Consolidated B-24 Liberator

Do YOU want to roam imposingly around the skies at the speed of 2 frames per second. Though this latest replica has no functioning bombs the sight of its 1000 parts is enough to melt the brains of your opponents.

Presenting the Consolidated B-24 Liberator which can be downloaded (at your own risk) here

fEUYU5B.png

o3Sv7At.png

Whoa, the only bad part about it is the fact that it's a B-24 Liberator and not the almighty Flying Fortress.

The joke that Fortress pilots said about the liberator went like this: "The Liberator is actually the crate that the B-17 was shipped in."

EDIT: Oh yeah, you seem to have forgotten the waist guns and ball turret.

Whoa, the only bad part about it is the fact that it's a B-24 Liberator and not the almighty Flying Fortress.

The joke that Fortress pilots said about the liberator went like this: "The Liberator is actually the crate that the B-17 was shipped in."

Oh yeah, you seem to have forgotten the waist guns and ball turret.

I would've done the b 17 but someone did it already. In terms of additional guns and turrets I was considering them but my part count was so high the game was crashing a bunch so I decided not to tempt the kraken further.

UbiZor welding mod, man. Works wonders.

I tried it once with a station I was working on but it kept messing up the rotation and clipping, haven't gone back since ):

Still, looks.. So.. smooth! I love it! Especially that shape!

Why thank you (:

I have not tested this yet, but I am going to, it may fry my computer, I don't care.

RiP computer

Delivering freedom! In style!

Indeed !

Hey man,

I would love to test this for you but I cannot download it. I just get a dropbox error..

Error (5xx)

Something went wrong. Don't worry, your files are still safe and the Dropboxers have been notified. Check out our Help Center and forums for help, or head back to home.

EDIT, Ok its working now, took 10 attempts though.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok I tested it...

I got around 10 FPS sitting on the runway. The thing is, well perhaps its better if I show you..

14dg1p4.jpg

It looks like a tired pigeon with its wings all droopy like that. :D So More struts are needed there matey.

Ok I then proceeded to attempt flight. What came next can only be described as the most extraordinary slide show I have ever witnessed.

The aircraft at first did nothing. The engines spooled up and it just sat there. Then the wings started to move back and forward and the engines tilted downwards. This movement became more and more furious until the joints couldn't take it any more and it, at 5 FPS it shook itself apart exploding where it sat..

See here:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I don't know what to say man, it looked great in the SPH (z fighting aside) but that's not enough. I don't know if the craft file got corrupted or what but this as it is, is unflyable.

Edited by Majorjim

We did it Guys !!! 1 whole star............... woo..........

http://imgur.com/a/1Mm9A

I don't know what to say man, it looked great in the SPH (z fighting aside) but that's not enough. I don't know if the craft file got corrupted or what but this as it is, is unflyable.

yeah as with all my replicas Kerbal Joint Reinforcement is highly recommended.

We did it Guys !!! 1 whole star............... woo..........

yeah as with all my replicas Kerbal Joint Reinforcement is highly recommended.

Is that how you took the pics of it flying? It cannot be flown as stock man, it explodes every time.

Edited by Majorjim

Is that how you took the pics of it flying? It cannot be flown as sock man, it explodes every time..

Yes. My replicas though stock craft pretty much all require kerbal joint reinforcement or additional struts particularly the large ones

Would you be so kind and upload a version with all those Oscar-B tanks emptied? That's an enormous amount of unused oxidizer (and probably too much liquid fuel too). But because there are so many of them, I don't feel like doing it for you ;-)

Would you be so kind and upload a version with all those Oscar-B tanks emptied? That's an enormous amount of unused oxidizer (and probably too much liquid fuel too). But because there are so many of them, I don't feel like doing it for you ;-)

Not saying you should do it for him, but couldn't you do it with a simple text replace, and then add some fuel in the SPH for flight, actually three text replaces Monopropellent, Liquid Fuel and Oxidiser.

Not saying you should do it for him, but couldn't you do it with a simple text replace, and then add some fuel in the SPH for flight, actually three text replaces Monopropellent, Liquid Fuel and Oxidiser.

True, haven't thought of that.

Anyway, those Oscar tanks on the wings had to go anyway, and I've removed all those solar panels and metal plates and replaced it with a wire cockpit. Result: part count 11xx to 580, mass from 185t to 114t. Five minutes work.

But there are serious problems and while the basic form is very pleasing, this is not a 1.0 release.

True, haven't thought of that.

Anyway, those Oscar tanks on the wings had to go anyway, and I've removed all those solar panels and metal plates and replaced it with a wire cockpit. Result: part count 11xx to 580, mass from 185t to 114t. Five minutes work.

But there are serious problems and while the basic form is very pleasing, this is not a 1.0 release.

Sigh..

When you open it you will discover that it is beyond the help of struts.

Guys I really appreciate all of this, and the process with this craft has given me new perspective on this spacecraft exchange but ultimately I built this for myself. I chose to use full oscar b's for center of mass, solar panels for cockpit and kerbal joint reinforcement instead of struts.

If you think that these choices are wrong and that there are better ones feel free to explore them yourself. However for me this plane is finished and I have moved on from it and as such will not be revising it further.

This plane also represents the end of my more active time on this forum as I feel there is really no demand or interest in what I do.

Guys I really appreciate all of this, and the process with this craft has given me new perspective on this spacecraft exchange but ultimately I built this for myself. I chose to use full oscar b's for center of mass, solar panels for cockpit and kerbal joint reinforcement instead of struts.

If you think that these choices are wrong and that there are better ones feel free to explore them yourself. However for me this plane is finished and I have moved on from it and as such will not be revising it further.

This plane also represents the end of my more active time on this forum as I feel there is really no demand or interest in what I do.

I'm sad to hear that man. I do however feel that, in part you have brought this upon yourself. You released a craft under the stock banner that does nothing but explode on the runway. Also you neglected to say that without a certain mod the craft won't work. If so, it's not stock. People like clarity. If it needs a mod, say so.

I really hope this doesn't put you off because you have a good eye for detail.

Edited by Majorjim

Yeah, don't go, you've got talent and people recognize it. The forum is slow with showing appreciation. And I understand unwanted help can flame up some feelings, for which I apologize.

I'm interested what you'll produce next time.

I think you should see this for what it is, people have been helping each other build craft all over the thread. Many of us contributed to Columbia's B-17, I got lots of feedback on my Wellington. This thing looks amazing, and people want it to work for them and for everybody. It's constructive criticism, and best of all, people are actually downloading it, and trying it out, to give this criticism. We all have crafts that get released and not a single comment, so you have been very lucky. I think we have all probably noticed a post release slowing down in the forums, people are waiting for 1.1 to play again and yet this garnered a lot of attention by people who know and build good craft.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.