THE TEST: Are you good enough?

That really doesn't fit into the theme of this challenge and kinda violates the "no preparation" rule.

Unrelatedly, I've actually written a Ti-84 program to do those calculations, and it's proven incredibly handy.

Mythbusters844,

If that's the case then I can't do this and wouldn't be inclined to try. I never fly missions I haven't planned out first and I never build stages I haven't thoroughly engineered beforehand. I consider that approach to be recklessly irresponsible to the safety of my Kerbonauts, and their safety is my #1 priority. YMMV.

Best,

-Slashy

Too easy?

Try Career Mode then :)

One shot from new, no reloads, no mods, first launch off the pad to land on the Mun and get back safely.

You'll probably need to collect some science before you go, so "launches" that don't get airborne don't count as the first launch.

Yes, it can be done :)

Kerbal Engineer to calculate delta V during construction should be ok, since manual calculations are not much fun. But no Kerbal Engineer for flight, since Kerbal Engineer Redux does not work in career mode until you get much further in the game.

That really doesn't fit into the theme of this challenge and kinda violates the "no preparation" rule.

How does designing a rocket with basic delta V and thrust calculations not fit into the theme of the challenge? This is Rocket Science. In real life, you don't run simulations, (well you might run a couple to double check everything) you run calculations. You run worst-case-scenario calculations, and you make it viable even then. In Kerbal Space Program, through time, you get good at running those calculations in your head. Sure, you might not know if you are stocking 1600 dv or 1700 dv, but you know roughly what fuel and engines can accomplish what, with time. That is the same thing as actually doing the calculations, except you are doing them on paper, as opposed to in your head.

If anything, I might say utilizing notepad, a piece of paper, or a calculator to assist in those calculations is against the rules. Try ACTUALLY RUNNING dv calculations in your head. The ONLY tricky part, is the natural logarithm. I think I'll try this challenge, after some review on how to do logarithms without a calculator. It's really not that hard. Just have to memorize a couple of numbers... that's all.

Dangit. I am disappointed in myself. I over-designed way too much, the ship catastrophically failed at launch, and I still managed to get to moon the OK. I failed when I forgot how to land on the moon. Second time around I launched perfectly, landed on the moon perfectly, and returned home saftely all in one trip, but... damn, haven't been to the moon in forever. I bet you I could, however, complete the challenge to Duna in one attempt.

If you can do it: you are proficient.
That's hilarious. Anyone have a delta-V/TWR spreadsheet I can bum? I don't have the stock parts memorized... E: Never mind, I just made one. Edited by regex

I stayed up way too late doing this. Here's my go. Had to fly the entire launch without SAS because stock KSP is stupidly wobbly. I also forgot to refill the lander main tank after calculating the delta-V but that wasn't a huge problem because the service module had a ridiculous amount of fuel. I did, however, forget the parachutes. vOv No way I'm subjecting myself to that torture again. Far as I'm concerned, I'm "proficient".

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I stayed up way too late doing this. Here's my go. Had to fly the entire launch without SAS because stock KSP is stupidly wobbly. I also forgot to refill the lander main tank after calculating the delta-V but that wasn't a huge problem because the service module had a ridiculous amount of fuel. I did, however, forget the parachutes. vOv No way I'm subjecting myself to that torture again. Far as I'm concerned, I'm "proficient".

http://imgur.com/a/ebx9l

yeah I was looking at your IMGUR album going, theres no parachutes on that thing!

- - - Updated - - -

I did a thing.

http://youtu.be/d3fJupcb0s4

(Splash Screen may or may not be from the actual attempt)

Hmmmm, no heat shield, could have saved yourself some dV

...by bringing a heat shield?

And I wasn't really thinking in terms of "dV." I was thinking in terms of "big rocket go high fast."

It's just I was watching you burn off speed in the atmosphere and thought, could have just used a heatsheild rather than engine and tank, but it was probably just leftovers anyway.

It's just I was watching you burn off speed in the atmosphere and thought, could have just used a heatsheild rather than engine and tank, but it was probably just leftovers anyway.

Ah yeah. I was sure that the engine and tank by themselves would be enough to aerobrake from Mun. Probably just the capsule would have been fine but I was bringing those home anyway. Really didn't even need the decoupler when all is said and done but, barely any dV cost and when you only get one shot, may as well err on the side of caution.

2 minutes and 8 seconds, but it's done in some old version, featuring Scott Manley's failed troll attempt in the comments.

You've shared that video around here a few times that I recall, it's still impressive every time I see it. Never gets old.

I bet that same design would still work in 1.0.x.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, so I had a go at the challenge. While successful, I messed up a couple of times. While taking off I pushed the craft a bit too far off prograde and it flipped out on me. It wasn't fatal fortunately, and I had plenty of fuel to carry on to orbit. Really glad I added RCS, otherwise I probably wouldn't have got it pointing the right way again.

I think I've been spending too much time on Minmus, as I wasn't controlling the Jeb's RCS very well in the higher gravity. He had a bit of a problem getting back into the capsule on the Mun, and even managed to break one of the solar panels. Part of the issue was that the ladder rungs I added were too far away from the capsule, so he kept falling off at the top.

Here is the video:

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.