KSP Coming to XBOX ONE: Discuss

Hobbes Novakoff

Look, At the end of the day, Squad is here to make money. In fact, we're all here to make money. It's the only way to survive in this day and age.

There's a lot of ways to make money. You can make money the EA way, by ripping off your customers or you can make money the Squad way by making a great game. I just hope the latter doesn't slowly shift into the former.

So lets add another platform to the mix, how much development time is wasted porting to the PS4 and Xbox 1 when the PC Mac and Linux people really dont have a polished version.

So far it is even benefiting development of the PC/Mac/Linux versions of KSP. The developers at Flying Tiger have been working with us to port the game to Unity 5, cutting the time needed to do the update significantly. The ports to PS4 and Xbone are then done by Flying Tiger, so in theory shouldn't affect development of the current platforms either. Of course, they made need occasional help or some explanation of code, but that shouldn't have any significant impact.

Edited by KasperVld

It doesn't interest me directly, but a few possible benefits I can think of. Making the big assumption that Flying Tiger do a good job, and that improvements from the console version make it back into the PC version, I expect

Better performance on all platforms. The PS4 and XBone don't have masses of CPU power, so the game will need to run well on what they have. Even with the possibility of a hard parts cap on console to keep lag under control there, the unshackled PC version should get a boost too.

A more feature-rich and higher-quality stock game, since modding will be more limited on console.

Good gamepad controls, that can be an option on PC too. With the PS4 Flying Tiger might have taken the lazy way out and over-relied on the PS4 pad's touchpad, but that's not an option on the XBone. I'm absolutely confident that both building and flight can be made excellent with a controller (though that doesn't mean Flying Tiger will make them excellent!) And frankly the keyboard and mouse are rubbish for KSP. We have to build vehicles in three dimensions using a cursor that moves in two, then fly them with controls limited to straight on or full lock.

Fewer bugs, with any luck. Console players are I believe less tolerant of them.

Since the current KSP code is more or less being reworked completely, how can they work on porting it? Seems it'd be better to port it to U5 and then work on console ports.

My burning question is how it will work on a Steam machine. I could use an upgrade, and am weighing the pros & cons of Steam machine vs. new gaming rig. Since it's literally thousands of dollars difference, I'm eyeing the Steam machines pretty hard.

Isn't a Steam Machine just a PC with the Steam OS that can be switched for Windows/Mac OS anyway? How can it be cheaper?

Since the current KSP code is more or less being reworked completely, how can they work on porting it? Seems it'd be better to port it to U5 and then work on console ports.

Isn't a Steam Machine just a PC with the Steam OS that can be switched for Windows/Mac OS anyway? How can it be cheaper?

By throwing in worse parts.Alienwares for example aren't exactly great machines.

As for why the port and the rework at the same time? It allows the porting company to actually aid in the rework theres a good chance that flyingtiger is actually resposible for redoing the controler code etc.

It isn't, not buy much. A Steam Machine will cost around the same as a gaming PC that offers similar performance. Comparing a £500 Steam Machine with a £5000 "dream PC" is like comparing a Ford Ka with a BMW 7-Series.

did you even read kaspervids post on the same page as yours? It basically sounds like the flying tiger devs have helped porting it to unity 5 so they can port it.

It isn't, not buy much. A Steam Machine will cost around the same as a gaming PC that offers similar performance. Comparing a £500 Steam Machine with a £5000 "dream PC" is like comparing a Ford Ka with a BMW 7-Series.

Yes, but if all you're looking for is something to get you down the road, you've got to really wonder if the BMW is worth it. The main difference I've seen comparing Steam machines to a gaming PC is the really crappy hard drive used in the Steam machines, and there is no disc drive. I've been running my current Alienware system for 5 years now (which was the warranty replacement for the XPS system I bought in 2007). I know people like to slag on them, but only in the last 6 months have I encountered games it struggles with. So what I'm trying to figure out is do I trade in that Ford every couple of years, or bite the bullet and get the BMW that will last for 5 (actually 8 years due to the warranty replacement).

Edited by ArmchairGravy

Yes, but if all you're looking for is something to get you down the road, you've got to really wonder if the BMW is worth it. The main difference I've seen comparing Steam machines to a gaming PC is the really crappy hard drive used in the Steam machines, and there is no disc drive. I've been running my current Alienware system for 5 years now (which was the warranty replacement for the XPS system I bought in 2007). I know people like to slag on them, but only in the last 6 months have I encountered games it struggles with. So what I'm trying to figure out is do I trade in that Ford every couple of years, or bite the bullet and get the BMW that will last for 5 (actually 8 years due to the warranty replacement).

There is nothing majorly wrong with Alienware other than overpaying for the hardware. But there are plenty of people who are unwilling or unable to scratch build a rig.

And frankly the keyboard and mouse are rubbish for KSP. We have to build vehicles in three dimensions using a cursor that moves in two, then fly them with controls limited to straight on or full lock.

That's an interesting perspective. I have sort of thought of it, but never formalized the words, if that makes any sense. When using my Keyboard for control, I get over the control problem by tapping the keys to control how much they're moving. As for the mouse, I suppose it makes sense only because we as computer users are so accustomed to the mouse. It would be hard to re-learn something as fundamental as the mouse, and indeed it is. If you've ever tried using a 3D mouse, it requires a lot more practice. (if P=practice for Mouse and T=Three-Dimensional mouse practice, then T=(Sqrt(P))^3, I would imagine.) I would like to keep using the mouse, but they never fixed the 3D mouse support for 1.0. (Kind of strange that they put it in in 0.24 and it broke shortly after, only for them to never fix it. It would be great if they fixed 3D mouse support so that it doesn't lock VAB controls when you use it.)

List of other devices KSP should be ported to:

Android

Android

iOS

Tracfone

TI-84 Plus

Wii U

NES

Apollo Guidance Computer

X-Box 360

Playstation 2

A Minecraft redstone computer

Browser-based Unity

Nintendo 3DS

A mechanical Turing Machine

A cluster of Babbage Engines

Microsoft HoloLens

Linux 128-bit

The Universe

GameBoy

GameBoy Advance

Tiger Handheld Game (The cheap little handheld toy videogames)

Tiger Wrist-Game

The Holodeck

A computer powered by interacting Sims from The Sims games.

The Brain of a Rat.

Edited by GregroxMun

List of other devices KSP should be ported to:

Android

Android

iOS

Tracfone

TI-84 Plus

Wii U

NES

Apollo Guidance Computer

X-Box 360

Playstation 2

A Minecraft redstone computer

Browser-based Unity

Nintendo 3DS

A mechanical Turing Machine

A cluster of Babbage Engines

Microsoft HoloLens

Linux 128-bit

The Universe

GameBoy

GameBoy Advance

Tiger Handheld Game (The cheap little handheld toy videogames)

Tiger Wrist-Game

The Holodeck

A computer powered by interacting Sims from The Sims games.

The Brain of a Rat.

Y no GameBoy Colour??? I gonna whine like heck! :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.