"Eve: Order Zero" -- a KSP Graphic Novel (POSTLUDE COMPLETE...bet you didn't see THAT coming.)

Half correct; I don't care if the M7 is empty when it lands, as the Hohmann transfer home is in about a year so there's plenty of time to refuel on the surface. I just want to make sure I have plenty of fuel for the descent, both to keep out of the "too fast too low explodey" zone and to get that nice precise landing within sight of the Dipperkraft! :D

Well, it shouldn't take that much fuel to land in atmosphere... hopefully...

On the other hand, looking at my Minmus mining wreck (autopilot malfunction just above the ground - didn't check for one particular parameter going a bit too high and resulting in square root of negative number...), suicide burns may not be the best idea.

Still, I was expecting you to land this craft almost empty, given that it would ensure less heat on reentry, less terminal velocity and better controllability. But you can always overcompensate it with extra delta v, I guess.

In any case, let us all hope that the landing goes smoothly.

I sense a "Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit hidrazine" joke aproaching fast ;)

Eve is not so bad. Just imagine how tough it would be to shake 'hydrazine' problem on Eeloo :D The cold, loneliness and all that free ice around :sticktongue:

Oh! You changed your avatar!

And yes, I think they can. Not for very long, though.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41MUQunnGqL._SX425_.jpg

Anything can be rocket fuel, if you try hard enough!

Yep, had it made for me. (I tried to make my own and it looked terrible :D ) You like?

Also, I'm still confused, why did you say LFO? What did you mean? :confused:

Yep, had it made for me. (I tried to make my own and it looked terrible :D ) You like?

Also, I'm still confused, why did you say LFO? What did you mean? :confused:

Well, you could pour LF/O into a backpack. But it wouldn't work very well. Know what happens when you don't screw on the top to a fuel bottle correctly? Imagine that, but more.

If you put it in a bottle, like above, it might work. Kerosene is stable at room temps, we use it on camping trips to light lanterns. (How it was used before Herr Von Braun.) As for the LOX, IDK how you'd store it.

Five pages...

GKN6KfC.png

wOmLPvd.png

oX0C46O.png

j3xfuKa.png

MGaDsXn.png

So I think it's safe to say that wherever the landing ends up, it's significantly more than 30km--making Mikki the winner! Mikki please PM me with your idea, and if it's "reasonable" I'll do it!

Also, major shoutout to Parkaboy for giving me the missing link I needed to use Free IVA and get those shots of Jeb in the Mk1 cockpit!

And I really tried to get closer. I really really did! But yeah, at 600 tons drag does not have a huge effect on the M7's momentum. If I'd sent Kranefly back to Gilly a second time I might have had enough fuel to slow down some more and get closer--but Dilsby called it correctly, we were bingo at that point and needed to shut down to save some for a (hopefully) happy landing.

We'll get to that part (the actual landing) next time. Will the M7 be in few enough pieces to lift off again? Stay tuned and find out!

Wait a minute -- is that good good, or Air Service "good".

Literally LOL'd at that one.

Looks like it should be a happy landing as long as Jeb left enough fuel. After all, he doesn't run out of fuel every time, does he?

Very happy landings!

Well, you could pour LF/O into a backpack. But it wouldn't work very well. Know what happens when you don't screw on the top to a fuel bottle correctly? Imagine that, but more.

I have indeed carried liquid fuel (for a campstove), solid boosters (mfg. Estes company) and 'hydrazine' in that pack at one time or another. It's highly versatile.

Looks like it should be a happy landing as long as Jeb left enough fuel. After all, he doesn't run out of fuel every time, does he?

Turns out putting Dilsby on that ship with Jeb wasn't the worst idea in the world, eh? :)

And then they start singing something like this:

1 Kerbal waits for EAV,

1 Kerbal counts its delta V.

You send him one,

it lands upside down...

2 Kerbals wait for EAV.

2 Kerbals wait for EAV,

2 Kerbals count its delta V.

You send them one,

but it falls apart...

3 Kerbals wait for EAV.

3 Kerbals wait for EAV,

3 Kerbals count its delta V.

You send them one,

but half burns up...

4 Kerbals wait for EAV.

4 Kerbals wait for EAV,

4 Kerbals count its delta V.

You send them one,

but an engine gets smashed...

5 Kerbals wait for EAV.

Hum, I sincerily hope that their "hydrazine" is not carbonated. 5 atmo compression on one of those will surely give out some monumental burps as soon as they get back to 1 atmo ;)

Edited by r_rolo1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.