Asteroid Day Official Mod - Discussion

Endersmens

As much as I am one of SQUAD's greatest critic when it comes to updates, I am willing to pay for (this supposedly free) DLC to support them. I never agreed with the community bullying SQUAD into providing free DLCs those years ago when it was a hot topic.

Sadly there isn't an option to donate?

Anyone know the tolerances for placing a Sentinel telescope and having it monitor asteroids? Are there any limits on inclination, apoapsis and periapsis in relation to the planet whose orbit I want to find asteroids near?

I have now placed 2 telescopes in to different orbits, but both get the message "misaligned with Eve" when I activate them. One is just inside Eves orbit, and the other one is close to Mohos orbit.

You have to align your orbit with the outer planet. This means matching inclination and eccentricity, the tolerances are roughly similar to a mid level satellite contract. Your semi-major axis/apoapsis/periapsis do not need to match, however. They can be anywhere between the inside planet and the outside planet. The telescope will inform you on the right click menu whether you are aligned or not.

Once you are aligned, it will begin mapping. The angle it maps at is 200 degrees, directly away from the sun. The "range" it maps at is not as concrete - it maps the orbit of the outside planet, regardless of how far away that is.

For everyone who hasn't seen it, or want to review how and why these very nice parts are used have a look at DazValdez recorded stream from yesterday

The stream starts with the theory and why and how these parts are used in real life. From 20 minutes in, the building with these parts in KSP starts.

One thing I have to say when reading through this thread and having been a member of a camera crew making a documentary about the building of the large deep space simulator at Estec Noordwijk at least two decades ago. I've seen quite a few satellites being build in the clean rooms over there during that time and the gold foil texture on the model is really spot on. :cool:

Needless to say thanks again guys for the great models and logic of this DLC. :D

Greets,

Jan

200 degree angle? Does this mean to keep a full map constantly updated, you need multiple satellites spaced apart in that orbit? If so, what's the minimum needed for full coverage?

Depends on the sizes of both orbits, that of the satellite and of the observed planet.

200 degree angle? Does this mean to keep a full map constantly updated, you need multiple satellites spaced apart in that orbit? If so, what's the minimum needed for full coverage?

Hmm, setting aside the question of the desirability (from both gameplay and game performance POVs) of having constant full coverage, with a 200^ field of view, you need 2 probes per planet, so that's 14 total. For each planet, the 2 satellites would need to be 180^ apart on opposite sides of Kerbol.

Hmm, setting aside the question of the desirability (from both gameplay and game performance POVs) of having constant full coverage, with a 200^ field of view, you need 2 probes per planet, so that's 14 total. For each planet, the 2 satellites would need to be 180^ apart on opposite sides of Kerbol.

200° ... of course :blush: ... it is to hot here ... :P

Hello,

nice to see an official mod added on CKAN! great symbol!

(on my side i would like it use KSP-AVChecker too, to be warned there is an available update during the loading screen)

However, i see the textures are in .png, is it a miss to don't use the new .dds format?

thank's

Hello,

nice to see an official mod added on CKAN! great symbol!

(on my side i would like it use KSP-AVChecker too, to be warned there is an available update during the loading screen)

However, i see the textures are in .png, is it a miss to don't use the new .dds format?

thank's

Umm, AFAIK, the one on CKAN is the one somebody reposted on KerbalStuff.

• Mod doesn't use Kerbal Stuff or CKAN
  • Mod still using .png
  • Modder has not updated past mods to be compatible with new versions of KSP.

Official or not, this mod does not meet my standards. Thank you for your community contribution, but this mod is not for me.

• Mod doesn't use Kerbal Stuff or CKAN
  • Mod still using .png
  • Modder has not updated past mods to be compatible with new versions of KSP.

Official or not, this mod does not meet my standards. Thank you for your community contribution, but this mod is not for me.

Community contribution? This mod was made by SQUAD. Can you explain what you mean a little more?

Community contribution? This mod was made by SQUAD. Can you explain what you mean a little more?

Since they are releasing this as a mod, I am stating my opinion as if the asteroid pack is just another mod. While I appreciate all modders contributions, I do not install all mods I run across. I have certain criteria that I like mods to meet before I will consider installing them.

I am disappointed that squad's asteroid pack mod does not meet my criteria, but hey that's ok, I don't have to install it.

I guess he means that the old football mod hasn't been kept up to date with KSP. Which is forgiveable, IMO, seeign as it was considered a small silliness. Still, I'm sorry that they didn't develop them into airbags for spectacular Duna landings.

I very much hope that this one goes mainline, however. Both the large Ox-Stats and the high-yield antenna would be good to have at any rate. Being able to discover asteroids everywhere might be a balance nightmare, though.

This is a nice fun mod. I really like the parts and had a blast playing with it in sandbox.

It should be a nice add for career as well. I would love to see more additions where players can earn money after creating infrastructure.

Does it cause high-e 'roids to spawn, or are the orbits pretty circular?

It can create highly eccentric and inclined orbits. As long as the asteroid is passing through the view of the telescope, you will see it. Where it goes after that varies greatly. :)

How many asteroids could I actively kept tracked before my game dies of slowness? :D

Your mileage may vary.

The biggest problem I find with tracking lots of asteroids is that the more you have in a given region of space, the more useless the map view becomes. All the closely spaced orbit lines superimpose, so when you actually try to fly to one of the asteroids, setting up the rendezvous becomes extremely difficult because you can't see what you're doing.

I therefore find it best to track only those asteroids I actually want to interact with. Click on an unknown object, see its orbit and size, decide if it's a keeper or not. If not, don't track it and it will eventually go away and be replaced with something perhaps better.

I therefore find it best to track only those asteroids I actually want to interact with

I agree, but it would be cool to have hundreds of asteroids and surprise encounters with planets etc. :D

Hm, does KAC track SOI changes of tracked asteroids ... :cool:

Mod doesn't use Kerbal Stuff or CKAN

Yes, it is on both KerbalStuff and CKAN.

Mod still using .png

So what? The only thing .dds at this point will save you is a fraction of RAM and a tiny bit quicker load time. You could also convert all the files to .dds if you wish. Also, all flags are all still .png, I assume you still use a flag for your missions?

Modder has not updated past mods to be compatible with new versions of KSP.

Assuming you're talking about the WorldCup mod...and on this you're right...the parts should be fixed to work with the new heat system which was just implemented in the latest update. It is, however, a fairly simple fix that you can easily do yourself if you have any knowledge of KSP Part Modules. All you need to do is increase the balls' heat tolerances. Besides, do people still use those balls? I have them installed all the way back from .24 and I don't think I've EVER used them (though I thought about modifying the parts to make a Mars Exploration Rover -type landing system w/balloons at one point)...though YMMV I'm sure.

In closing, if the mod does not meet your standards then don't download it...but know you're missing out on some really handy new parts (Bigger STATIC solar panel, Bigger Probe Core w/lotsa battery, new Antenna; not to mention the Telescope) and a pretty cool ongoing science mission for Career mode (if you play career).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.