Reinforce an in-line joint on convex parts against pulling stress

My "Claymore" has a critical flaw.

2015-08-08_00005.jpg

That tip where it grips the asteroid. There's MK3 to 2.5m adapter, then 2.5 to 1.25 adapter, and the Klaw.

And when running at full power at 4x warp, the connection between the MK3-2.5 and 2.5-1.25 adapters fails. It's the weakest point - the Klaw is very strong, and MK3 connections were vastly improved in 1.0.4, but that one is still weak and carries the whole stress of the asteroid against 4000kN of force.

Additionally, the MK3 to 2.5m adapter is convex so trying to pull a strut from the other one ends up with the strut ending short of the joint. So, any smart methods how to do it?

(and I know the easiest answer is "don't use 4x phys warp", but I'd prefer something faster - last time I captured a Class E and brought it into LKO, it took me a week.)

Sal's suggestion is excellent. Please report back with your results. The same trick works with the mighty all-purpose Cubic Octagonal Strut (praise be its name) but the hardpoint Sal suggests is much better looking.

Sal's suggestion is excellent. Please report back with your results. The same trick works with the mighty all-purpose Cubic Octagonal Strut (praise be its name) but the hardpoint Sal suggests is much better looking.

Cubic octagonal strut's attachment is actually quite weak. Remember we're talking about a force that literally rips the craft apart, and not by bending or shearing but by pure pulling!

It's not pretty though, you have to admit that, which is why I went for the hardpoints.

Also I find the cubic struts are Kraken bait, so I use other parts such as empty Oscar-B tanks where I used to use cubic struts now.

Regardless of what you use for extra structural support, I think that the 4x warp under acceleration is part of the problem. I have noticed that certain parts fail in tension under warp while accelerating that otherwise wouldn't without warping. I know it's annoying moving asteroids without warp, but if you can be patient, you'll find things will fail less often.

-mpk

Pull your far part away with the translation tool. Attach your struts from your close part to the far part. Translate it back. The strut will clip through the parts between.

That's how I strut between wing sections, which otherwise doesn't work very well.

I don't suppose you've tried turning the motors around and making it a pusher instead of a puller?

BAD idea.

It works well with nukes or other weak thrust engines on a very short arm relative to the surface, where rigidity of the Klaw can overcome the twisting force. In this case it's twenty seconds from burn start until breaking the joint and sending the asteroid spinning.

Well, that sounds much more fun! But I suppose that would probably not be conducive to getting your asteroid home...

I guess I just don't have experience using those enormous engines in space - I go for the conservative minimalist builds. So did Sal's suggestion work for you?

I think I'll go with Pincushionman's or Ajburges' ones. Still need to get to it. Installing the struts will be a minute of work. Getting the craft from VAB to docked to the asteroid - probably more than an hour.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.