Challenge: Drag race to 100KM altitude

Can you post the .craft file for that thing? That is nuts.

Seconded.

edit: actually, I\'m calling shenanigans. Let\'s look at the first craft picture.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1377.0;attach=10224;image

With stock parts (which those initially appear to be), the last stage would have a mass of 6.3 tonnes (full) to 4.1 tonnes (empty). An LV-T30 pushing that mass at full throttle (200 kN), would result in at most ~2-4 Gs. As the rocket is accelerating at 15+ Gs with a full tank of fuel and below full throttle...

Same deal with the second one:

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1377.0;attach=10226;image

With the listed parts, the craft would mass ~25.45 tonnes, and have a thrust well under the 1000 kN it is capable of. The net acceleration would be <3 Gs. But again it is pulling 15+...

My first attempt dub ' The Speedster' was an utter failure, thing blew up around 1000m after violently turning in on itself. The Mk2 version actually did it with stock parts in 1:44 which isn\'t too bad with stock and it being a Mk2.

Final time, now I wish I brought up the overview screen.

tcmbL.png

m25dt.png

The Craft:

9w1dL.png

its just a simple mod...you could probably get it to go faster by adding smaller fuel tanks...(i wanted to fool you lol) and/or more engines...the ship is unstable thought unless controlled it spins so fast it blows up and dont launch with full throttle...the engine will blow up...my top speed with that engine is 300,000m/s and you can do that in about 78000M(the one distance above km)

i will try to upload it...

2-stage stock with no solids in 1:44, but I\'m still working on improving it. Fuel lines are magical.

---

Trimmed it to 1:41 with some solids. It\'s not going to win any records, but I\'ll post it anyway in case it\'s useful to someone else to see how I\'m using fuel lines.

inner stage: capsule, ASAS, LV-T30 engine under ASAS, 6 fuel tanks in a circle around ASAS, 6 fuel lines to central engine, 6 LV-T45 engines under fuel tanks.

middle stage: 12 decouplers, 12 fuel tanks, 12 LV-T30 engines, 12 struts, 12 fuel lines inwards to the 6 inner-stage tanks. Burns out around 40 seconds into flight.

Outer stage: 12 decouplers, 12 SRBs. I may try this with just two SRBs per decoupler. Burns out at 25 seconds into flight.

Image gallery Here, to save the forum screen space.

The important part is that all 19 engines burn through the outer 12 tanks and then they\'re dropped along with 12 of the engines. Throughout the launch the central engine can help burn without having any fuel tank weight attached to it. As you can see in the final screenshot, this design runs out of fuel literally at 100 KM altitude - You can just see the tail of the flame still in screen. So more engines with less fuel might do even better. I\'ll see if a similar approach will work with NovaPunch.

Here\'s my entry: 1:41 It\'s all solids. Nearly 10 G\'s, and Bob is smiling for once.

The lower stage kept exploding until I added the lateral decouplers. Now they just overheat to redline, but run out of fuel just before actually detonating, and that\'s good enough for Jeb.

Edited by Zephram Kerman

-------1:14

161 booster first stage, 7 booster second stage

And no fins or SAS/ASAS? That\'s definitely more efficient than my 169 booster first stage, 7 booster second stage. I\'m guessing that rectangles are more stable than hexagons?

edit for further musings:

The slightly faster time might be because of lower drag + increased stability (my last design had issues around first stage burnout).

I\'m moving development from a P4 to a Core2Duo. It was nifty grabbing a speed record using the slowest computer of anyone playing KSP, but the VAB (and to a lesser extent launch) is a slideshow. At least the C2D has a decent framerate in VAB with the current setup...

Looks like a second set of 6 control surfaces fixes the stability, without costing a measurable amount of time. Adding yet another ring (217 booster first stage, 7 booster second stage) reduces the time to 1:14. I suppose trying a slightly larger upper stage (9 to 11 boosters) may be worthwhile.

dragracer13h_time_1_14.png

1:54 with my Saturn V ship.

my best time so far is 1 minute 4 seconds and i think i can beat it, trying one more idea then i\'ll post pictures and ship info as proof.

ok heres the latest one i\'ve done..

1 SAS mod

1 decouplers

1 XL fuel tank

1 5x1 coupler

5 necelle engines

starting image:

JeyUm.png

as close to 100km as i could get with the image:

zcywK.png

images changed to reflect my new time..

new time: 58 SECONDS to get to 102KM!!!!!

old time: 1 minute 3 seconds to hit 101KM.

http://i.imgur.com/JeyUm.png

http://i.imgur.com/TtU9P.png

wich mod is that?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.