When you first began KSP what gave you the most difficulty?

JackBush

Landing on the Mun in the demo was the first big challenge I faced. Once I mastered that (without having discovered quicksaves, so it cost me a LOT of Kerbals) I slammed my head on the keyboard for a few days trying to master orbital rendezvous. When I finally got that to work semi-reliably, I decided that I liked the game enough to buy the full version. No regrets. :)

When you first began KSP wheat gave you the most difficulty?

Erm, no, "wheat" did not give me the most difficulty. :P That would be Minecraft.

What gave me the most difficulty was learning to fly with the Navball. I managed to land and return from Mun without using it, but once I'd learned how to use it most things were a piece of cake.

I don't think I had many at the beginning. Maybe associating qweasd with the direction they would rotate the rocket, but that was never that hard. Of course, I started playing back in .13.3, so there wasn't really that much to worry about. The things which gave me the most difficulty came far later.

Figuring how the navball and its markings. Once I figured that out, the game was much more playable. :)

That's good to know. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks everyone. Very helpful.

- - - Updated - - -

Erm, no, "wheat" did not give me the most difficulty. :P That would be Minecraft.

What gave me the most difficulty was learning to fly with the Navball. I managed to land and return from Mun without using it, but once I'd learned how to use it most things were a piece of cake.

"Wheat". Yes, sorry about the mis-type. I pride myself on my accurazy.

funnily enough, I managed to get something in a (obviously) highly elliptical orbit after many, many attempts (this was before I realised there was an orbital tutorial or something called 'youtube videos' or the awesome mr Manley).

I soon realized, if you don't know the basics, the hardest part is actually de-orbiting :P

'Ahyeah freaking space' I thought, made a few orbits, then decided to try re-entry... however, pointing your ship towards Kerbin and going full throttle doesn't really work,.... hehehe

Thus, my hardest part.. deorbiting after you force/luck your way into orbit :)

PS: as soon as I realized, I wan't even getting close to returning home, I watched a few vids and boy were those eye openers :P

Now everything about space, gravity, thrust, etc, all makes sense. and as many before me on this forum have said, I cringe whenever I play something space related where all goes from A to B and just 'sits' there :P

In general, the most difficult part was figuring the whole twr/dv deal. I was building stuff that was excessively overthrusted, and/or severely short ranged, or stuff that wouldn't even lift off, and couldn't figure out why. Then came a lot of reading, and later KER.

Other noobness: once i clicked the iva button, and couldn't come out of iva. I didn't know what struts were for. Same for fuel lines. Until last week i didn't know i could limit SRB thrust. That made me fall in love with them all over again.

I'm gluten-intolerant, so yeah wheat gives me trouble. I'm also lactose intolerant. Which is problematic since I dropped a saw on my foot and cut off a couple of digits a few years back. I also can't eat dairy.

But more seriously, docking. Did it once myself. Now MechJeb does it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.