[1.1.3] Kerbal Animation Suite

MrHappyFace

The orange keyframe is the currently selected one. If there is no selected one, either create a keyframe if there are none, or click on the blue one you want to animate. After you've selected a keyframe, just pose the kerbal and deselect the keyframe (click it again) when you're done.

It's not the most intuitive system, but it works. :P

The orange keyframe is the currently selected one. If there is no selected one, either create a keyframe if there are none, or click on the blue one you want to animate. After you've selected a keyframe, just pose the kerbal and deselect the keyframe (click it again) when you're done.

Oh, I think I've been doing it wrong then. Thanks for the clear up. :)

Wait, what? I click the orange marker to deselect it, but it takes the whole timeline for the Kerbal to do the action!

Wait, what? I click the orange marker to deselect it, but it takes the whole timeline for the Kerbal to do the action!

Do you mean that the kerbal doesn't move throughout the animation? You need at least 2 keyframes for there to be any movement at all.

Either way, it's supposed to take the entire timeline for the animation to play, thats what the timeline is for. If you want to make the animation shorter, edit the duration in the Properties window.

I'm not sure what you do, but this is generally what I do when I need to make an animation:

1. Open the animation suite.
  2. Before posing, immediately create 2 keyframes at the beginning an end of the timeline. This way, the kerbal will smoothly transition from and to their regualr pose.
  3. Then, create a keyframe somewhere in between those 2 keyframes, and pose.
  4. Play animation.

Keep in mind that to create a keyframe, you:

1. deselect the selected keyframe (if there is one)
  2. drag the timeline to where you want the new keyframe
  3. Click the Add Keyframe button
  4. Pose kerbal
  5. Deselect the recently added keyframe to save it

Do you mean that the kerbal doesn't move throughout the animation? You need at least 2 keyframes for there to be any movement at all.

Either way, it's supposed to take the entire timeline for the animation to play, thats what the timeline is for. If you want to make the animation shorter, edit the duration in the Properties window.

I'm not sure what you do, but this is generally what I do when I need to make an animation:

2. Before posing, immediately create 2 keyframes at the beginning an end of the timeline. This way, the kerbal will smoothly transition from and to their regualr pose.
  4. Play animation.

4. Pose kerbal

He does move, but even though the second keyframe is closer to the start, it still takes the whole animation timeline for him to do the pose. Is there meant to be a keyframe at the end?

4. Play animation.

4. Pose kerbal

Thank you! I figured it out now! :D Also, do separate limb animations have to be on separate layers?

Oh, ok. I saw a guy on youtube make a cinematic and the head and eyes were completely fine though.

Sometimes it works, and other times it doesn't. :P

That makes it difficult to fix, and even more difficult to see if said fixes work. Personally, I've only seen it once, but other people, like you, see it regularly. My theory is that it's caused by the expression system that makes kerbals scream, smile, etc, but it's very difficult to verify.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm curious. I have been having issues trying to make an animation from scratch. All the scenes become duplicated as I go. But if I load an existing animation and then save that under a new name. It works great. Anybody else experiencing this? Granted I am using Animation suite on 1.0.5 so this may be the whole issue. Otherwise I love this mod! Hopefully I'll be using this heavily in my next video.

• 1 month later...

@MrHappyFace - Can you clarify your license position on this mod?  There nothing in the first post mentioning license (moderators are getting slack in checking that ;)), but I do see a license.txt in your GitHub (that states GPL 3.0).

Is the intention that the API code is covered that as well?  I ask because that makes it extremely difficult for me to potentially use it in Contract Configurator, which is licensed MIT (I'd have to re-license the whole project under the GPL).  I don't even have the option to isolate it into its own DLL that I would under the LGPL).

Would you be willing to have the "main" parts of the program under the GPL, but have the API portion under a something that is more friendly to inclusion in other projects (MIT, public domain, etc.)?

@nightingale, I edited the forum post and license.txt on github to add a line stating that the API code is in the public domain. I hope that's enough, I never intended for people to be unable to use the API. Sorry for the inconvenience, I'm not too great at this licensing stuff, so I normally just put my stuff under GPL. :P

No problem, I figured the intention wasn't to have barriers to using it, so thought I'd ask.  Got a little side project on the go that makes use of some stuff made with Kerbal Animation Suite, I'll toss a link and credit your way when it's done. :)

I want to mention as well that I'm planning on using Kerbal Animation Suite in my next big project. Not sure when it will be finished but many thanks for creating such a useful cinematic mod. Credit will be given where credit is due :)

I think we need to start sharing the animation files with each other and start building a Kerbal animation library for everyone to use. What do you think, guys?

Edited by Enceos

2 hours ago, Enceos said:

I think we need to start sharing the animation files with each other and start building a Kerbal animation library for everyone to use. What do you think, guys?

I'm all for it, but a limitation might be. People will start asking for a gif or video so they can see it before they download it. Which is a ton of work and why probably no one has suggested it yet. But if everybody was just interested in a short description like "golf swing" or "air guitar" then I think this could work. The other issue I noticed is if I make an animation in one computer then try and move it, it can get nerfed.

3 minutes ago, V8jester said:

I'm all for it, but a limitation might be. People will start asking for a gif or video so they can see it before they download it. Which is a ton of work and why probably no one has suggested it yet. But if everybody was just interested in a short description like "golf swing" or "air guitar" then I think this could work. The other issue I noticed is if I make an animation in one computer then try and move it, it can get nerfed.

Making gifs is quite easy, for me at least, I may start a separate supporting thread for animations. Animations working differently on different computers is another issue. I know that male and female kerbal skeletons are slightly different and have different bone names. Would you please send me a PM with any of your animations, I'd like to see if this sharing is at all possible.

On 18/03/2016 at 9:25 PM, Enceos said:

I like that idea.

What license would the animations come under though?

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.