to have an in-depth interesting article than the New York Daily News.

To be fair, is the LHC restart really big news? It's not like they've actually found anything yet.

This isn't about fairness. This is about fanboys desperate for any coverage in order to validate themselves, augmented by further validation via denigration of anyone who doesn't believe as they do. It's a toxic syndrome often encountered in the science and space fanboy communities.

It would definitely be nice if there was more coverage (and better coverage) of science in the news, although I'm not sure if the LHC turning on is enough for anything but a slow day. However, if you can't talk about the things you like without dumping on other people for liking different things, you need to rethink a little bit. People have different interests, and while some may be more worthy than others ("mine" are best, according to everybody), you're not going to change anyone's mind for the better by insulting them. It's also just bad manners, which aren't good (they're bad!).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.