[1.2] Karibou Expedition Rover [0.3.0]

RoverDude

All of the transparent bubble pods in Exp Pack for starters.

(edit)

What I would add is that I generally don't do them because they have very little reward for the effort, especially considering the resource cost. I've done them for my various transparent pods because you kinda need custom ones for that (otherwise I just recycle a stock one).

I've been enjoying tinkering with the Karibou :)

Are the numbers associated with it tied down or still open to a balance pass?

The cargo capacity of 20k for the wheeled storage unit seemed a little high (not to mention axle breaking in higher g :o ) - although the capacity/ weight and impact rating of the Mk2 Kontainers (the hex shaped ones) seems to be superior to the heavier Kontainers.

Rapidly finding your suite of mods becoming essential to my enjoyment of KSP, especially for base building. Stellar work :)

I thought he made the HoneyBadger IVA? Or was that someone else?

Also, just wondering when the new crewcab IVA will be released? I saw it when I watched the recorded broadcast of your last stream.

Edited by smjjames

I thought it used the Honeybadger windows.

Anyways, can I put in a request for some sort of individual textures and labelling for the cargo tanks and crates?

Heres the results of my little experiment with packing as many kerbals as possible into the large cargohold. They started, well, ejecting, from the bottom as soon as I closed the doors.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by smjjames

You've discovered the hidden Kerbal Ejection System.

It was hidden for a good reason too...

- - - Updated - - -

Assuming you're using CRP, most of the units are in liters, so not sure which one was axle breaking for you

Honeybadger just uses a stock IVA. This one will be released soon.

That was one of my major turn-offs for the Honeybadger command pod. I like the immersion, even if I rarely actually pilot anything from IVA.

Personally, I feel that IVAs are extremely important, especially for bases and space stations, and I definitely choose mods with IVAs over ones without.

Speaking of mods with full IVAs, I've found that modules from the Planetary Base Systems mod fit perfectly on the flatbed Karibou pieces and allow for some AWESOME mobile bases and "Space RVs". :D

I'd love to see a small piece like the adapter that had a wheel mount on it, so we daily add more wheels without adding a lot of length.

Assuming you're using CRP, most of the units are in liters, so not sure which one was axle breaking for you

I think the issue is more one that I've become used to shallower game play. It didn't twig that the various cargoes had varying densities (and therefore significant differences in mass).

20k of Fertalizer is only 23.2 tons in a 2.5m Kontainer while the same volume of Metallic Ore (the default pattern so the one I'd been testing my designs on) is 113.2 tons!

It's all part of the learning process :)

Though the capacity of the Karibou Wheeled Storage at 20k is the same as the Kontainer (2.5m) which looks twice the size.

Personally, I feel that IVAs are extremely important, especially for bases and space stations, and I definitely choose mods with IVAs over ones without.

Speaking of mods with full IVAs, I've found that modules from the Planetary Base Systems mod fit perfectly on the flatbed Karibou pieces and allow for some AWESOME mobile bases and "Space RVs". :D

I'd love to see a small piece like the adapter that had a wheel mount on it, so we daily add more wheels without adding a lot of length.

There's already a new wheel bay being added

I am enjoying the new parts a lot and I have some (hopefully constructive) feedback, mostly about the masses of various parts.

Rover Cab:

• The flat top is the perfect place to put a couple of the large static solar panels from the official Asteroid Day mod
  • With a dry mass of 3.5 tons, this is a relatively heavy cockpit for three crew. It looks like the stats are based on the stock Mk1-2 cockpit, which is notoriously overweight. A mass of 3 tons would bring it closer to the Mk3 cockpit stat-wise.
  • 150 EC is skimpy power for an electric rover. Right now we have nice built-in headlights, but a solar-powered rover can’t go on night excursions of more than a few seconds at a time. It would be great to have bigger batteries built in, or available in a Karibou form factor (like the adapter plate).
  • This part only appears in the Kolonization tab, not the command pods tab.

Crew Cabin:

• With a dry mass of 2 tons and a crew capacity of four, this is like a bulky Mk2 cabin or lightweight hitchhiker pod - except heavily ruggedized, so it’s a little too good for its mass. The higher crash tolerance suggests a mass closer to 3 tons.

Wheeled Storage Bay:

• This has a storage volume of 20kL, equivalent to a 2.5m kontainer. But it’s only half as long, so it’s bigger on the inside than the outside. 10kL of internal volume would be more reasonable.
  • The mass (2 tons dry) is too light for the current storage capacity, though too heavy for the proposed capacity. 1.6 tons would be consistent with the mass ratio of kontainers.

Flatbed:

• This is is a great place to store three 1.25m kontainers side by side (with a little offsetting).
  • The mass is higher than the storage bay, but without the benefit of internal storage - it’s 2.5 tons for what is basically a structural part.
  • The top node is a little high, so crates appear to be hovering slightly. Unfortunately it doesn’t play nicely with the offset gizmo, snapping the part downwards.

Cargo Crate/Tank:

• It would be awesome to have KIS storage in the cargo crates.
  • The storage on each of these is equivalent to a 1.25m kontainer, but the mass on the tank is much higher (1 ton tank vs .4 ton crate/kontainer.)
  • These parts appear in the Kolonization tab but they would fit better in the Freight tab.

Adapter Plate:

• The storage is equivalent to a 1.25m kontainer, but the mass is high (1 ton for the plate vs .4 ton for the kontainer).
  • Since this is basically a quarter-depth version of the big wheeled storage bay, the internal volume is consistent with the proposed change to that part (2500L vs 10000L).

Emergency shelter:

• Right now this is heavier, less spacious, and less capable than the Kolonization MkV inflatable hab (1 t for 2 crew vs .75 t for 4 crew).

Javascript is disabled. View full album

The only nitpick I would state is that IMO the MK 1-2 is actually not that notoriously overweight. Given its much higher crash tolerance over the MK 1 pod (45 vs 15) it isn't far off IMO. Not to bring RL into it, but since the MK 1 and MK 1-2 pods seem to closely resemble the mercury vs Apollo command pods, you can sorta use them as a guideline. If you compare the MK 1 pod to a mercury capsule and the Mk 1-2 to the apollo they are pretty similar, with the mass ratios favoring KSP.

That being said, the karibou holds 3 kerbals, but also has significantly more battery power than a Mk1-2 pod. It also has space for mulch storage, built in landing legs, as well as fuzzy dice. So I don't personally have an issue with it being 4T.

Thanks folks, glad to hear that my feedback is useful.

The only nitpick I would state is that IMO the MK 1-2 is actually not that notoriously overweight. Given its much higher crash tolerance over the MK 1 pod (45 vs 15) it isn't far off IMO. Not to bring RL into it, but since the MK 1 and MK 1-2 pods seem to closely resemble the mercury vs Apollo command pods, you can sorta use them as a guideline. If you compare the MK 1 pod to a mercury capsule and the Mk 1-2 to the apollo they are pretty similar, with the mass ratios favoring KSP.

That being said, the karibou holds 3 kerbals, but also has significantly more battery power than a Mk1-2 pod. It also has space for mulch storage, built in landing legs, as well as fuzzy dice. So I don't personally have an issue with it being 4T.

Actually I think the battery power is the same (150 EC) for both.

The Mk1-2 is favorably ruggedized compared to the Mk1. But I think the reason that it's called out for being overweight is that is compares poorly to the Mk3 cockpit in almost every stat: notably impact tolerance and mass per kerbal, but also all of the "perks" (i.e. features that could be substituted by dedicated parts) like battery capacity, reaction wheel strength, and monopropellant storage.

That said, it's hard to overestimate the value of fuzzy dice...

That said, it's hard to overestimate the value of fuzzy dice...

How do you even know they are, in fact, "fuzzy dice" at all? They could be an advanced orientation control system with a low-tech gravity-direction sensor (they hang from something) with a low-tech visualization system (they hang from something). We may never know for sure.

How do you even know they are, in fact, "fuzzy dice" at all? They could be an advanced orientation control system with a low-tech gravity-direction sensor (they hang from something) with a low-tech visualization system (they hang from something). We may never know for sure.

Because I was watching the twitch stream when Roverdude added them :-)

Because I was watching the twitch stream when Roverdude added them :-)

How do you know RoverDude knows what they really are? Hmm? It's one of those grand mysteries of the universe. We may never truly know, and if quantum weirdness comes into play then, if we ever do figure it out, it may no longer work in the way we think thus making our supposed knowledge of the thing null and void.

How do you know RoverDude knows what they really are? Hmm? It's one of those grand mysteries of the universe. We may never truly know, and if quantum weirdness comes into play then, if we ever do figure it out, it may no longer work in the way we think thus making our supposed knowledge of the thing null and void.

Hmm. Maybe because RoverDude said "ya know what, this thing needs some fuzzy dice." :D

...and because they are, you know, fuzzy dice.

Fx2WGsH.png