Squadcast Summary - 6/19/2015

Alshain

Due to ObsessedWithKSP being busy, I am providing the Squadcast Summary this week and will try to continue to do so until OWK can return.

KasperVld Hosting - Started really early at 1:00pm CDT (18:00 UTC)

Note: The below information has been summarized and should not be taken as direct quotes from Squad.

Discussion Highlights:

• PS4 Version being worked on by FlyingTiger (contract developer) but KasperVld cannot discuss it further. They are very excited to go to PS4 to open the ability for more gamers to learn about rocket science.
  • Memory Leak in Temperature Gauges being looked at.
  • KSP 25% off for a limited time on GoG, Humble, and Steam! (Demo on Steam)
  • KasperVld likes the "confetti" fairing.
  • Working on 1.0.3 - Kasper can't comment on changes made.
  • Multiplayer is in development and is very complex. No details yet.
  • Why doesn't the KSP Gamers Edition have Valentina?: Stay tuned for information on that, no confirmation but Squad might be working on something.
  • A lot of discussion on best possible ways to implement time warp in Multiplayer.
  • OSX 10.10? changes the memory management and has issues with Unity 4. Unknown if Unity 5 will fix it.
  • Announcement: 1.0.3 Due for release next week. Maybe a bit late, but it is looking very good for next week barring any major issues.
  • If a meteor hits Squad headquarters, there is currently no plan to rescue development resources from the fallout.

Edited by Alshain

So, the memory leak is not necessarily being addressed by 1.0.3, which cannot be discussed?

Ok then.

He didn't say it wouldn't be fixed in 1.0.3, he just didn't know for sure and couldn't comment. Remember, KasperVld is the community manager, he isn't a developer or the producer. Because of this he doesn't have quite as in-depth knowledge of the little details for each patch. He was being very cautious not to give false information, it's better to say he can't comment than promise something that doesn't show up.

Memory Leak in Temperature Gauges being looked at.

That is the single reason we have been waiting for 1.0.3.

I understand that Kasper is not a dev/producer, thats cool, whatever. But since we got no real devnotes, can we expect that an actual dev will comment in this thread to confirm the memory leak is being fixed?

please.

Thanks Alshain! Happy to learn Kasper was able to host SQ, after all. Good info to take us through the weekend. PS4 concerns seem to be quieting down, now that most forum-goers have learned about it, and have asked their questions (even if they don't fully like the answers.)

I wasn't expecting MP to be seriously being worked on at this point.

I recall one of the devnotes saying that HarvestR is going to put Mu as lead at some point so that he can focus all his attention on Multiplayer. I can't really remember the details. but that was a thing.

• KasperVld likes the "confetti" fairing.

Okay, so maybe they should keep it as an option, say, a tweakable button. But there should also be a clamshell option, preferably default. We have tweakables now, so we should use them.

Okay, so maybe they should keep it as an option, say, a tweakable button. But there should also be a clamshell option, preferably default. We have tweakables now, so we should use them.

seconded. Confetti fairings are uncool, but a tweakable is fair.

I was under the impression that besides a switch to unity 5 that the memory leaks were going to be addressed. I mean the fact that they acknowledged the leaks is promising, however what would be the point of coming out with an update that doesn't address some of the biggest problems in KSP. Yea we upgraded to U5 but a still have game crashing problems. What I am saying is that since the acknowledged it, they probably have a fix for it. Otherwise they would have continued to ignore the problems so I am optimistic they will have fixes in the next update.

I was under the impression that besides a switch to unity 5 that the memory leaks were going to be addressed. I mean the fact that they acknowledged the leaks is promising, however what would be the point of coming out with an update that doesn't address some of the biggest problems in KSP. Yea we upgraded to U5 but a still have game crashing problems. What I am saying is that since the acknowledged it, they probably have a fix for it. Otherwise they would have continued to ignore the problems so I am optimistic they will have fixes in the next update.

To the best of my knowledge 1.0.3 will not bring the upgrade to U5, that is still a long time (months, like in half a year or so) out.

Also agreed. There's a mod for thatâ„¢, sure, but isn't it just easy to implement, and not infuriate so many players over something so simple?

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/124031 link for the interested. Hell, they even featured it on Modding Monday, they know that's the way we want fairings...

Edited by monstah

Except for the Mac.

I really do resent the lack of love for mac users. As a mac user myself and a loyal KSP user I have seen performance drops from each subsequent update. 1.0 has a habit of crashing almost every half hour. I cant go to the mun and back twice in a row. I can't get away with not crashing for one mission to and from, but its like Russian roulette the second time. Its gonna crash you just dont know when. Most likely right as you begin reentry after a mission.

[*]Memoy Leak in Temperature Gauges being looked at.

I hope they're also dealing with the memory leak that causes KSP to increase memory use by 40 to 60 MB with every scene change until it finally crashes on hitting the 3.6gb limit

[*]KasperVld likes the "confetti" fairing.

I agree with those saying that we should at least have a tweakable that allows clamshell fairings

[*]Announcement: 1.0.3 Due for release next week. Maybe a bit late, but it is looking very good for next week barring any major issues.

Waiting with baited breath

[*]If a meteor hits Squad headquarters, there is currently no plan to rescue development resources from the fallout.

No off-site backups?!? Wow.

• If a meteor hits Squad headquarters, there is currently no plan to rescue development resources from the fallout.

I think the chances of getting hit by a radioactive meteor causing nuclear fallout are quite slim, unless there is another form of fallout I'm not aware off (very likely). Still, not having any off-site or cloud based backups of your main source of income is tempting the Kraken... surely Squad can find a nice online backup system that is Kraken proof (ink cloud storage?... anyone?)

Also, any dev comments on whether the memory leak will be fixed in 1.0.3 would be very welcome indeed.

[*]Memory Leak in Temperature Gauges being looked at.

By the whole community. Since six weeks.

Seriously: while I appreciate that they want to make this more than a quick fix, that one issue is really really bad.

I hope they're also dealing with the memory leak that causes KSP to increase memory use by 40 to 60 MB with every scene change until it finally crashes on hitting the 3.6gb limit

Is this confirmed?

That would explain a lot of crashes.

By the whole community. Since six weeks.

Seriously: while I appreciate that they want to make this more than a quick fix, that one issue is really really bad.

Harv was online for a bit and I PM'ed him asking him to comment in this thread about whats being fixed, but he doesn't appear to be online any more :(

Is this confirmed?

That would explain a lot of crashes.

Yes, it has a confirmed status in the KSP bug tracker (#5024), has critical priority and looks like it's currently being worked on (work started 21-05-15 and it's 10% done).

I would not be surprised if Mu - living in the UK - had a full development build backup.

I would like to hope so as well, however it's just an assumption. Particularly since Kasper mentioned this on Squads behalf.

Edited by Yakuzi

Yes, it has a confirmed status in the KSP bug tracker (#5024), has critical priority and looks like it's currently being worked on (work started 21-05-15 and it's 10% done).

I would like to hope so as well, however it's just an assumption. Particularly since Kasper mentioned this on Squads behalf.

That crash just got me 10 minutes ago. :(

I don't know what to believe or expect anymore as an OS X user.

Not sure there is an adequate OS X test resource in place... Not sure if anyone actually understands the OS X problem to a sufficient level of detail...

One thing I sadly believe is that 1.0.3 will likely NOT address the core of OS X reliability issues. Having monitored the bug tracker over that past year, I'm convinced it's just a joke - as it never seems to be maintained properly.

No roadmap, no control over bug tracking... Go figure.

Still, I love the game and have a lot of time for Squad, but come on guys, get your "Shed" together!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.