What's With The Hate?

Lundmunchkins

On March 19, 2016 at 9:33 AM, Scotius said:

This game requires...and rewards patience and long-term planning. Players who come here for explosions and cheap thrills of slamming planes and missiles into buildings, tend to leave sooner rather than later. I imagine someone with mental fortitude to painstakingly grind science and money to completely explore the system will be able to forgive much :)

While I don't fundamentally disagree, I find it funny since the game (unmodded) provides us with no long-term planning, heck no short-term planning tools whatsoever.

It would be awesome to see not just the always requested dv/twr data available in stock, but the ability to "doodle" with maneuver nodes as a form of mission planning so we could then design a craft that hits the dv requirements for each of the burns required.

On March 31, 2016 at 4:36 AM, Fizwalker said:

This thread kinda reminded me of this:

(Yes, I used to play WWIIOL...and WillyTee cartoons rock!)

S!  

I, too used to mix it up in WWIIOL... Heck, i even was featured in a WillyTee comic (about wobbly pak38 pushing physics).  You know, kfsone was posting here not too long ago!   I still catch myself singing "OMG, shot down by a hurricane!" in the car sometimes.   That was some puuuure hate, those days... makes this place seem like a bully-free peanut allergy table.  

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 9:59 AM, klesh said:

S!  

I, too used to mix it up in WWIIOL... Heck, i even was featured in a WillyTee comic (about wobbly pak38 pushing physics).  You know, kfsone was posting here not too long ago!   I still catch myself singing "OMG, shot down by a hurricane!" in the car sometimes.   That was some puuuure hate, those days... makes this place seem like a bully-free peanut allergy table.  

S!  Shot Down by a Hurricane was one of the first WillyTee cartoons I saw (and still my favorite)! I never got into a vid (or comic) myself, but one of my squaddies did (Squidrd). But yeah, I'm with you I haven't seen much in the way of 'hate' here. In WWIIOL I stayed off the forums! :P 

There's generally too much hyperbole on teh interwebs.

It is a good thing that a game company actually keeps developing it's game. Fixing bugs, upgrading engines, increasing performance and so on.

It is a bad thing that a game company breaks backward compatibility with savegames and/or mods.

Overall I'd say these 2, even if cancelling eachother out somewhat, still equals to a good thing... but the combination will receive critique and negativity and I think it's silly not to expect it.

Or in other words... That while game suddenly runs x percent faster is awesome, it does not instantly make the rage over a x hours of gametime investment turned invalid good... That will take a bit of time...

Hopefully once KSP really is finished... It will be the better for it...

3 hours ago, 78stonewobble said:

It is a bad thing that a game company breaks backward compatibility with savegames and/or mods.

Not breaking mods is practically impossible.

However, 1.1 should be able to automagically update saves as old as 0.25 or something. Even if they're modded saves it should/might work if you have the proper mods installed. 

Edited by KerbonautInTraining

It is no different than any other platform out there.  Ever.  You're going to have the people that are never completely happy, and you're going to have the people that sit poised at their keyboards ready to leap to the developers defense when someone asks a question of them.  Somewhere in the middle are the rest who just kind of go from day to day with the game, play it, hate it, play it some more, then find something wrong, then find something great, then read the forums, then say hi, then go over there....etc.

Personally, I think I spent like 10 bucks on the damn thing years ago.  I've certainly gotten my 10 or whatever bucks out of it since then.  That said though....I do think there are some real concerns for people that have forked out over 30 bucks for a game that never really was, or will be 'done'.  Yeah, I think that there are some legitimate concerns there and Squad should continue to address them.  They sold it, they got the moola for it, and if they intend to stick around with it, then they should fix it up.  Ethically speaking.  They're free to do whatever they wish though.  I don't miss my 10 bucks anymore.  ^_^

1 hour ago, daffy said:

Personally, I think I spent like 10 bucks on the damn thing years ago.  I've certainly gotten my 10 or whatever bucks out of it since then.  That said though....I do think there are some real concerns for people that have forked out over 30 bucks for a game that never really was, or will be 'done'.  Yeah, I think that there are some legitimate concerns there and Squad should continue to address them.  They sold it, they got the moola for it, and if they intend to stick around with it, then they should fix it up.  Ethically speaking.  They're free to do whatever they wish though.  I don't miss my 10 bucks anymore.  ^_^

I spent $20... I must've been one of approximately five people who bought it right at the end of Beta than Ever. The. Day. Before. 1.0. It was the best, or possibly the worst, 20 dollars I have ever spent, depending on whether you ask me or my family...

17 hours ago, KerbonautInTraining said:

1. Not breaking mods is practically impossible.

2. However, 1.1 should be able to automagically update saves as old as 0.25 or something. Even if they're modded saves it should/might work if you have the proper mods installed. 

1. I never said it was... but breaking mods is a negative factor with every update. To the people who use them and the people who make them.

As I said... it's a good thing that the game is still getting improved and expanded, but that automatically entails the abovementioned negativity. It shouldn't come as a surprise...

2. That has mostly been my experience as well... but it has made it impossible to update or maybe even continue games for some. I'd be somewhat negative over that too... even if it made for a better game in the end.

Possibly some truth to the critique of version 1.0 having been called too soon... Had ksp still had the beta description... I think people would have been more lenient.

Whether something is "done"/finished... is a binary answer to me atleast... it's either yes or no... it's not a "mostly" ... :) ... Atleast that's my mental approach to things like that...

Edited by 78stonewobble

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.