Ussari Space Program! A highly [unstable] modded 64K career from behind the iron kertain!

Greetings, Comrades! 

Today, we gather to celebrate record-breaking return to space of brave Dibella Kermanov! Fearless Dibella shall become first Ussari to go to space twice on this endurance-testing long duration flight! Brave Dibella prepares for launch on sturdy, reliable Krasniyy Ivan booster!

Spoiler

z1pWBT2.png

This shall mark final flight of obsolete Orbiter spacecraft. With only attitude control and no other ability to maneuver in space, this stepping-stone technology must be set aside in march for progress! Remaining inventory shall be comitted to museums as Imperious Academy of Sciences sees fit.

Liftoff of Brave Dibella on board Oduvanchik!

qbWRDBn.png

As per standard Krasniyy Ivan launch profile, two main engines shut down at 60% tank capacity, approximately 17km in altitude, just after Max Q.

s3FTB8G.png

First stage burnout and separation near edge of atmosphere. Powerful ullage motors ensure safe separation and proper fuel stability!

4AdLcFo.png

Just after first stage separation when primary (although slight) risk has passed, heavy launch escape tower is jettisoned, efficient Krasniyy Ivan sustainer stage provides final impulse to orbit!

4nTPqj2.png

Second stage puts stalwart Dibella into final 200x120km orbit at low 43 degree inclination. Patient Dibella now begins three day mission to test ability of Kerbal to survive in space!

Addkyqs.png

Imperious Academy of Sciences has authorized this rare glimpse into mission control telemetry feed of brave Dibella's historic launch!

Iq1opIs.png

Over next 70 orbits, heroic Dibella continues to set space record after space record! First Kerbal to sleep in space! First Kerbal to eat in space! First Kerbal to get sick in space from eating space food in space! Dibella also makes detailed observation of stars, life sciences, and high altitude espionage geographic studies! Plans for EVA on this mission have been removed to ensure adequate time for so many important experiments! After nearly three and a half days, with batteries low and attitude fuel nearly spent, tired but ever eager Dibella begins procedures for uneventful re-entry!

r2cihAb.png

Brave Dibella will now fire reliable solid rocket de-orbit motor for historic return to Kerbin!

8caFoL8.gif

Ahem, Brave Dibella will now fire reliable solid rocket motor for historic return!

UCTcQHW.gif

Brave Dibella will now fire solid rocket motor...

xNjircD.gif

Kermangrad, we have problem!

Spoiler

...but we also have...

e0U7N3K.png

...solution!

Edited by CatastrophicFailure

• 2 weeks later...

Fear not for delays, good Comrades! Tireless Ussari engineers work round the clock to mount rescue mission!

Meanwhile, brilliant Ussari scientists manipulate very fabric of reality to bring great advancements to our people, gathering in hushed circles whispering cryptic phrases like "64-bit" and "1.0.5."

PMnQzlC.png

16 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

PMnQzlC.png

Heh.  I don't knowww, the Kwest is starting to Kwonder...

Though, I just realized- one of the redacted contracts visible in Mission Control's publicity photo must be some nefarious scheme to strand Dibella in orbit for a diabolic mission; to compel her to test some unregistered snacks so as to survive until rescue!

Edited by GarrisonChisholm

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings, Comrades! After fitting dramatic pause for minor adjustment of fabric of reality, we are back!

We last left brave Dibella Kermanov stranded in orbit with no hope of return and suspensefully dwindling resources, but stalwart people of Ussari Union are resolute, and will not be stymied by mere technicalities of thermodynamics! Upon brilliant idea of minor mission control technician, unmanned first test flight of new Zarya spacecraft will be repurposed into rescue mission!

Spoiler

SMACqeu.png

Zarya test article is partially unfinished and lacks small luxuries like approach radar and primary life support, but will support one Kerbal long enough for first-ever rendezvous in space! Chosen pilot for daring mission is none other than brave Valentina Kerman! Who was absolutely not removed from flight rotation due to concerns over unstable mental state after minor anomaly on historic first flight into space. Brave Valentina blasts off into night sky! Experimental Zarya rides on now-standard uprated Krasniyy Ivan launch vehicle, easily placing 5-tonne mass into 250km chase orbit.

P2EyPVB.png

Shortly after first stage separation, inert abort motors are safely jettisoned, unlike risky launch abort tower of Orbiter flights!

RrxXD6H.png

Zarya is now safely in orbit and running on plentiful collection of batteries. All systems (that were actually installed) are go for rendezvous! 

zyNkobp.png

Running on reliable hypergloc aerozine and NTO, Zarya's main maneuvering engines lower orbit to proper Hohmann transfer. After minor difficulties with ullage.

nezQbOR.png

After many tense hours, Zarya closes in on brave Dibella's stricken Orbiter high above Kerbin!

6N2JrEg.png

With neither vessel equipped for docking, steely Valentina must manually maneuver Zarya right up to hull of orbiter to permit EVA transfer. Cutting-edge Mechanical Inertia, Velocity, Attitude and Navigation computer then automatically holds position while brave Valentina releases hatch!

MAkQnfv.png

After absolutely no gripping space drama or poignant revelations on nature of light and darkness, stalwart Valentina successfully extricates Dibella from now-antiquated Orbiter!

EOzp54y.png

KBs4Tlv.png

Both Kerbals now safely on board and batteries running low, Zarya is immediately de-orbited after performing perfectly!

wpqqGkn.png

qHObMov.png

Descending past suburb of Kermangrad.

D6rTtVy.png

Parachute deployment perfectly on schedule! 

aPSg3bb.png

Behold return of wonderful, wonderful shadows!

NGJlZJH.png

Fearless Dibella and Valentina descend to flawless landing in none other than glorious Crimson Square, during annual commemoration of Glorious Octember Revolution (That actually happened in Septober)! Behold absolutely not retouched to remove demolished parade float of Vladimir Kermin and cheering crowds photograph!

BjUxB8x.png

Following successful landing, brave Valentina has been remanded to custody pending full investigation while Dibella recovers in infirmary. 

After first orbital space flight, Zarya has performed beyond expectations even though minor areas for improvement have been identified. 

Temporary moratorium on crewed spaceflight has been declared by Imperious Academy of Sciences so that space program may engage in self criticism and identify factors behind troubling inability to launch and return Kerbals reliably. 

Uncrewed space program continues to perform flawlessly and will shortly resume operations after personnel recover from copious analysis of rocket fuel during Octember Revolution festivities!

Greetings Comrades! Today we bring short update as space program begins resumption of activities following most recent challenges, and we continue to test New and Improved™ Reality upgrade!

Single focal point for ever-expanding Ussari communication network has been needed for some time. Imperious Academy of Sciences has proposed using single massive satellite as primary relay point. Today we launch Comm-2 on reliable Krasniyy Ivan extended launcher! Extremely large fairing has necessitated ring of vernier thrusters to maintain sufficient control authority in lower atmosphere.

Spoiler

jUaun6o.png

Completely rebuilt after predecessor, Comm-1, stubbornly refused to exist after Reality Upgrade, Comm-2 is first satellite designed from outset to be both serviced and upgraded in space! Expandable nature will ensure long-term usefulness of investment! Comm-2 rises above sunset toward 2868-km dawn-dusk orbit! 

WuO6dj3.png

Following nominal staging, Krasniyy Ivan and payload are seen here passing over great city of Kermangrad due to polar launch azimuth. Absolutely no chance of flaming rocket debris raining down on city from spent first stage! Kriasniyy Ivan second stage makes single burn to near depletion to place payload directly into 2868kmx144kmx90* initial orbit.

p5kpWtZ.png

Spent second stage is discarded shortly before apokee so retro thrusters can drop it into atmosphere. Ground control technicians noticed significant liquid oxygen boiloff during hour-long coast. Suitable heat dissipation systems will need to be incorporated into later flights requiring longer on-orbit dwell time in this new Reality.

CqRjvmg.png

Comm-2 begins circularization using on-board hydrazine thrusters. Unfortunately, it is discovered that carried fuel was insufficient to achieve intended orbit, leaving Comm-2 stranded in 2872x1422km orbit. This is not disaster, as satellite remains fully function and has been designed for resupply. Dry mass on orbit is just short of 4 tonnes, massive solar arrays ensure plentiful power for long-range dish antennas, one of which will remain pointed towards Eve.

OCO0yXp.png

What is cylindrical component with window that looks suspiciously like crew compartment on communications satellite for, you ask? Is absolutely not prototype space station! Brilliant Ussari engineers have determined that high-tech electronic systems perform best in temperature and pressure environment similar to that preferred by Kerbals, and so have packaged them in pressurized compartment that will also allow for easy maintenance by visiting repair crew!

OOC is serious business:

Spoiler

So, so my great shock it seems the upgrade has actually worked! This is the first craft built and launched completely with the new 1.0.5/64-bit setup, and everything seems to be working properly *knock wood*. No more annoying OpenGL lack-of-shadows, visuals are alot better, and I only get crashes every hour or so instead of every other scene change. Annoying bugs I have noticed are that the game starts to ignore right-clicks after a while, and only one hemisphere seems to be randomly missing clouds. This, I can live with. Now I can also slap on some of the part mods I've had to avoid due to the old 32-bit memory limit. I noticed the other day the game was chugging happily along at 7.5 gigs memory usage :cool:.

5 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

jUaun6o.png

WuO6dj3.png

p5kpWtZ.png

CqRjvmg.png

OCO0yXp.png

OOC is serious business:

Hide contents

So, so my great shock it seems the upgrade has actually worked! This is the first craft built and launched completely with the new 1.0.5/64-bit setup, and everything seems to be working properly *knock wood*. No more annoying OpenGL lack-of-shadows, visuals are alot better, and I only get crashes every hour or so instead of every other scene change. Annoying bugs I have noticed are that the game starts to ignore right-clicks after a while, and only one hemisphere seems to be randomly missing clouds. This, I can live with. Now I can also slap on some of the part mods I've had to avoid due to the old 32-bit memory limit. I noticed the other day the game was chugging happily along at 7.5 gigs memory usage :cool:.

Nice, I actually hit the 8GB limit of my system (friggin firefox open) with my 64bit install. The clouds issue is a bug in EVE saddly, but SVE is an AWESOME mod.

20 hours ago, Sovek said:

Nice, I actually hit the 8GB limit of my system (friggin firefox open) with my 64bit install. The clouds issue is a bug in EVE saddly, but SVE is an AWESOME mod.

Ah, so the cloud thing is not just me. I kinda recall Scott Manley having the same problem with his RO install, never heard any details on how/if he fixed it. If that's the worst, I suppose I can live with it. Just chalk it up to Kerbin's indecisive weather. :blink:

20 hours ago, legoclone09 said:

Great work! The satellite looks amaxing, I ike how you used the MIR/Salyut parts to make the satellite. Can you upload a ckan file of all the mods used because I'm too lazy I don't know all of them?

Cool, did not know exporting the list was actually possible. Here's a link to it and I'll update the OP as well. Bear in mind, some of the entries have been manually removed. RSCFX, for example, is no longer needed and stopped the game from loading before I removed it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9fig6y3hfrytzqj/UssariSpaceProgram.ckan?dl=0

Greetings, Comrades!

Progress marches on, and Glorious Ussari Union must move with march of progress or be mired in petty squabbles like poor backwards Foreigners! Due to anomalously high rate of... anomalies, Glorious Ussari Space Program is to be re-organized into new national space agency under moniker of USKOSMOS. Reorganization and centralization will allow for ever greater accomplishments! Now, all facets of space program will report directly to previously assigned Kommisarriat. Temporary moratorium on crewed space flight has been put into effect, but we do not rest, Comrades! New Kerbonauts will be trained and second launch pad is now under construction by way of KCT. 

Today we bring final two launches of prior organization! Previously launched COMM-2 must be reboosted to proper orbit, and TIROS-class weather satellite will hitch ride!
This fairly low-mass payload is launched on standard Krasniyy Ivan launch vehicle, which shall be renamed under USKOSMOS to KI-S class.

Spoiler

tvvVvh0.png

Unusually large fairing and New and Improved™ Reality have necessitated addition of aerodynamic control fins for this launch. KI-S inserts payload into higher 479x299km orbit at 90 degree inclination.

20EuzA2.png

New TIROS-class weather satellite is then deployed.

0eUnCEW.png

TIROS will provide high-altitude weather observations and absolutely not be used for photoreconnaissance!

Fem5E9g.png

Meanwhile, experimental orbital tug is deployed and begins rendezvous procedures pioneered by brave Kerbonaut Valentina Kermanova!

JDwEcRF.pngH90X4lc.png

Tug successfully meets up with stranded COMM-2 absolutely-not-prototype-space-station to begin experimental automated docking sequence!

KUIMqic.png

State of the art probe-and-drogue docking system and advanced Mechanical Inertia, Velocity, Attitude, and Navigation package bring satellite into proper alignment and automated docking is successful! COMM-2 is boosted to proper 2868-km orbit and begins full functionality.

AnZsHTq.png

Strangely, orbital tug suffers minor engineering malfunction after undocking and is unable to fire engine. Final re-entry burn must be completed on RCS.

tj0q31m.png

Yet we do not rest, Comrades, we do not rest! Outgoing space program administration had noticed lack of full launch capacity to ten tonnes, and ordered redesign of reliable Krasniyy Ivan platform to provide full capacity. New Krasniyy Ivan Advanced, now designated KI-A, has shed several tonnes by changing frame to lightweight balloon tanks in both stages.

lHu6ZFE.png

Further weight savings are achieved by jettisoning two engines instead of merely shutting down.

w8d8j2w.png

Design features new one-piece interstage skirt!

Nyd6KSI.png

But greatest advance comes from entirely new fully cryogenic hydrolox upper stage! New engine and extended fuel tanks actually weigh less than old kerolox stage despite increase in size! Hydrogen engine also provides significantly more power for more efficient flight profile!

SBGYmiY.png

This test launch features only 9.5-tonne test mass along with standard 500kg CHAOS package for on-orbit control, but successfully demonstrates Ussari ability to put ten-ton payload into space! After several revolutions, test article is de-orbited.

pBKMm69.png

Here, have aesthetically pleasing image of TIROS passing near southern coast of Kerfrica.

Xnnzm92.png

Absolutely not spying on Kerbal Space Center!

3 hours ago, GarrisonChisholm said:

...you know, I would pay to have the Commissar narrate my drive to work one day.

Brilliant fun.

*salute!*

Funny you should mention that. I drive for a living, he narrates practically my whole day:

Greetings, Comrades! Today we observe fascinating behavior of American motorists in natural habitat! Behold, this frugal driver preserves resale value of automobile by never using turn signal. Ever. Hundred thousand miles on engine, turn signal, brand new!

Now, brave Prius driver will demonstrate Newton's First Law by cutting off speeding transit bus! Object at rest will remain at rest until acted upon by outside force, in this case sixty thousand pound motorcoach. Smile, broken Prius driver!

Smile harder. That's better  

Greetings, Comrades! We come to you today with rare pre-weekend edition!

For today's flight, brilliant Ussari engineers continue to press edge of scientific understanding ever forwards, for Glorious Ussari Union has now landed successfuly on tiny moon of Minmus! 

Spoiler

fVYMyNq.png

Launching on Krasniyy Ivan-Extended vehicle, now redeignated KI-X, Minmus Prime probe is officially heaviest and most expensive single payload ever launched. Packed with truly ridiculous amount of scientific instruments, two-part probe is valued at no less than ✓95,000, and tips scales at just over 8 tonnes with fairings, straining reliable KI-X to absolute limit.

SbmDHqf.png

Once established in 162x120x50* parking orbit, shiny new probe now waits 29 days for Minmus transfer window due to minor mathematical error.

iT7PYVK.png

But resilient probe uses trusty storable hypergolic fuels for long-term reliability! Long wait till TMI window allows engineers extra time for self-criticism and contemplation of exposure to Kerberian winter if they fail to check math again. Trans-Minmus insertion burn eventually proceeds as planned.

If8HQbZ.png

After 15 days on non-eventful flight, Minmus Prime begins final approach to enigmatic moon just as finishing touches are being applied to second launchpad back at Cosmodrome!

BJTedz3.png

Probe immediately beings return of initial science findings. Reliable hypergolic transfer stage retains just enough fuel for 400m/s capture burn.

btQSiQ9.png

Probe now enters highly elliptic 1000x15 kilometer science orbit. Once final system check is complete, unpowered orbiter is separated from lander and transfer stage to serve as orbital relay for current and future missions.

AdX2Nej.png

Someone notices at this point that Minmusian highlands may actually reach above 15km periapse of probes, potentially leading to costly and embarrassing premature lithobraking. Delicate orbital ballet with control delay of nearly full second then ensues to modify orbit to more stable 25km periapse, as lander must get out and push unpowered orbiter.

In other news, Kerberian icecap observation outpost gains several new accountants. Calculate, slightly frostbitten new accountants!
Calculate harder!
That's better.

1sDVMgx.png

Now with all in readiness, Minmus Prime lander prepares for historic descent! Remaining fuel in transfer stage is burned until exhausted, extending on-board fuel available to lander. Spent stage will surely make spectacular crater in ice!

SChCszD.png

Lander makes final descent using cluster of pressure-fed hydrazine thrusters. This has brought to attention of USKOSMOS distinct lack of availability of proper pressure-fed, ullage-free hydrazine engine for small probes and landers. This will be investigated at later date, for now, Minmus Prime flawlessly touches down on frozen surface of Minmus!

MESwOs0.png?1

Packaged with lander are pair of seismic analysis sub-probes, energetically launched just prior to and just after landing, courtesy of DMagic Orbital sciences.

v8DaYoU.png

In low Minmusian gravity, seismic probes travel over 10 and 8km respectively from main probe buss before coming to rest. Seismic hammer experiment will use data from distant probes to... probe internal makeup of icy moon!

WdM0w9M.png

Sub-probes now deployed, Minmus Prime begins primary scientific mission using every bit of truly ridiculous number of scientific instruments on board!

qFQ8HXe.png

After primary science mission on ice flats is completed, it is decided that more than sufficient fuel remains to attempt hop to another biome. Hydrazine thrusters boost probe high into Minmus sky again and up into midlands biome, nearly doubling scientific returns!

Txea9fS.png

After not one but two successful landings on distant moon, fuel still remains to possibly attempt second hop. Plans for this are dashed, however, when probe suddenly disappears from tracking station, not unlike ill-fated Müna 7. Weak signals are still received from seismic probes, but they are unable to do anything of use on own. While overall mission has been stunning success, this is a troubling development, good Comrades!

qxdHAOv.png

With data from Minmus prime now thoroughly analyzed and compared with Müna 7, incoming USKOSMOS administration has decided that bizarre probe-eating behavior of other worlds can only be fully investigated by leaving Kerbin system altogether and have authorized rapid development of critical mission to land on Eve!

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings, Comrades! Plans are afoot for most complicated space mission ever undertaken, but we are stalwart in face of challenge! Soon USKOSMOS rocket will send first interplanetary space probe toward mysterious purple world of Eve in search of endless supply of borscht! But this will be difficult, good Comrades, and we must plan carefully!

USKOSMOS will therefore launch full-scale in-space test of mechanical Eve lander capsule! Little is known of exact composition of Evian atmosphere, so performance of capsule entering at interplanetary speeds must be demonstrated. Expected communication signal delay at such great distance is likely to be several minutes, actively controlled landing will not be possible. Brilliant Ussari engineers have crafted exquisitely complex and reliable fully automated entry and landing sequence! From time of capsule separation, on-board systems will mechanically manipulate all necessary systems, then deploy long-range dish and re-establish communication once safely on surface.

Behold! Ministry of Truth has prepared video of complete flight sequence, set to approved traditional music!

This mission represents first operational use of cutting-edge Krasniyy Ivan Advanced launch vehicle, now redesignated KI-A! Probe is far below 10-ton payload rating of new rocket, cryogenic second stage will therefore boost it to over 100,000km eccentric orbit! On-board service engine will then correct course and boost speed even further to beyond Kerbin escape velocity! Expected speed at re-entry will be well over 8km/s, simulating significant percent of estimated entry speed at Eve.

Highly offset center of mass will allow capsule to aerodynamically skip through atmosphere after reaching initial periapse, reducing heating and G-loading on sensitive instruments! Lander is even capable of somewhat reduced functionality on possible liquid surface.

Ooo purdy moving pictures!!

You have an Eve window approaching? you must be skipping through days far faster than me, my calc isnt showing an Eve window for at least another 300 days ... but then it wouldnt be the first time it has lied to me :(. Only realised last week that I have completely missed the efficient Duna transfer point, gonna have to go inefficient now... but faster so there is that :)

How are you timing all the action groups? I think you said before that you had a falling out with the RT computer, which only allows pure 'time from now' events to be setup, your airbag and antenna seem to be triggered from making landfall ... how!!?
I have disabled the light-speed delay on probes, but even so having the ability to re-activate delicate antenna after landings (without putting in a 30min delay) would be v-useful.

The window is about 200 days out yet. KCT is telling me about 100 days to build the rocket. MechJeb's porkchop interplanetary transfer planner is a help too. Totally forgot to even check for a Duna window. :( But Eve is easier for an uncontrolled landing because:

SMART PARTS! Love these things! I use them fairing deployment on every flight, and usually to time the launch clamp release. They can activate action groups based on fuel remaining, altitude, proximity, or simply time. Just before touchdown, a pair of timers activate that deflate the landing bags then deploy the dish & panels. Need to have the dish targeted BEFORE loss of signal, tho.

Ohh, 200days? so its 'that' meaning of Soon(TM):cool:

Ahh ... MehJeb ... :sealed:, I have the porkchop plotter with Kerbal Alarm Clock, its probably user error missing the Hohlman transfer, just my latent impatience showing through again restricting transfer time to something I can stand waiting for.

100days to build!! wow, my Duna class probes, are taking about 20days each (~10t payload for a HDIII), so unless you are building some Wackjovian monstrosity, I would really consider either dropping some hints about Kiberian holiday camps, or you know maybe paying your techs a working wage? :)

Ohh I have heard of them Smart parts. Would be V useful for atmospheric landing of probes.

Timing launch clamps? fairing separation? why do these things need automation? Other than KW motors having a spool up time so get themselves a stage 0 ignition everything else goes in 1 launch stage. I just watch the thrust output till it nearly matches max before releasing the rocket. Fairings again get a stage to themselves which I fire at 91km, its not like I have anything else to do while I wait for the rocket to empty its tanks.

I'm a fan of "push the button then pray" type launches, I like it when I have everything perfectly dialed in so I can just hit engage & space and watch the rocket go to space. Little things like having the launch clamps & umbilicals release in a cascade amuse me. I have the build formula in KCT cranked way up to something ridiculous, a typical KI booster takes around 20 days to build. I'll need three of them plus a huge cryo transfer stage and a bunch of never-before-build hardware. The initial payload to LKO is around 17 tonnes right now, it's a framerate-killing monster.

I haven't tried other porkchop plotters but the MJ one can figure earlier departures for a little extra DV. It's amazing what a few hundred extra m/s will get for a transfer. Trying to go interplanetary from a 50* inclination, that will pretty much require it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.