[1.2] Karibou Expedition Rover [0.3.0]

RoverDude

with the legs? I have with legs. My guess is slight variations with the colliders on the various feet. Even with just the karibou pod legs in front and say a multi hub legs at the back it will slide sometimes.

With the wheels. I built a rover to send it to Minmus, but while testing it on the runway, I give it some gas, it starts going forward, then when I start to turn (left or right, doesn't matter) it continues to drift towards the end of the runway (east) instead of turning...

Is there TAC-LS support planned?

In what way? TAC already adds it's stuff to all pods

With the wheels. I built a rover to send it to Minmus, but while testing it on the runway, I give it some gas, it starts going forward, then when I start to turn (left or right, doesn't matter) it continues to drift towards the end of the runway (east) instead of turning...

Welcome to KSP wheels.

Kerbal Foundries wheels go nice with this and work better than stock IMHO

Hey RoverDude, any plans for IVA on this one. I love your stuff and use your mods. I'm currently running about 75 mods and yours are some of the best. IVA's with Rastorprop and vesselviewer on your stuff is my favorite way to do missions. Now if I could only find a current Space 1999 Eagle to use with your station, base, and life support mods. I'd be happier than Jeb on launch with a ship full of snacks.

Hey RoverDude, any plans for IVA on this one. I love your stuff and use your mods. I'm currently running about 75 mods and yours are some of the best. IVA's with Rastorprop and vesselviewer on your stuff is my favorite way to do missions. Now if I could only find a current Space 1999 Eagle to use with your station, base, and life support mods. I'd be happier than Jeb on launch with a ship full of snacks.

Umm what? :confused:

And funny you ask about the 1999 Eagle...

pC9iibY.png

q9w5xG0.png

Was messing around with a Karibou in sandbox today. ~40 tons, 2 MK-II modules and 2 VTOL engines. I put the Karibou radial probe on top and tried to do a precision mun landing with mechjeb and it was completely failing. I tried to balance center of mass and center of thrust, and I also had some Karibou RCS thrusters on there.

I also tried landing manually a few times and had a ton of trouble there too.

Anyone have some tips for landing a long Karibou craft?

Was messing around with a Karibou in sandbox today. ~40 tons, 2 MK-II modules and 2 VTOL engines. I put the Karibou radial probe on top and tried to do a precision mun landing with mechjeb and it was completely failing. I tried to balance center of mass and center of thrust, and I also had some Karibou RCS thrusters on there.

On your own, balance better (it's tricky). Modded solution, Throttle controlled avionics (amazing).

As noted, IVA already exists :)

Regarding the Eagle... yeah, you're getting one of those with the Honeybadger FTT refresh

Ensure CoM is over CoT, make sure the fuel is balanced as well.

RoverDude, I was curious why the Karibou download is not listed under Umbra Space Industries?

Also, thank you for the retractable wheels in this mod.

Still WIP in the development forum. Doesn't even have a github setup yet. My guess is he'll get to it eventually, especially after a formal release.

I'm sure the CoM was over the CoT, but the balancing was definitely very tricky.

The hard part here is that the moments of inertia are so vastly different on the different axes, and the RCS + VTOL engines are nearly impossible to perfectly balance, that flying the thing down from orbit with the VTOL engines is incredibly difficult. Glad I played with it in sandbox before jumping into my career game.

I'm sure the CoM was over the CoT, but the balancing was definitely very tricky.

The hard part here is that the moments of inertia are so vastly different on the different axes, and the RCS + VTOL engines are nearly impossible to perfectly balance, that flying the thing down from orbit with the VTOL engines is incredibly difficult. Glad I played with it in sandbox before jumping into my career game.

Sorry, this is not as difficult as you would expect, I do this on a regular basis, even in cases where I have to change engine throttle limiters on the fly.

The plan to is make it a lot easier in the future to convert wheels using the stock modules to use the KF modules. That will have to wait until we find out if KF will even be possible in U5 though.

Toss me a MM config and I will be more than happy to bundle it. KF wheels are excellent.

The plan to is make it a lot easier in the future to convert wheels using the stock modules to use the KF modules. That will have to wait until we find out if KF will even be possible in U5 though.

Regarding the stock wheels, I don't remember when I last used them, KF was always something of a default for me, so I actually had no clue that stock wheels are like this :D

Cheers gang!

Just a note about my landing issues; I was using one of the Karibou radial cores on the top of the Karibou module, and switching to that. However, the yaw and roll commands felt inverted to me, after playing around with it for a while. The yaw control would make the craft rotate about it's long axis, instead of turning the nose as I expected. So I put a MechJeb module on the back of the entire vehicle, pointed upwards, and controlled the vehicle from there. When I combined this with some PID controller tuning of MechJeb, I was able to fly the craft much more easily and also MechJeb's landing autopilot was able to properly fly and land the craft. I found that I had to increase the integral term in MJ considerably.

I did also install the TCA mod to play around with and it's pretty wonderful. Just got to be careful to not let MJ and TCA both be on at the same time. This might all seem like simple information to veterans, but hopefully it's not too off-topic and is able to help someone.

Edited by drhay53

As noted, IVA already exists :)

Regarding the Eagle... yeah, you're getting one of those with the Honeybadger FTT refresh

Sorry, guess I got used to the IVA's not implemented stuff. And at the time of that post I hadn't had a chance to check it out. My Bad. As for the upcoming Eagle Lander, all I can say is YAYYYY. I really look forward to it. Good job and keep on modding.

I've toyed around with the Honeybadger and other parts to make an Eagle Lander from Space 1999. I came up with a few interesting ones that worked but, only vaguely resembled the actual one. The Honeybadger parts made a big difference though.

Edited by CommanderJohnKoenig

Throttle Controlled Avionics will be your salvation then. :) It'll even make an extremely unbalanced VTOL craft fly.

Here to report a glitch Roverdude. So I loaded up KSP with this mod, but had no parts in the tabs. I also have the same glitch with other Umbra Space Industries mods. Roverdude, I really like this mod. can you please help me?

It's not a glitch, it is highly likely you installed it wrong. Picture of your gamedata folder would help to start.

I feel like the IVA would do a little better with a bit more texturing than just a solid green color- the IVA is kind of important for a part like this.

I'd suggest watching the streams (the many hours of streams) of that IVA being created. For the amount of work that IVA took I think it's pretty amazing.

Here to report a glitch Roverdude. So I loaded up KSP with this mod, but had no parts in the tabs. I also have the same glitch with other Umbra Space Industries mods. Roverdude, I really like this mod. can you please help me?

Same answer Golden gave you - start with a pic of GameData and UmbraSpaceIndustries. Also - was this installed via CKAN or directly from the zip on KerbalStuff?

I feel like the IVA would do a little better with a bit more texturing than just a solid green color- the IVA is kind of important for a part like this.

It's actually not solid green, it's shaded green. (and takes up about half the texture for that part). Granted, most is not visible in the IVA and is more readily apparent when you're looking via the transparent pod.