Ussari Space Program! A highly [unstable] modded 64K career from behind the iron kertain!

Loving this! Teo things tho.

A) There are too many spoilers. It crashes the webpage on my phone, and I can't use my computer right now.

B) Where did you get that flag, and can I steal it?

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings, Comrades! Today we bring you Ussari Space Program, Severely Delayed edition, with triumphant return to Mün!

TCEUjgN.png

Spoiler

Colossal KI-3 booster lifts latest marvel of Ussari technology into standard parking orbit! Pay no attention to disturbing lack of cloud cover, is simply nice clear day! Absolutely not intermittent fracture of fabric of reality!

tDApPLd.png

With Vagabond 2 closing in on Duna, tireless Ussari scientists work round-the-clock analyzing incoming data, and now believe landing probe on surface may indeed be possible despite tenuous atmosphere. But such will not be easy, good Comrades! Due to signal delay of several minutes, any lander must make completely automated descent to surface, but parachutes alone will not suffice in thin atmosphere. To test proof-of-concept of lander designs, Müna 9 burns to TMI atop improved Cryogenic Upper Stage! Uprated CUS features new restartable hydrolox Skipper engine, absolutely not named after rotund master of ill-fated tour bout named after small bait fish!

uAKwSP8.png

In addition to delivering probe buss to Münar orbit, CUS will also test boiloff rates and temperature retention for future missions. After cruising for 17 hours to Münar SOI, Mission Controllers are pleased to see that CUS has lost less than 100m/s of d/V due to cryogenic boiloff, allowing full test of engine re-start and bringing Müna 9, and the skipper too, into low Münar orbit, before being discarded like unfortunately perforated charter vessel.

0o0TTr7.png

Müna performs several remote systems checks, then deploys pair of relay sattelites, which will ensure reliable communications with landing site in chaotic terrain of Münar north pole!

bwoPBGz.png

rlAjVQR.png

Initial attempts at moving relay satellites to proper orbits are temporarily stymied by uncooperative eclipse...

Xd26cLt.png

Once irritating astronomical alignment has passed, relay satellites use small on-board ion engine to boost into slightly eccentric staggered orbits high over north pole.

OYiDxyF.png

Müna 9 now burns reliable hydrazine engine to begin descent sequence in first attempt at precision landing on another body. Target is exactly at 90* latitude in heavily disrupted terrain of steep hills and shadows.

rMFWG94.png

Main buss is discarded...

eC4oTX0.png

... and terminal descent phase begins. Pay no attention to rocket plume several meters from actual nozzle! Descent stage will not make full powered landing, instead highly advanced MechIvan general purpose computer maintains descent rate of 50m/s until initiation of landing phase.

gj1ElEJ.png

At 200 meters above surface, much happens very quickly! Descent stage is jettisoned and solid braking thrusters fire, carefully tuned to eliminate exactly 50m/s of velocity, nearly fully arresting descent of probe...

hE75J1z.png

...As probe briefly hangs in sky over Mün, thruster pack and control module is jettisoned...

rgHLvge.png

...and landing airbags inflate! Müna 9 now drops final few dozen meters to surface...

kUoKMZm.png

Airbags successfully absorb landing impact, and probe bounces and rolls short distance before coming to rest.

aUSoCVz.gif

Landing is successful! Probe has come to rest barely 20km from north pole. Nuclear RTG power source provides adequate power to transmit wealth of science! After several days of observation, it is confirmed that probe has landed in permanently-shadowed depression where sun never shines. Some at Mission Control estimate is great wealth of things to be found here! 

0qD7ATb.png

Meanwhile, back on Kerbin, crew of TINKAN 1 has successfully completed record 60-day stay in orbit! With no provision for resupply on first-generation station, last of supplies are transferred to simple Blok-f Zarya and crew separates for triumphant and highly classified return!

WU9K3NZ.png

Crew make uneventful reentry and landing and are quickly whisked away to undisclosed location for lengthy debriefing and mental cleansing protocol!

Vk06OR3.png

Its mission completed, TINKAN 1 is de-orbited with onboard engine.

YXRJT65.png

In testament to "stronk like bool" Ussari overengineering, TINKAN 1 continues to make scientific observations and return data until re-entry forces tear hull apart!

f1F39xL.png

srF74Db.png

Surviving debris falls harmlessly into deepest known abyssal plain on planet!

adZjxIP.png

But we do not rest, Comrades, we do not rest! Vagabond 2 grows ever nearer to Duna and construction has already commenced on successor to TINKAN, which will assure ever higher resolution data absolutely from cutting edge reconnaissance equipment absolutely not conspicuously pointed at KSC disproportionate amount of time!

Edited by CatastrophicFailure

Whoops, somehow I missed these two questions!

On 3/21/2016 at 6:42 PM, Andem said:

Loving this! Teo things tho.

A) There are too many spoilers. It crashes the webpage on my phone, and I can't use my computer right now.

B) Where did you get that flag, and can I steal it?

A) It's either the spoilers, or all the images on the page try to load at once and it scrolls & bogs. Bit of a darned if you do, darned if you don't thing. ;.;

B) Found the logo from a deadpost on here and just added the star. I'll have to see if I have the original. Meanwhile, here's a freebie I never used:

skXoQiw.png

On 3/23/2016 at 1:40 PM, StickyScissors said:

Just read all of this to get caught up. It...IS AMAZING :D

Welcome, and thanx!

1 hour ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Whoops, somehow I missed these two questions!

A) It's either the spoilers, or all the images on the page try to load at once and it scrolls & bogs. Bit of a darned if you do, darned if you don't thing. ;.;

B) Found the logo from a deadpost on here and just added the star. I'll have to see if I have the original. Meanwhile, here's a freebie I never used:

skXoQiw.png

Welcome, and thanx!

Sees he replied:

:lol:

that's possible as well, it only happens when I load the spoilers, so who knows. 

Also a pretty flag! I'm starting to take some initiative to start making my own flags, but both of those will be great starters/templates! They're both so good!

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings, Comrades! Today we bring you Ussari Space Program, REDish PLANET EDITION!

Spoiler

OOC is serious business: This actually ran concurrently with the next upcoming installment, which I'm still debating whether to cobble into a video or not. Decided to split them for expediency's sake.

After many months in transit, Vagabond 2 at last nears destination: mysterious red planet Duna!

adsf

Spoiler

usyZRAB.png

After long journey, Vagabond 2 is in perfect health with nearly all its fuel remaining. Primary objective is to return high and low science from both Duna and its diminutive partner, Ike, with larger goal of remaining in stable orbit to serve as comm relay for future missions. Upon entry into SOI, brilliant Ussari astrophysicists begin calculating necessary maneuver burns.

9nLkxyI.png

Vagabond 2 busies its self returning troves of high-altitude science while solution is plotted. Probe later briefly interrupts return of low altitude data to fire its hypergolic engine on 11-minute-long burn that will swing it around to encounter course with Ike.

3p0Atgy.png

Shortly after completion of maneuver, Vagbond 2 swings behind Duna into communication blackout region. Mission controllers must now wait breathlessly to see if probe survives extended oblique pass through Duna's shadow...

lDLG56w.png

But, as always expected, result of flawless Ussari engineering emerges exactly on time, having recorded critical data on Duna's atmosphere and haunting images of distant air glow!

ExneDc6.png

Several hours later, Vagabond 2 begins approach to dark moon, and will pass within only 14 kilometers of surface while being swung into captured, 50-degree orbit of Duna!

YBCjlFi.png

Initial pass of Ike is complete success, returning reams of incredible science! But now far more difficult task lies ahead: to maneuver probe into stable orbit below 11,000 km where its omnidirectional antennas will be useful, using only 200m/s delta-v remaining.

VXoDTU5.png

Once probe has left Ike SOI, final burns can be calculated accurately. Now on highly inclined orbit with perigee well over 12,000 km and apogee still crossing Ike's path, Vagabond 2 will make two complete orbits of Duna, continuing to return science, until encountering Ike once more.

GvbfcrW.png

50-degree-inclined orbit allows for detailed observation of Duna's south pole, even confirming enigmatic existence of faint polar aurora despite only having tenuous magnetic field.

2YukCp5.png

Upcoming encounter with Ike has been carefully plotted to drop periDun within Duna's thin atmosphere, to attempt risky aerobrake maneuver! 

WMppXS6.png

Here we see science platform loaded with instruments as Vagabond 2 once again nears Ike!

jV5HH4j.png

Vagabond 2 passes much higher over Ike than previously, yet still continues to return considerable science from previously unencountered biomes.

HnDMbcg.png

All is in readiness. With nearly seven minute communication delay, controllers can only wait while fragile, unshielded probe streaks into atmosphere...

K6gtmHG.png

Aerobraking manuver is complete success! Vagabond 2 suffers no damage, wing-like solar arrays adding atmospheric lift as probe skims to within only 40 kilometers of Duna's surface while even transmitting high-atmosphere science. Peak deceleration reaches .2 gee's and observed heat loads are surprisingly mild. Crucially, probe has returned priceless information on Dunian atmosphere to engineer eventual lander!

tEEocGN.png

New apoDune of 5500 kilometers is ideal altitude for communication relay. Remaining fuel is burned, raising periDune well out of atmosphere to stable 5500x500 at 45 degrees inclination!

77pquCb.png

As final bonus to stunningly successful (as expected) mission, Vagabond 2 observes haunting eclipse on surface as Ike passes in front of sun!

8d9evTD.png

jXEU7RG.png

With both primary and secondary missions now complete, Vagabond 2 deploys omnidirectional antennae and settles into long-term light observation mode, to await future missions from Glorious Ussari Union!

Dq9pOm2.png

asdf

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings, Comrades! After much delay, today we bring you approved propaganda unbiased newsreel of gloriously successful mission of world's second space station, TINKAN-2!

n28BoMJ.jpg

Er, we are experiencing technical difficulties, please stand by...

Breaking news, Comrades! Despite unfortunate failure to achieve orbit of both TINKAN 1 and 2 and untimely, absolutely-not-suspicious disappearance of prospective crewkerbs P and S, undaunted Ussari scientists step forward with bold new proposal! Tireless astronomers have noticed rare alignment of planets, that will allow probes to be sent to every unexplored body in solar system! But the way will not be easy, good Comrades! Four probes must be built launched in only 73 days with less than 30 days before the first! This allows no time to develop new hardware, but must make extensive use of existing technology! After stunningly successful mission to Duna, it has been decided that Vagabond 2-class buss will serve as standard probe design, with as few modifications as possible to accomplish greatly varied mission profiles. Even using efficient hydrolox transfer stages, this project will no doubt require lofting masses into orbit heretofore unthinkable, and with no time to develop new super-heavy-lift launch vehicle, stalwart KI-3 lifter will be stretched to limits of design, and beyond!

As we expand into great unknown reaches, now we begin, PROJECT VLAD!

8dhYSEt.png

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings, Comrades! Today we have Ussari Space Program, almost-destroyed-reality-again edition!

Brilliant Ussari engineers face daunting challenge of designing, testing, concealing evidence, testing again, building, and launching four interplanetary probes with first launch only 28 days away, but remain undaunted! While Heavy Rocketry division begins work and tries very hard not to drop on foot, Mission Planning department is tasked with finding most efficient launch windows! While this could be accomplished with copious amounts of relatively safe mathematical calculations...

Comrades, we have rockets!

Behold, blast from past (absolutely not involving actual blasts from repurposed intermediate range ballistic missiles), Shumno Kriket VI launcher and Pathfinder-class satellite!

Spoiler

U8F2RlJ.png

Scrounged together from whatever was handy, entire series of four Shumno Kriket VI boosters and payloads was assembled, tested, destroyed several buildings, built, and launched in less than two days!

New lightweight rocket features recoverable de-tuned solid motor boost stage (as if anyone foolish enough to try it again), kerolox sustainer stage, and hypergolic-powered microsatellite!

CehgIDv.png

Erm, pay no attention to rapidly expanding debris cloud, nothing to see here, move along. Move along harder!
That's better.

1Nv7XY3.png

Here, Pathfinder I drifts over glorious sprawling city of Kerlyabinsk after circularizing to 250km, 50 degree standard orbit. Launching
rockets over major metropolitan area absolutely safe!

tLYVRHt.png

Six hours later, Pathfinder II soars into night sky!

r9pQnCw.png

Minor irregularity in flight profile is noted when fairings fail to deploy properly and hang up on probe...

ARqXMPh.png

...but satellite continues into nominal orbit. Nothing to worry about, absolutely no chance of reoccurrence from hastily designed, quickly tested, bodged together rocket! 

ARqXMPh.png

In another six hours, Pathfinder III follows!

APwflMz.png

Absolutely not reoccurrence of previous fairing anomaly!

14ySTfX.png

See? Fairings are clearly not hung up on payload! Also, pay no attention to exhaust plume several meters behind actual engine!

zoy5Bx5.png

Finally, as sun sets on very busy day, Pathfinder IV roars into space!

kelcUpE.png

Fairings absolutely not manually jettisoned well before staging to prevent more irregularities! Raging fire on booster completely normal! Ooh look, pretty sunset! Look at pretty sunset! Look harder!

That's better...

8Iyy9KT.png

Now you say to me, 'Comrade, why do we spend such effort sending mildly interesting but apparently useless probes into orbit?'

This, we do not speak of...

Yes, of course we speak of this! Once those who ask too many questions have been quickly herded off to mental cleansing camps, behold method to madness! With Pathfinder-series satellites safely and absolutely unremarkably in orbit, brilliant but ironically arithmophobic Ussari astrophysicists can calculate most efficient transfer from high-inclination initial orbits! Note that Pathfinder constellation orbits are aligned at approximately 90 degree angles to each other...

FiCqryi.png

...very approximate.

But we do not rest, Comrades, we do not rest! Thanks to mandatory consumption of enough caffiene to drop rhino. Rumors that chronic
lack of sleep leads to decreased mental acuity and eventual madness absolutely untrue! They're coming to take me away, ho-ho hee-hee-haa-haa

Ahem.

Behold, product of not-at-all-tireless-quite-the-opposite Ussari engineering, updated KI-3C launcher and Vagabond 4!

Kig39rC.png

Designed and build in less than 28 days, standard KI-class kerolox upper stage has been replaced with all-new cryogenic transfer stage! Core booster launches into plane of Pathfinder II and places upper stage into initial orbit with nearly a kilometer per second of dV remaining, absolutely not due to log-spamming bug that wasn't there couple of weeks ago in simulation when it didn't work nearly this well!

ko8wHP6.png

Hydrolox transfer stage initiates six-minute, 4600 m/s burn to send probe diving towards enigmatic inner planet!

Disaster nearly strikes when communication is lost one minute into burn and stage automatically shuts down. Rumors that several engineers attempted to quietly slink away while everyone else was staring blankly at screens absolutely untrue!

TE8fQIR.png

But we remain undaunted, Comrades! Stalwart mission controllers are able to re-calculate transfer burn based on new eccentic orbit and
refire engine at next perikee!

In unrelated news, next train to Kerberia unexpectedly full, please make alternate travel arrangements.

wgNOVoC.png

Now safely more-or-less on course to Moho, Vagabond 4 separates from transfer stage, with yet nearly two kilometers per second dV remaining to boil off pointlessly into space!

o1jcXIh.png

Vagabond 4 deploys solar arrays and various instruments before expected loss-of-signal beyond launch antenna range. Transit will take approximately 64 days, with course correction at 27 days once high-gain dish has re-acquired CHAOS net around Kerbin.

JpxzUhk.png

Vagabond 4 is near exact clone of Vagabond 2, featuring more powerful yet lighter main antenna dish and other slight refinements to latter's demonstrated aptitude for exploration of inner planets! With approximately 1600 m/s available from on-board hypergolic engine, Vagabond 4 will not have nearly enough fuel to enter orbit of tiny, blistering-hot planet, but will make equally blistering-ly fast flyby!

Launches to Eeloo and Dres now rapidly approach in only 34 days, and will test lift capability of Ussari launchers to very limit!

QNKbw0r.png

In other news, very fabric of reality once again nearly came to screeching, critical-existence-failing halt when program engineer responsible for maintaining hard drive that contains very fabric of reality let it get to full and persistence file only half-saved. Glory to Multiple, Copious Backups, Comrades!

You there, on train! Make room, one more boarding... make room harder!

That's better...

adf

On 6/3/2016 at 5:49 AM, TrooperCooper said:

Truely hilariously written. And very nice gear. I especially like the Vagabonds. Those look very techy.

PS: mod suggestion to make proud Ussari people even prouder: engine lighting mod for those night-launches. :)

I've got it, actually. Was just wondering why it didn't seem to be working. Apparently the 1.0.5 version I have isn't compatible with RF. :mad:

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings, Comrades! Welcome to Ussari Space Program, MOAR BOOSTERS edition!

First we catch up with Vagabond 4, making first mid-course correction now that it has traveled far enough from Kerbin for reliable communications through long-range, narrow-cone comm dish. Maneuver successfully placing probe on course for Moho flyby in 36 more days.

4LFBGBz.png

And now, good Comrades, we go BIG!

Transfer to Eeloo will require well over 9 km/s, even more than 7.5 km/s needed to get to orbit! Even with lightweight cryogenic fuels, not even mighty KI-3 launcher can loft necessary mass! With no time to develop new heavyweight launch vehicle, solution comes from suggestion of none other than famous Valentina Kermanova, based on knowledge gleaned spying on from diplomatic visit to Kerbal Space Center!

MORE BOOSTERS!

What, m-o-A-r? Are you sure? Seems a bit sill-- what? Oh...

Yes, MOAR BOOSTERS!

wzKyWrV.png

Venerable KI-3 has been fitted with oversized cryogenic upper stage and four pairs of Kickback solid fueled boosters! 

ffalk5X.png

Rocket now suffers from deplorable excess of thrust, to avoid compression heating and maintain proper ascent course, main engines throttle down to 40% for most of booster burn, briefly returning to 100% after Max-Q before slowly throttling back to maintain constant 3-Gs of acceleration.

Booster separation comes at T+1:27 at 32km altitude, after which main engines return to full thrust and launcher follows standard KI-3 launch profile. Marvel at visible shock heating from unusually low, high-speed trajectory!

U7uLaQl.png

Thanks to boost from MOAR BOOSTERS, fairing separation at 88km actually occurs slightly before Kerolox booster separation. Resemblance to irate avian completely coincidental!

R4mZwYE.png

Main booster separation now at T+2:43, 95km altitude traveling at nearly 3 kilometers per second. At this speed and altitude, boosters are not recoverable as they will burn up on re-entry. Mostly. Sorry about hovel, random peasant...

sw498Ek.png

After small circularization burn, transfer stage is successfully inserted into initial 150km parking orbit at 51 degrees inclination.

bYtVvG1.png

Shortly after, advanced Poodle hydrolox engine fires for 15 minute transfer burn!

1UijLnj.png

After successful separation, Vagabond 3 unfurls primary, terameter-class communications dish and prepares for long sleep to distant Eeloo. Also visible here is powerplant consisting of four nuclear radiothermal power generators, as solar panels will be quite useless at such distances.

Why is Vagabond 3 launched after Vagabond 4? This, we do not speak of...

QiDvojs.png

Instead we speak of Vagabond 5!

fY8QlJ9.png

Vagabond 5 will perform flyby of lonely space potatoe Dres... if it even exists...

Note addition of supplementary control fins to suppress unauthorized attitude deviations. Here in Glorious Ussari Union, we know well how to suppress unauthorized attitude deviations. I'm looking at you, Yuri...

Further resemblance to irate avian absolutely completely coincidental!

EoMiwpb.png

Once in orbit, Vagabond 5's transfer stage ignites for 5km/s burn. Brilliant Ussari engineers have assured us probe absolutely will not hit Mün! or they know what will happen...

oWSxH8O.png

Vagabond 5 separates from transfer stage and deploys solar arrays. A near clone of Vagabond 4, not quite visible are pair of supplimentary RTG's as usefulness of solar power at Dres remains highly dubious... as does its very existence...

First correction maneuver comes in 66 days, with Dres flyby at 202 days.

Now, we await launch of Vagabond 6 to Jool in only 9 more days...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.