SRB uses.

ryan234abc

I use them to de-orbit spent second stages to keep the space clutter down.

I have a reentry capsule on my space station with a hitchiker. Just a small RCS for maneuvering and attitude control with Seps for a de-orbit burn. Also I activate another set at 30 meters to decelerate from 10 m/s to about 5 m/s a la Soyuz. That let's me get away with fewer chutes.

Then there's this use of 216 seperatrons

Edited by Soda Popinski

One thing small SRBs like the seperatrons were used for, is on the Saturn V. Prior to an upper stage ignition, tiny SRBs would accelerate the rocket just a little to settle the liquid fuel at the bottom of the tanks. That had to be done, because you can not feed fuel to the engines in weightlessnes.

Russian rockets (for instance the Soyuz or any other launcher of the R-7 family) have this characteristic grid of struts between the lower and the upper stage. They actually fire the upper stage while the lower stage is still running and the flames exit through this grid until the lower stage is dropped.

I almost always have 2 RT-10 "Hammer"s to get off of Duna after landing. I let those do the heavy lifting since I usually land on Duna with just the "Nerv".

I've yet to do this with the new aero, so results my vary. Talk to your doctor before making any changes.

Edited by r4pt0r

One thing small SRBs like the seperatrons were used for, is on the Saturn V. Prior to an upper stage ignition, tiny SRBs would accelerate the rocket just a little to settle the liquid fuel at the bottom of the tanks. That had to be done, because you can not feed fuel to the engines in weightlessnes.

Russian rockets (for instance the Soyuz or any other launcher of the R-7 family) have this characteristic grid of struts between the lower and the upper stage. They actually fire the upper stage while the lower stage is still running and the flames exit through this grid until the lower stage is dropped.

The saturn 5 mid stage did fire before seperation and used quite sizable sepratrons, both is done for seperate reasons. Early firing is done since old pumps had trouble starting the burn without force (gravity, acceleration) pressing down the fuel.

I really, really wanted to try, but it didn't work out. SRBs used for abort sequence in an SSTO plane: turning the cargo bay behind the cockpit into a decoupler by rapidly overheating it.

I use smaller SRB's as missiles, and the larger ones as ICBM types... great for knocking space junk out of the way... or creating lots of smaller junk.

Either way, its fun. I've decided that if any kerbal screws up... well, I screw up, but its easier to pass the buck, I'd strap the offender to an SRB and launch it. Fire and forget. :)

Anything involving tourists. I have a load of rockets called touristMinumus, touristorbit, touristorbitsuper, basically a tourist rocket for anything up to solar orbit and a "super" version with five crew spots.

Other then cheap launches, if I need a long "arm" part for something, I'll use an empty kickback just for that purpose; it reduces the part count and reduces the stress of using multiple parts.

I'm sure it's not very sensible, but I've used decoupler mounted fleas on the back of rapiers or nukes to help punch through the sound barrier and/or rato. Also used separatrons for an easy "emergency power" system on small planes. Useful for escaping spins and stalls or pulling out of an ill advised loop.

Many many moons ago, a parked this thing in a specific spot on Mun (directly below where you'd do a burn to transfer back to Kerbin) as an emergency Mun escape pod.

YUacLjll.jpg

With some tweaking of the fuel in the SRB it was balanced to be just the right burn to put the pod on a course to smack into Kerbin's atmo (would probably need a heat shield these days....although maybe not ;) )

hJxOGQCl.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.