KSP Twitter- "We've got something planned later today"

Jodo42

My gut feeling says "community contest", like building something onto/around an asteroid and/or taking it along for crazy missions.

Probably a Reddit challenge then. Might it be Forum vs Reddit like the Kerbin Cup thing?

It's either:

"A giant asteroid wiped out all 947 (including ~70 high/critical priority and >700 legacy) bugs in the KSP bugtracker. This asteroid has impacted your Kerbal store/steam account -> download now!*"

Or:

"Asteroid impacts (and missions) in KSP..."

Fingers crossed for the first one!

*COG users will get it too... eventually

Edited by Yakuzi

Uhm, Rosetta and Philae went to a comet, not an asteroid. Asteroid day is for raising awareness about the fact a giant rock could smack into us anytime it wants to.

As if you would feel the difference between an asteroid strike and a comet strike. Comets usually travel a lot faster. A comet strike could therefore be that much bigger.

As if you would feel the difference between an asteroid strike and a comet strike. Comets usually travel a lot faster. A comet strike could therefore be that much bigger.

Not just "that much bigger", but "that much bigger" squared. The impact energy is proportional to the square of velocity -- so something traveling twice as fast delivers four times the impact.

Not to mention that a long-period comet -- the fastest-traveling ones -- would give us much less warning than a nearby asteroid that we can track for years. Add to that the possibility that the Kreutz family of comets is more typical than we think, and comets are clearly the much bigger threat on a per-impact basis. (The Kreutz family are a series of comets which we learned a lot more about thanks to SOHO that are thought to have originated from a single parent comet, perhaps 100 km across.)

The concept of impactor diversion fascinates me. :) Not just because it's so exotic, but because it's one of the only natural disasters we can do something about with modern technology (besides get out of the way).

Edited by Nikolai
clarified SOHO's role in Kreutz comet discovery

It's a part pack with a probe with SAS, a bigger fixed solar panel, a dish antenna and an asteroid telescope. It contains also a mission pack. It's on Curse already...

http://kerbal.curseforge.com/ksp-mods/232196-asteroid-day

EDIT : Looks like the parts are from RoverDude, and nice ones too, me like :)

EDIT2 : Arsenide did the contract. Yeah mod scene...

Edited by TheGuguz

Ok, hype wore off.

Yeah, it's probably some PR stuff that Squad will be pulling for Asteroid Day, nothing ingame.

Based on Max's twits from ~50 min ago about asteroid day, it does affect PC players directly:

Edited by Yakuzi

can confirm it's here

"It"?

- - - Updated - - -

Me, I've been disappointed at every other major annoucement. Plushies? 3D prints? PS4? Smoke on the launchpad? Okay, that last one I actually enjoy. Which shows how much I care for the rest.

It's a part pack with a probe with SAS, a bigger fixed solar panel, a dish antenna and an asteroid telescope. It contains also a mission pack. It's on Curse already...

http://kerbal.curseforge.com/ksp-mods/232196-asteroid-day

Assuming it's licensed like the World Cup pack was, can anyone download it and put it up on their dropbox? I will not touch Curse again with a 10' pole.

"It"?

- - - Updated - - -

Me, I've been disappointed at every other major annoucement. Plushies? 3D prints? PS4? Smoke on the launchpad? Okay, that last one I actually enjoy. Which shows how much I care for the rest.

The official asteroid mod pack. Pretty nice, defo better than the previous "amazing news" items. Well delivered Squad and happy Asteroid Day!

Squad has, I think, succeeded this time, in under-promising and over-delivering!

I'm glad they didn't over-hype this like they have in the past (that or the community is learning not to get too hyped for things), because I'm honestly somewhat impressed by this surprise. Sure, it's nothing big, but it still sounds like a pretty cool little expansion and I'm kinda looking forward to trying it out.

Shame there will be no CKAN compatibility :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.