Ussari Space Program! A highly [unstable] modded 64K career from behind the iron kertain!

On 7/1/2016 at 0:50 PM, GarrisonChisholm said:

*...quietly sneaks in, sits in the back of the theatre and tries to catch-up on the news reels...*

You there! I see you hiding in the back! Papers please.

On 7/8/2016 at 5:07 PM, PanzerAce said:

You there! I see you hiding in the back! Papers please.

...errr, eem, ... I must have left them in the lavatory?... --   *scurries out behind a distractingly-flung bucket of Kopkorn...*

Edited by GarrisonChisholm
humor

Greetings, Comrades! Tonight, we open with fourth and final launch of grand program to throw stuff at interplanetary wall and see what sticks! Vagabond 6 rockets into sky!

asdf

Spoiler

YQ06Ir2.png

Vagabond 6 is near-clone of Vagabond 3, destination: enigmatic green planet of Jool and it's many moons! Easily visible here is power package of 4 nuclear thermal generators, to provide electricity far beyond usefulness of solar panels.

qHIkdd2.png

Vagabond 6 passes into sunrise midway through 18 minute, 8.5km/s ejection burn.

6ImYbg0.png

Burn is successful, putting probe onto trajectory direct to Jool SOI in one year, 297 days. However, extreme length of burn has necessitated costly plane correction burn at apkelion shortly before Jool encounter. It is estimated this will use half of 1600m/s delta-V budget on craft, mission controllers are still hopeful for a fortuitous alignment of moons to allow for a gravity capture into Joolian orbit.

cy0TjSV.png

But of course, we do not rest, Comrades, we do not rest! Only 17 days after Vagabond 6 leaves Kerbin, Vagabond 4 triumphantly enters Moho SOI! A near-perfect flight path has left probe's fuel reserves nearly untouched. Here, a small correction burn is initiated to plot final perimo.

z6Ggx02.png

But even remaining 1.5km/s on board would barely dent massive relative velocity! Capture into Moho orbit would require staggering 13 kilometers per second, far beyond capability of existing technologies! Vagabond 4 will instead make lightning-fast pass over north pole before shooting back off into space. Entire encounter will last barely 4 hours. Vagabond 4 busily begins sending back treasure trove of science. At such close distance to sun, small solar panels easily keep up with power-hungry communications equipment, barely touching battery reserves, allowing for near-constant return of data.

0Ina8X5.png

With four and a half minute communication delay, probe must rely on accurately planned commands and cannot respond in an emergency. Exact altitude of Moho's surface from reference point is also unknown. Mission controllers stare wide-eyed at each other when data return reveals Vagabond 4 has passed only 880 meters from surface at over 13 kilometers per second! Sub-kilometer pass is so fast that actual approach may have even been less!

ehCjW6L.png

Controllers now firmly puckered into their seats, Vagabond 4 begins its departure...

But wait... there is something more...

k6ijhkP.png

Spurious data returns seem to indicate massive pit and possibly a cave at exact north pole. There may be more, but this...

...we shall not speak of. Lock the doors...

ebVAi6L.png

More strange patterns as probe recedes from planet. But, certainly is absolutely reasonable and mundane explanation for bizarre constructs and sensor readings that could not possibly have natural sources. Instruments and data will be rechecked and absolutely nothing metaphysically extraordinary is down there.

Isn't that right, Comrade Controllers?

Nod, Comrade Controllers!

Nod harder.

That's better.

JK77Mg6.png

Yes, well, Vagabond 4 soon leaves Moho behind and returns to interplanetary space in more-or-less useless orbit. Signals are sent to remotely shut down communications and effectively turn off probe as it spends eternity circling the sun and is absolutely never spoken of again, good Comrades...

MTlNlxq.png

Here, let us celebrate with quaffs of rare vintage absolutely not laced with memory-wiping chemicals!

Drink harder, Comrades!

That's better.

Me? Oh, no, I do not drink you see, softens the mind...

Edited by CatastrophicFailure

7 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Vagabond 4 has passed only 880 meters from surface at over 13 kilometers per second!

Wat.

Wow.

Knowing how imprecise the physics engine is, I'm amazed it didn't accelerate to something near the speed of light before exploding needlessly after colliding with the launch pad over Moho. Wait, what were we talking about? I don't remember any probe missions to Moho....

1 hour ago, Cydonian Monk said:

Wat.

Wow.

Knowing how imprecise the physics engine is, I'm amazed it didn't accelerate to something near the speed of light before exploding needlessly after colliding with the launch pad over Moho. Wait, what were we talking about? I don't remember any probe missions to Moho....

I had my finger on F9, saw the hill coming up fast, figured, "eh, what the flarp, maybe I'll get lucky." Wish I'd have been recording, definitely a 'blink and you miss it' moment. I'm almost positive it was actually even closer.

Actually, I'm amazed I got to Moho at all. Anything I send there usually goes horribly, horribly wrong or the orbit spontaneously changes to miss the encounter, even on rails. Moho is cursed, I tell you. Empirical evidence be darned!

18 hours ago, Cydonian Monk said:

Wat.

Wow.

So, at 13 km/sec on Moho, if you were standing on a hill-top it would travel horizon to horizon in less than a second-  I think your shutter speeds on those cameras probably crammed 3000 meters of ground into 10m/pixel.  :)   Nice Quality!   ( :wink: )

Greetings, Comrades!

Today we have, Ussari Space Program, Not like a Purple but more of a PURPLE edition!

Fresh off success of launching five interplanetary space probes and well into celebratory carousing from seemingly endless supply of surplus rocket fuel, someone reminded brilliant Ussari engineers that transfer window to Eve was also rapidly approaching!

Absolutely not running around in panic and occasionally knocking each other over, clever engineers retrieve backup assembly of ill-fated BORSCHT 1 probe from dark corner in back of VAB. Once thoroughly dusted off and cleared of rats equipped with low-cost self-replicating biological experiment, unit is strapped to not-at-all hastily scraped together transfer buss just in time to make launch window!

X5rbmMx.png

Spoiler

asdfasdf

Extremely lucky engineers are able to take advantage of fortuitous transfer burn of only 2900 m/s to send new BORSCHT 2/Vagabond 7 probe towards mysterious purple planet!

oB6tl7M.png

Also slapped on at last minute creatively engineered... 

r2o81CL.png

A hidden surprise!

Meanwhile, deep in space, Vagabond 5 makes initial correction burn, and is now safely on course for Dres encounter in 142 days. If it is even there.

68a13z2.png

72 days after leaving Kerbin, BORSCHT 2/Vagabond 7 arrives at edge of Eve SOI with all systems nominal.

UHQw0tr.png

However, first order of business is now to dial up old friend Vagabond 1, still lonely but healthy in eccentric Eve orbit. Vagabond 1 will use its extra high-gain communications dish to serve as secondary relay for signal back to Kerbin, theoretically allowing constant contact with other vessels in Eve space. Vagabond 1 also burns tiny amount of remaining fuel to achieve more useful 394,000x11,000km orbit.

DUZ9gFY.png

Tension is palpable as BORSCHT 2/Vagabond one approaches perieve and initiates 1000m/s capture burn...

Qzd5jRe.png

Now its self in a highly eccentric but stable orbit, Mission Control begins preparations for all-important Eve landing, but first... get ready for surprise!

uJFYPfO.png

No, is not creepy oversized bald exploding head, is Gilly Explorer! Experimental ion-powered space probe packing impressive 7.2 km/s delta-V budget will later attempt rendezvous and landing on diminutive moonlet of Gilly!

Once back at apoeve, lander unit is decoupled, and Vagabond 7 buss moves into permanent 54,000x2,100km relay orbit.

bbXTvZo.png

BORSCHT lander burns its tiny on-board fuel supply to reduce speed as much as possible and adjust perieve to 90km, well inside Eve's 127km-high atmosphere. At first, all appears normal. Propulsion bus separates at 200km and BORSCHT entry vehicle looses comms for automated descent.

9vtcPeN.png

Atmospheric entry begins as expected. Doppler track of probe from orbiting relay reveals it is stable and deceleration is building. 

And then, all PЦTIЙ breaks loose.

Initial data returns indicated that large portion of Eve's atmosphere is... missing. Yes, missing. There is band of hard vacuum between 100km altitude and 80km altitude. When entry vehicle reaches second 80km atmosphere layer, extremely high pressure results in crushing G-forces well over 55 G's, tearing probe to pieces.

8FwbzwG.png

Spurious data and multiple debris tracks continue to be received for some time, indicating alternating bands of vacuum and atmosphere until debris impacts surface.

Indefatigable Ussari scientists are...  quite defatigated by this most unexpected development that seems to be yet another complete violation of laws of physics.

But fear not, good Comrades! Fearless Ussari exterminators have assured us there is absolutely no chance of low-cost self-replicating biological experiments surviving multiple months in space, intense radiation, fiery atmospheric entry, crushing deceleration, and high-speed impact with surface to disperse across planet and thrive in bizarre alien environment!

mDYP4a5.png

But we do not rest, Comrades, we do not rest! Because visions of purple space rodents of unusual size keep us up all night jumping at shadows. Now, is Gilly Explorer's turn to shine!

h1i9hX3.png

First, Gilly Explorer must perform series of complex orbital maneuvers to match path of tiny moon. First maneuver, is circularizing to 54,000kms.

adfadsf

Spoiler

2bqdAXN.png

Then, transfer orbit is planned on crossing node to reach edge of Gilly orbit...

dMKAsAT.png

This allows for most efficient possible maneuver to make large 43 degree plane change...

9vXvOQU.png

Now fully in plane of Gilly's orbit, probe's own orbit is further tweaked to more closely match. Low-thrust ion engine and Gilly's tiny SOI demands a very slow approach, more like rendezvousing with spacecraft than encountering moon.

EiI3ohx.png

Final intercept maneuver is perfect! Gilly Explorer will now encounter Gilly at it's periapsis with Eve, ensuring uninterrupted communication from relay satellites!

v8Fro9i.png

Successful entry into Gilly's SOI! Moonlet appears to have achieved hydrostatic equilibrium, appearing to be lumpy brown sphere from own force of gravity.

o3DWC2k.png

Capture burn to circular 20km orbit is only 200m/s.

mJyPYRj.png

After expected blackout passing across night side of Gilly, probe begins semiautomated descent sequence. Even tiny ion engine is quite enough to overcome Gilly's minuscule gravity, Gilly Explorer successfully becomes first object to land on body outside of Kerbin system! It appears the rocks here on Gilly are... very strange.

YSqbPyS.png

With just over three kilometers per second remaining on probe, brilliant Ussari engineers now face interesting choice. To move probe across moonlet's surface, gathering moderate amount of science from meager instruments on board, or attempt to return probe to Kerbin in glorious historical but more or less useless achievement! 

asdfasf

What is up with Eves atmosphere? is that a scaling issue?

Is that Gilly lander actually sat on the antenna? How? I thought they just penetrate the surface ... don't they?

I think your choice to have massive long build times with KCT has paid off massivly for you, you are burning through the days getting all these transfer windows, wheras I am building my rockets much faster which means I am still in my first Kerbin year, haven't even had an Eve transfer at all yet. What is the date for you now btw?

3 hours ago, Shania_L said:

What is up with Eves atmosphere? is that a scaling issue?

Is that Gilly lander actually sat on the antenna? How? I thought they just penetrate the surface ... don't they?

I think your choice to have massive long build times with KCT has paid off massivly for you, you are burning through the days getting all these transfer windows, wheras I am building my rockets much faster which means I am still in my first Kerbin year, haven't even had an Eve transfer at all yet. What is the date for you now btw?

I haven't the foggiest idea what this atmospheric kerfufflery is. :blink:

For all I know, it's a one-time thing that will never happen again, wouldn't be the first one. This save is so buggy I'm constantly amazed it runs as well as it does. My last Eve landing attempt didn't get far enough to judge from that, either. I think another, far more simple mission will be in the works. With a healthy tweak to Deadly Reentry's G damage settings. :huh:

Yup, the lander is sitting on the antennas, bit hard to tell from the angle. Wasn't sure if it would work either, especially with 6.4 scale's rather... indecisive surface. Plus, it gets all the good TV stations like that. :D

I think the transfer windows just "randomly" clumped up like that. I'm on year 4, day 234, and that's with 24-hour days too. My build times came waaaay down with enough investment and economies of scale. All my lifters use the same set of parts (for now) so they can be pumped out in just a few days, plus the KI-3 boosters recover for two ready cores for the next flight. That, and I'm not afraid to throw ridiculous amounts of funds at the build times to shorten them. The Ussari space program is, rather ironically, practically rolling in dough right now. And also, funds. Not sure why dough, really, but they've learned not to ask questions. :P

16 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Initial data returns indicated that large portion of Eve's atmosphere is... missing. Yes, missing. There is band of hard vacuum between 100km altitude and 80km altitude.

Egad, that's a weird one.  Remind me not to experiment with resized solar systems :)

15 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

It appears the rocks here on Gilly are... very strange.

But quite attractive.  Try breaking off some small chunks and bringing them home.  I'm sure they'd sell.  A rock like that would go perfectly in a 1970s living room :)

On 7/17/2016 at 10:15 PM, CatastrophicFailure said:

:blink:

For all I know, it's a one-time thing that will never happen again, wouldn't be the first one. This save is so buggy I'm constantly amazed it runs as well as it does. My last Eve landing attempt didn't get far enough to judge from that, either. I think another, far more simple mission will be in the works. With a healthy tweak to Deadly Reentry's G damage settings. :huh:

...This disappoints Zur Proletariat.  Here you have magnificent opportunity to prove Ussari superiority, and instead you invoke witchcraft to alter reality.  tsk-tsk.

( :) ... use retro rocket insanity.  defeat Eve! )

42 minutes ago, GarrisonChisholm said:

...This disappoints Zur Proletariat.  Here you have magnificent opportunity to prove Ussari superiority, and instead you invoke witchcraft to alter reality.  tsk-tsk.

( :) ... use retro rocket insanity.  defeat Eve! )

Well in all fairness, the Galileo probe into Jupiter's atmosphere hit something like 112 g's during entry, I figure 50 or 60 is pretty reasonable for something not alive. Mostly solid hunks of metal are generally pretty squish-tolerant. :0.0:

Greetings, Comrades!

Today, after many weeks in cold, lonely depths of deepest space, Vagabond 5 finally enters theoretical vicinity of diminutive planetlet of Dres!

Just there, below left solar panel...

asdfsa

Spoiler

5Y1T99k.png

Er, wait, no. Is just dust speck...

However, data returned from probe after signal delay of over 18 minutes does seem to indicate presence of something. Instead of recycling systems, intrepid mission controllers decide to just go with it and see what happens! More images resolve...

4b0pLCL.png

Apparently lens is very very dirty. Easily distracted Ussari engineers vow to clean spacecraft better next time!

Currently furthest active object from Kerbin, Vagabond 5 turns homeward to marvel in own solitude while controllers continue to be confused by sensor readings indicating nearby presence of sad, lonely space potato that can't possibly be there!

WVdBkEH.png

Passing only 50 kilometers from dwarf planet that must obviously be mistake, images of enormous craters are returned...

H9Zvj3h.png

No, more dirt. Seriously, is glorious Ussari Space Program! Can we not afford bottle of Space Windex??

Even data itself mocks us!

lltOsna.png

Vagabond 5 continues on into deep space, occasionally sending spurious readings of minor gravity fields...

A2R4RAg.png

But as engineers pour over conflicting science returns that can't possibly be accurate, something interesting is discovered on orbital track!

qCATUuY.png

In 143 more days, a relatively small maneuver will allow Vagabond 5 to fly past Kerbin as it returns to inner solar system! Mission controllers have marked this date, and will make further analysis about modifying trajectory to send probe towards orbit of Duna or further out beyond Jool!

It has also come to our attention, good Comrades, that ahem worthy rivals at sticky-humid Kerbal Space Center have successfully launched new generation of rocket able to put twenty tonnes into orbit! We welcome noble partners into exclusive cabal of space agencies whose space programs aren't complete disasters, currently only occupied by Us.

uo8a6mw.png

On completely unrelated note, with second transfer window to Duna now rapidly approaching, Imperious Academy of Sciences has announced construction has begun on largest, heaviest, most complicated spacecraft ever! Groundbreaking return to Duna will feature two landers, independent satellite communication network, and enough unstable nuclear material to irradiate half of planet if launch fails! Wait, what? Who is proofreading this? Ivan...? IVAN!

jyQAfMe.png

Massing at over 65 tonnes, we... still have absolutely no idea how to put thing in space.

But this is glorious Ussari Space Program, we will not be stymied by such minor details!

On 7/25/2016 at 11:24 AM, insert_name said:

It looks like the loss of comrade political officer has had a rather negative effect on ussari pr

Timelines have gotten a bit skeejawed now. For those following Whispers, Everything after this post goes on after Valentina's, er, triumphant return from the KSC, between Acts II & III, so any rumors of his demise are greatly... premature. :wink: Also, new episode coming up shortly!

Greetings, Comrades!

Today we have Ussari Space Program, Little-on-the-Side Edition!

But first, deep in space, with communication delay now over 20 minutes, Vagabond 3 makes first course correction, putting it on initial intercept with tiny frozen world of Eeloo in 1 year, 149 days.

Qr9SgE8.png

Now, Comrades, we launch first entirely-new lifter since early days of space program! Behold, Urugan-A!

8yrnheS.png

Urugan-A is cut bleeding edge of modern technology, and first use of highly-efficient hydrogen/oxygen engines as primary stage of launch vehicle! Here, rocket immediately nudges sideways to clear launch derricks! Absolutely planned, intentional maneuver!

Kw0TpZg.png

Just after clearing launch towers, Urugan-A executes 150-degree spin, rolling onto back for gravity turn, continuing path of launch "nudge." Engines soon throttle down passing through Max-Q

F9Vular.png

Main engines burn efficient Hydrolox mixture, but stalwart kerosene/oxygen liquid-fueled boosters are used for initial impulse! These are not clunky built-under-license-from-Foreigners technology of old, no! Griffon-XX single-chamber, quad-nozzle layout is brand new design only slightly based on older Reliant model! Go at throttle-up!

hB8eL8O.png

Urugan-A climbs higher and higher shrouded in burning sheath of red-hot plasma! Engines now throttle to maintain steady 3-G acceleration.

PbZH1iv.png

T+2:10, 65km altitude, 29km downrange, booster shutdown and separation!

mq4FUzt.png

Separation is successful, and boosters will fall back to destructive landing on Kerbin (sorry again about hut, random peasant! You really should move! What? They won't let you move? Oh, er, that is most awkward... glory to the Union!) Initial design analysis predicts boosters are too heavy for recovery by parachute, but brilliant Ussari engineers are even now working on proposals for automated powered recovery in future!

iRrdAaQ.png

And now you will say to me, "Comrade, why is put payload on side of rocket?" We put payload on side of rocket... we put payload on side of rocket, and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because this... we do not speak of!

jYD7to2.png

You see, Ivan, when put payload on side of rocket, is much closer to launch pad!

Here we see arrangement of four high-gimballing hydrolox-powered Vector engines, that will boost stack to final apoapsis. Also visible are pair of hydrazine orbital maneuvering engines on Interim Propulsion Stage. They will be used for final orbital insertion as Vector cannot be restarted and IPS carries no cryogenic fuel of its own... for now.

8ZXCdhg.png

Core stage fuel is depleted and separation is successful! Core will fall back to destructive re-entry while payload is boosted to stable orbit.

dd1TpW7.png

Fairing separation reveals mission package! Urugan-A will set more records as first nuclear-powered spacecraft, and first landing on Duna!

YIUd5Js.png

IPS provides final impulse to 180km parking orbit. Future developments will allow for fully restartable cryogenic transfer stage!

DxNLhRO.png

IPS then de-orbits self and falls harmlessly into ocean. Mostly. Sorry about boat, random fisherkerb! Swim, good fisherkerb! Swim harder!

That's better.

KGbX5lB.png

Nine days later, after thorough on-orbit checkout, Urugan-A mission payload ignites pair of ammonia-fueled nuclear thermal engines for 3500m/s burn to Duna, details of which will follow in next installment of Glorious Ussari Space Program!

sqUVMAy.png

l9L6MNq.png

Spoiler: OOC is serious business

Spoiler

So, I cannot believe how well this thing flies! I was expecting to spend hours of SceneChange->Crash->Restart just trying to get it to fly straight, let alone go to space. The very first (ok, second) booster-less test launch actually made it not only to space but most of the way to orbital speed. Even adding the boosters didn't throw the balance off. It flies very steady, only wobbling a bit when throttling, and stays well within control authority, but you can really see the engines gimballing toward the end there. As it is it's a bit overpowered for a mere 65 tonnes!

Also, @insert_name once again you're too quick. :wink:

Ok, tell me the truth, was this supposed to be a tall rocket, but it fell over in the VAB and you just gaffa taped it all together where the pieces fell?

It is singlehandedly the most beautful and most heath-robinson dragging a magnet through a scrapyard, kind of creation I have ever seen flying ... it just looks soo wrong, it shouldn't fly ... and yet it does.

Also, ammonia, interesting choice, I shall await your explaination in the next episode :)

12 hours ago, insert_name said:

Yeah I never got an asymmetric lifter working, let alone the first time

Vectors make ALL the difference. It's a shame dtobi's gimbal mod is no longer around, either.

8 hours ago, Shania_L said:

Ok, tell me the truth, was this supposed to be a tall rocket, but it fell over in the VAB and you just gaffa taped it all together where the pieces fell?

It is singlehandedly the most beautful and most heath-robinson dragging a magnet through a scrapyard, kind of creation I have ever seen flying ... it just looks soo wrong, it shouldn't fly ... and yet it does.

Also, ammonia, interesting choice, I shall await your explaination in the next episode :)

Funny you should phrase it like that, since my inspiration was actually mounted upside-down as well, just like it had fallen over. It didn't turn out so well.

I'll have to put together a video showing how disturbingly straight it flies for something so beautifully ugly. There's lots of headroom left, pretty sure I can push the payload to 100 tonnes without too much trouble. Now all I need is a 100 tonne payload. <_<

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.