[WIP][1.8.x] SSTULabs - Low Part Count Solutions (Orbiters, Landers, Lifters) - Dev Thread [11-18-18]

Shadowmage

29 minutes ago, Jimbodiah said:

MrMeeb, awesome video (coop). What shuttle mod is that? It's the only thing I have not been able to make fly properly.  Just found your mods ;)

15 minutes ago, RedParadize said:

Thats nice!

Is the parachute cap a part or a ModuleJettison thingy ?

Yes and no.

As you know, I use custom plugins for nearly everything; so no, it won't be ModuleJettison (which is for stock engine fairings, and full of bugs/problems).

Yes, it is a parachute 'cap'.  I am in the process of writing a custom parachute module which will be responsible for jettisoning the cap when parachutes are deployed.

The parachute module that I'm writing is a modular-part/model setup, similar to my more recent parts.  It allows for specifying the parachute setup completely in the part.cfg file -- no messing around with Unity animations or all the pain that they bring.  Simply specify the parachute model to be used, and the scaling/rotation offset to use for each deployment status (retracted/semi/full/cut). It includes capability for separately deployed drogue + main chutes, and supports multiple parachute canopies with physical separation of canopies (unlike stock where they all clip into each-other).  Oh, and it actually does the drag-cubes properly for multiple parachute types (again, unlike the stock parachute module.. which cannot support complex drag-cube setups).  Hoping to have this wrapped up in the next day or two, still leaving time to finish off the models+textures needed for these parts (but as you can see, I'm already poking around at the models a bit when I have time...).

And, WIP geometry/models of some of the upcoming RCS blocks (Upper-stage on top, aero-blister type in middle, ullage motor on the bottom) - Not done yet are the 'standard' type blocks (replacement for existing ones, but better geo/textures):

DDRSWFh.png

Meh, the VA-TKS is indeed a intresting design, specialy the BSO, but its incomplete. As far as I know, all VA capsule were lunched with a TKS module and unmanned, never on its own. I never saw how a solo VA would dock to a station. I can only asume that it would require extra module with a docking attached under its sheild. I don't think they ever planned to use the VA as a taxi.

51 minutes ago, RedParadize said:

Meh, the VA-TKS is indeed a intresting design, specialy the BSO, but its incomplete. As far as I know, all VA capsule were lunched with a TKS module and unmanned, never on its own. I never saw how a solo VA would dock to a station. I can only asume that it would require extra module with a docking attached under its sheild. I don't think they ever planned to use the VA as a taxi.

it was more of a shuttle role, as it had within the TKS body a lot of supplies intended for the military Almaz station

but recently they had two plans for the VA pod, this: http://www.b14643.de/Spacerockets_1/East_Europe_2/Angara/PPTS/TKS.htm

and this: http://www.space.com/16373-private-spaceflight-excalibur-almaz-photos.html

IIRC they also planned on using the VA pod as part of a moon lander to be launched on top of the UR-700

Indeed. But if the plan is to fill the gap between 1.25 and 2.50 with a 1.875 capsule, and end up having to strap a 2.5m and 17 tons FSB/TKS behind that capsule. It kinda miss the point.

Thanks allot for your link, I never saw anything like this. That Docking module looks like what I had in mind, exept that it seem to have extra fuel and engine. It feel a bit suboptimal to separate de-orbit engine of the docking/service module, both need to be de-orbit after all. Still, that sould fit the 1.875 "taxi" role.

10 hours ago, RedParadize said:

Indeed. But if the plan is to fill the gap between 1.25 and 2.50 with a 1.875 capsule, and end up having to strap a 2.5m and 17 tons FSB/TKS behind that capsule. It kinda miss the point.

Thanks allot for your link, I never saw anything like this. That Docking module looks like what I had in mind, exept that it seem to have extra fuel and engine. It feel a bit suboptimal to separate de-orbit engine of the docking/service module, both need to be de-orbit after all. Still, that sould fit the 1.875 "taxi" role.

either that or a rescalled Apollo, Orion or even a Gemini-like or rescaled Apollo from Eyes Turned Skywards SM could fill the role for the 1.875m "taxi", the reason I suggested VA+TKS is because the pod itself could be used at 1.875m with a custom SM and the TKS body could be later re-used for Mir-inspired station modules, changing the VA adapter with something else to make a custom russian module :)

6 hours ago, BrutalRIP said:

just wondering what the mod is in this pic?

4yTmG31.jpg?1

Shadowmage said he modified this image to demonstrate what he had in mind for the GUI he's planning for KSP 1.1

EDIT: something I just thought on the VA pod at 1.875, for career purposes the VA could be unlocked around the same tier you unlock a SM for it, and if the Mir-based modules come to life the TKS body could be unlocked only later on bundled with the modules, or maybe a tier before, as a "preparation" for the station modules

this isn't RO to have it historicaly accurate :)

Edited by JoseEduardo

On Sunday, December 06, 2015 4:59:38, Jimbodiah said:

aaawwww :(   I'm destined to never fly a shuttle :(

Maaaage!!! D-Series? :sticktongue:

Series-D, -if- it goes anywhere, would simply be a replacement for the stock M1 pod, with built in parachutes/rcs/etc, with a stylized service module specially built for it.  It won't replace the mk1 for your first few career flights, but would be unlocked on like t3 of the research tree (where the 1.875m would be on t4/t5 likely).  Haven't even scheduled this one yet, as I'm unsure if I want to progress the concept; seems likely, but won't know for a while yet.

13 hours ago, RedParadize said:

I probably will be going with a 'pod' design for the 1.875m, so likely either VA or a rescaled Apollo/Orion.  No, it won't have a big station butt attached to it, but it will have a special purpose built (1.875m) service module.  Will investigate station uses when I get there (though, will consider it a bit during pod design, as it might influence a few things).  It likely won't have a big reto-motor thing stuck on the front either; that is one of the bits of Gemini/etc that I dislike; so whatever  pod I do, it will -not- have that sort of setup -- it will terminate at a standard docking port, and will likely include a LAS/BPC shaped specifically for it.

9 hours ago, BrutalRIP said:

just wondering what the mod is in this pic?

4yTmG31.jpg?1

Prototype/concept development of the upcoming GUI reworks for 1.1.  Didn't think I was going to stick with the stock right-click menus forever did you ? :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.