[WIP][1.8.x] SSTULabs - Low Part Count Solutions (Orbiters, Landers, Lifters) - Dev Thread [11-18-18]

Shadowmage

Just now, Jimbodiah said:

I just had the same thing tonight, litterally hundreds of thousands of nullrefs. Only a clean install of KSP solved it, don't know what it is, maybe a silent patch?

Oh my Kerbal.....It's full of Nullrefs...

It wasn't Contares, I removed everything but the squad directory and still had it, hence I deleted the entire ksp folder (excrements, didnt backup my ships etc, ah well). After re-installing I added all my mods again 3-4 at a time and now it is running with all the mods but without the nullrefs.

hey Shadowmage, just wanted to tell you, the fix you included in the recent release corrected the problem with the tank volumes.  We are somehow only get 86% of the listed volume but that's an issue we can work around.

I've got a question about the SSTU-SC-TANK-MUS-* tanks.  Is there something inherent in the SSTU code that keeps RESOURCE from working with the MUS tanks?  I tried setting up a config that includes a static RESOURCE.  When in game, looking at the part in the database, I can see the RESOURCE but the part itself doesn't have it.  It's perfectly possible its something I'm doing wrong but I can't see an issue with the config so I figured I'd check if this is something the code is intentionally doing.

@Shadowmage I've noticed you're still using the .24 MM plugin in and not .25. Is there known issues with .25 and SSTUL? Or have you just not had time to check MM?
If there are known issues, this might be the cause for the nullrefs I'm getting as I use .25 and not .24.

15 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

@Shadowmage I've noticed you're still using the .24 MM plugin in and not .25. Is there known issues with .25 and SSTUL? Or have you just not had time to check MM?
If there are known issues, this might be the cause for the nullrefs I'm getting as I use .25 and not .24.

The changes between 2.6.24 and 2.6.25 are pretty minor.  Probably just hasn't been updated in the SSTU repository.  If you're getting exceptions the only way to know what's causing them it to see them in the log. 

I updated to the new SSTUL and the problem still occurs. Going to update contares and see if that does anything.
Also, I found out it's not just the RS-68 engine having the plume problem.
It is also:
F1B but only the exhaust port and not the main nozzle
LR81 - Only exhaust port
RD-108
RD-107-A
RD-0110

I had the debug menu up and no null refs are coming up. I can't figure this out. Hopefully an update with fix it.

Just wanted to know, how stable is this mod at? Are there still many bugs or issues? I ask because it looks really solid, visually and all! Just wanted to know how mature (for lack of a better word) it was. 

Thanks and great work! The engines look simply amazing! Also, now that I think of it, what are the engine stats like? Like the RS-25 (SSME), what's the ISP and weitght and thrust like? Are they anything like the stock ones? Or should is that info available in the wiki? (sorry, didnt check it yet...)

CM

3 minutes ago, Calvin_Maclure said:

Just wanted to know, how stable is this mod at? Are there still many bugs or issues? I ask because it looks really solid, visually and all! Just wanted to know how mature (for lack of a better word) it was. 

Thanks and great work! The engines look simply amazing! Also, now that I think of it, what are the engine stats like? Like the RS-25 (SSME), what's the ISP and weitght and thrust like? Are they anything like the stock ones? Or should is that info available in the wiki? (sorry, didnt check it yet...)

CM

The mod is in a stable state. I'd say it's ready for release after Shadowmage tunes up the latest editions.

As for stable with other mods, that's an on going investigation. I'm having trouble between contares and this mod, but all other mods seem to work fine.

10 minutes ago, Calvin_Maclure said:

It's slightly different because the RS-25 uses LH2 rather than LiquidFuel, but once you account for the much lower density and slow boiloff I'd say the balance is reasonable compared to stock.

@Shadowmage

Here's the latest log from my latest test with the updated contares and the updated SSTUL.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0oh6jizackiyvlg/KSP.zip?dl=0

There's a null ref right at the end.
I also noticed a few things in the log when looking over it:

[ERR 21:19:18.059] PrefabParticleFX: Cannot find transform of name 'NozzleTransform'

[WRN 21:19:11.094] [Part]: PartModule TransferDialogSpawner at SSTU-SC-C-CM, index 16: index exceeds module count as defined in cfg.
Looking for TransferDialogSpawner in other indices...
[WRN 21:19:11.094] ...no TransferDialogSpawner module found on part definition. Skipping...
[LOG 21:19:12.096] 1 Engine Plume Tester loaded!

Edited by GoldForest

4 hours ago, JoseEduardo said:

they do? gotta check that out...

wasn't he working on a v2 of his project and people were asking him to make it stock?

Yes, he is, but I still use the old ones until the new ones come out. The centrifuge doesn't work and I'm not even going to try the landing base gear. But, the habs still inflate, attach properly and don't cause a problem, at least on my end. 

50 minutes ago, Calvin_Maclure said:

CM

On my end, the mod works great. It has replaced every lifter mod out there. Best way to find out about the engines and how this mod is set up is to just download it and install it. 

13 hours ago, StickyScissors said:

Has anybody had the chance to test a Falcon 9-like, single engine landing with the merlins? Seeing as how the thrust, weight etc. are intentionally fudged with this mod to bring them more in line with stock, i'd be a bit disappointed if i can't land my stages anymore, or would have to completely redesign launchers to do so.

I'd investigate myself, but downloading 1.1.2 and this mod through my slow internet is like watching a snail crawl uphill through thick tar :/

Done more than test a landing, my whole space program is based on it. Works a charm with a 2.5m Falcon-based rocket. You just need to work out a procedure to have sufficient fuel and TWR for a landing burn.

47 minutes ago, Qwarkk said:

Done more than test a landing, my whole space program is based on it. Works a charm with a 2.5m Falcon-based rocket. You just need to work out a procedure to have sufficient fuel and TWR for a landing burn.

I find when the bar gets to the 'q' in the liquidfuel bar is good enough fuel for a LKO orbit and for the first stage to return to the KSC, though, I haven't hit the pad, only the surrounding area, around a 5K radius around the pad at least in all landings. Going to SKO, haven't tested that out yet.

Edited by GoldForest

13 hours ago, GoldForest said:

@Shadowmage

Here's the latest log from my latest test with the updated contares and the updated SSTUL.

[ERR 21:19:18.059] PrefabParticleFX: Cannot find transform of name 'NozzleTransform'

[WRN 21:19:11.094] [Part]: PartModule TransferDialogSpawner at SSTU-SC-C-CM, index 16: index exceeds module count as defined in cfg.
[WRN 21:19:11.094] ...no TransferDialogSpawner module found on part definition. Skipping...

Do you have any logs of where it was throwing errors in the VAB or in-flight?

Still trying to track the problem down, but the errors in that log are not SSTU related.

Also, one thing of note for updates in general, try clearing out your Module-Manager cache when updating the mod (really, any mod);  I have had the cache cause some impossible-to-track down errors before, but clearing it out generally fixes things.

14 hours ago, chrisl said:

hey Shadowmage, just wanted to tell you, the fix you included in the recent release corrected the problem with the tank volumes.  We are somehow only get 86% of the listed volume but that's an issue we can work around.

I've got a question about the SSTU-SC-TANK-MUS-* tanks.  Is there something inherent in the SSTU code that keeps RESOURCE from working with the MUS tanks?  I tried setting up a config that includes a static RESOURCE.  When in game, looking at the part in the database, I can see the RESOURCE but the part itself doesn't have it.  It's perfectly possible its something I'm doing wrong but I can't see an issue with the config so I figured I'd check if this is something the code is intentionally doing.

Yeah, the 85% is a real-fuels thing that I never could figure out how to 'fix'.

As to adding resources to the MUS tanks; again, is this with real-fuels or the SSTUVolumeContainer? 

If Real-Fuels, then I have no idea (I don't use it, don't support it, and don't know how it works), your best bet would be to ask in the realfuels thread. 

If it is the VolumeContainer then I can probably walk you through the process (as I wrote it, do use it, and do offer support for it).

Edit:  After reviewing the github PR that you are working on, I can see what you are talking about.  Fuels added to a part through a RESOURCE block are unsupported as far as I know, the resource needs to be added to the/through the RealFuels ModuleFuelTanks, in whatever method it is that allows you to do that.  You'll have to ask around the RealFuels thread for info on how to do that, I really have no idea.

Edited by Shadowmage

13 hours ago, GoldForest said:

I updated to the new SSTUL and the problem still occurs. Going to update contares and see if that does anything.
Also, I found out it's not just the RS-68 engine having the plume problem.
It is also:
F1B but only the exhaust port and not the main nozzle
LR81 - Only exhaust port
RD-108
RD-107-A
RD-0110

I had the debug menu up and no null refs are coming up. I can't figure this out. Hopefully an update with fix it.

Sounds like you have another mod/patch that is messing with the effects improperly.

Do you have a log with the null-refs from those tests?

Also, do you have real-plume and smokescreen installed?

From the logs I'm seeing the real-plume patches get applied for SSTU (with a BEFORE[RealPlume] block), but the contares patches are being rejected from their NEEDS[SmokeScreen] block.  And it -doesn't- look like RealPlume is installed.  This very well could be causing the errors you are seeing.

If you -dont- have real-plumes installed, try installing it (both smokescreen and realplume); it might just be that the patches for these are running improperly even when RealPlume is not installed. 

Likely some patch is improperly defining a FOR[RealPlume] somewhere, triggering the rest of the effects patches to get processed improperly.  This would be an error in the other mods' config files, as they are improperly triggering SSTU's RealPlumes patches to run, which may well be the root of what you are seeing.

15 hours ago, GoldForest said:

@Shadowmage

Okay, more info;  I can confirm that this problem exists, AND that it is being caused by the Contares patches only if you don't have RealPlume installed..

The Contares patches are improperly triggering ModuleManager to -think- that real-plume is installed, which causes the SSTU-RealPlumes patches to get ran, which results in the engines no longer being linked to run the stock effects, which causes the effects to run all the time.

To fix the problem you will need to:

1.) Submit a bug-report to Contares to tell them to fix their patches;  They should not use  FOR block unless they ARE that mod; their real-plumes patches need to be ran in a BEFORE block, or some other method, that does not rely on a FOR[RealPlumes].  This is not a problem that I can solve; their patches are just wrong.  Anytime a mod uses a FOR block on a patch, it triggers module manager into thinking that the mod in that block is installed; which can cause other patches to run even when they shouldn't.  The proper method is to run their patches in a BEFORE[RealPlume]:NEEDS[RealPlume] type setup; this ensures that the patches only get ran when RealPlume is installed (the NEEDS part), and ensures that they get ran at the right point in time/right order (the BEFORE part).

2.) Install smokescreen and realplume to fix the problem until Contares can update their patches.

3.) After Contares has fixed their patches you can remove smokescreen/realplume if you don't want them.

@blowfish  is the one who pointed this out to me originally, as SSTU was causing the same problem for other mods.  Changing the FOR[RealPlume] to a BEFORE[RealPlume] on SSTU's patches fixed the problem with other mods.

Edited by Shadowmage

6 hours ago, Qwarkk said:

Awesome! And with any luck, my already operational Falcon-9-alike launcher series, Moskva, will only need minimal modification.

That new cargo truss is going to be very useful. I've already used it to make drop ships for rovers, a Duna mission platform with a ascent/descent vehicle docked in the truss. This is exactly what the name needed: A very useful construction element which actually works fantastic. I cannot wait until it gets textured and Shadowmage magic added to them. Bravo, sir!

5 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

Yeah, the 85% is a real-fuels thing that I never could figure out how to 'fix'.

As to adding resources to the MUS tanks; again, is this with real-fuels or the SSTUVolumeContainer? 

If Real-Fuels, then I have no idea (I don't use it, don't support it, and don't know how it works), your best bet would be to ask in the realfuels thread. 

If it is the VolumeContainer then I can probably walk you through the process (as I wrote it, do use it, and do offer support for it).

Edit:  After reviewing the github PR that you are working on, I can see what you are talking about.  Fuels added to a part through a RESOURCE block are unsupported as far as I know, the resource needs to be added to the/through the RealFuels ModuleFuelTanks, in whatever method it is that allows you to do that.  You'll have to ask around the RealFuels thread for info on how to do that, I really have no idea.

I don't think the RESOURCE thing I'm encountering is due to RealFuels.  RF has a number of locations where a static RESOURCE block is used.  I was even told by NathanKell to use a RESOURCE block along side ModuleFuelTanks if I wanted to add a Hydrazine tank to a MFT that can't support Hydrazine.  If you look at the PR I've been working on, look at the ICPS and HUS (part of the SLS_Upper_Stages.cfg).  Both of those have an added RESOURCE block which works fine.  Not saying this isn't related to another mod.  Just figured I'd make sure that the SSTUCustomUpperStage module isn't blocking RESOURCE for some reason.

8 minutes ago, ComatoseJedi said:

That new cargo truss is going to be very useful. I've already used it to make drop ships for rovers, a Duna mission platform with a ascent/descent vehicle docked in the truss. This is exactly what the name needed: A very useful construction element which actually works fantastic. I cannot wait until it gets textured and Shadowmage magic added to them. Bravo, sir!

Radial engines would come in handy for dropping rovers :)

8 minutes ago, chrisl said:

I don't think the RESOURCE thing I'm encountering is due to RealFuels.  RF has a number of locations where a static RESOURCE block is used.  I was even told by NathanKell to use a RESOURCE block along side ModuleFuelTanks if I wanted to add a Hydrazine tank to a MFT that can't support Hydrazine.  If you look at the PR I've been working on, look at the ICPS and HUS (part of the SLS_Upper_Stages.cfg).  Both of those have an added RESOURCE block which works fine.  Not saying this isn't related to another mod.  Just figured I'd make sure that the SSTUCustomUpperStage module isn't blocking RESOURCE for some reason.

Thanks for the info; I was not aware RealFuels was compatible with base resources in the part.

I'll take a look over the code to make sure the CustomUppperStage module isn't deleting/clearing out resources; it very well might be, and that would explain what you are seeing.

Didn't say thank you in a long time for this mod. You don't stop to amaze us.

On a side note/question: back in 1.0.5 we had the option to choose the number of side panels of the SM fairings. Did this become deprecated?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.