Whats your favourite rocket?

Tristonwilson12

[quote name='Legendary Emu']I like the H-11A. Mostly because it's not white.[/QUOTE]
It's H-IIA. (Roman numeral for 2)

And the core stage is not white because it is unpainted insulation for the liquid hydrogen/liquid oxygen propellant (like Delta IV, Space Shuttle)

However, the [URL="http://global.jaxa.jp/projects/rockets/h2a/upgrade.html"]upgraded H-IIA[/URL] (which will actually [URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hZo7RTSBXY"]launch in a few hours from now[/URL]) will have its second stage painted white to protect the liquid hydrogen from boiling off.

[quote name='SidusBrist']My favorite is definitely the Ariane V, it looks so... perfect! *-*

[url]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/24/Ariane_5_(mock-up).jpg/270px-Ariane_5_(mock-up).jpg[/url]

Oh, I'm... new here. I love KSP and I love space. :3[/QUOTE]

This picture is not a rocket though. (It's a pretty cool museum)

Agreed that Ariane 5 is the best one :)

I'm going to have to go with the Atlas D. I love the polished metal skin, the way it frosts up when fueled, the little vernier motors on the side. I think its appearance, and the "stage and a half" engine arrangement, make it a fairly unique rocket.

7212185490_f7cbd11b1d_b.jpg

Atlas_D_with_Mercury-Atlas_5_(Nov._29_19

7326854466_2a1545148a_b.jpg

Edited by Ten Key
Fixed embedded images.

[quote name='Legendary Emu']Be careful. Falcon 9 love leads to SpaceX love and SpaceX love leads to SpaceX elitism and no one likes elitism :P[/QUOTE]

I loved SpaceX since I heard of it first. I'm no elitist though. I love the United Launch Alliance too.

I'd have to say I like the Delta IV series of rockets the most. It just feels like it should be launching humans into space (and it should! A D-IV Heavy sent a boilerplate Orion around the moon; why can't a D-IV with 4 GEM-90s send Orion ot the ISS?).

• 5 months later...

The Diamant A, manufactured in France in the mid-1960s, in 1965 it launched Astérix which was the first french satellite, the satellite was named after a popular French comic character.

Black Arrow manufactured in the United Kingdom I have always liked the name it sounds really stealthy and like something out of a medieval legend, that and it looks like a giant bullet. Designed in the late sixties, Black Arrow was best known for launching the British satellite Prospero in 1971. Prospero was named for a character in William Shakespeare's Play The Tempest

• 1 month later...
On 28/07/2015 at 5:44 AM, Camacha said:

Ah, the infamous first law of Camacha comes into play. It does not matter what the subject is or when the photo is made, as soon there is an image of anything remotely remarkable, people online will cry Photoshop! This is regardless of whether the image is fake or not, or when it was made.

In this case, I consider it more likely that the picture was made with an extremely long lens. This tends to bunch up and flatten subjects that are actually rather spaced out into a compact, often unrealistic group. It is exactly what you would expect to see being used at a rocket launch.

Some images of buildings show this same effect - there barely appear to be any perspective.

Nybldgs.jpg

That's exactly what I first thought.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.