is MechJeb broken?

Xyphos

I just installed MechJeb

(again, even if I think its cheating to have autopilot)

I wanted it just for the SMART A.S.S. portion while I tested a new SSTO spaceplane.

however, whenever I enable MJ, it insists on flying the plane upside down, and then pulling up, crashing it into the water, no matter how I orient the command pod.

anyone know why?

---UPDATE---

NEVER MIND, I AM A TOTAL DILLHOLE.

besides MJ, I also added some parts that moved my CoM without my notice, the plane was rolling over due to the CoL being too low.

Edited by Xyphos

I never fly planes or land using MJ as it's not foolproof (it had some problems back in 0.23 or so and I haven't used those features since) but there should be an option to hold bearing/rotation in Smart ASS and if you set the rotation to 0 it should try to hold it like that. Does the problem persist for other planes?

(again, even if I think its cheating to have autopilot)

It isn't, it's unrealistic to not have it.

In truth, mechjeb needs a MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR overhaul. It has been getting wonkier and wonkier. I as well as my family have used it since .21 and when .90 hit things just started to circle the drain with it. It has issues that need to be fixed but seem ignored. But if you kid glove it it should work. I dont use the S.ass feature myself but id wager putting MJ on the roof may help.

oh and if autopilots cheating then comparing to irl things, nasa, esa, jaxa, roscosmos, space x, and the guys who make cygnus as well as ALL modern pilots must be cheating..... Just sayin man

Edited by Higgs

In truth, mechjeb needs a MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR overhaul. It has been getting wonkier and wonkier. I as well as my family have used it since .21 and when .90 hit things just started to circle the drain with it. It has issues that need to be fixed but seem ignored. But if you kid glove it it should work. I dont use the S.ass feature myself but id wager putting MJ on the roof may help.

Orientation of the part is irrelevant if there is some other control part (afaik MJ part can be used to control a craft without using any cores).