[1.2] Karibou Expedition Rover [0.3.0]

RoverDude

[url]http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~damerell/games/ksp/cab_internal.cfg[/url] is a quick [1] and dirty drop-in replacement for GameData/UmbraSpaceIndustries/Karibou/Spaces/cab_internal.cfg to add two RPM MFDs to each position at the cost of the VSI and altimeters, and to replace the instrument panel and square buttons with functional RPM equivalents.

This DOES NOT have the usual ModuleManager magic to make it only be used if RPM is actually available.

[1] actually about 4 hours because I did start knowing nothing about Unity editing at all, but let's not dwell on that. It would have been quick were it done by someone competent to do it. :-/

[quote name='RoverDude']Very cool! Mind if I bundle this with the core mod?[/QUOTE]

Pick which answer you like:

Yes, I'd be honoured, although it is pretty shonky - if you look up from the lower seat you can just see through the corners of the upper MFDs, and with more work one could both prevent that and get more functional instrumentation on the panels. I didn't make it a pull request both because of that and because I couldn't be bothered to write the Module Manager patch to make it fit for release.

As a derivative of a work under CC-NC-SA it is necessarily under a licence that allows that. Overanalysis time: unless you end up in a situation where the primary purpose of KSP modding is to please Patreon backers, in which case you presumably can't use CC-NC-SA derivatives of your own CC-NC-SA work. What a fascinating wrinkle!

[quote name='damerell']Pick which answer you like:

Yes, I'd be honoured, although it is pretty shonky - if you look up from the lower seat you can just see through the corners of the upper MFDs, and with more work one could both prevent that and get more functional instrumentation on the panels. I didn't make it a pull request both because of that and because I couldn't be bothered to write the Module Manager patch to make it fit for release.

As a derivative of a work under CC-NC-SA it is necessarily under a licence that allows that. Overanalysis time: unless you end up in a situation where the primary purpose of KSP modding is to please Patreon backers, in which case you presumably can't use CC-NC-SA derivatives of your own CC-NC-SA work. What a fascinating wrinkle![/QUOTE]

You should have just stopped with yes...

Nice update though. I love the RPM stuff.

[quote name='goldenpsp']You should have just stopped with yes...[/QUOTE]

The flaws seemed pertinent and, while pondering the implications of the licence was overanalysis, overanalysis is one of my principal joys in life.

Gave her a try..she makes a pretty impressive sno-train landtrain.. Steering modified to 45 degrees sub 10ms and 21 at 20

One thing I find though.. The wheels dont seem to have alot of lateral grip? In that the whole train sort of slides sidewards like a hovercraft.. Something not encountered with modded stock wheels

Any chance of larger wheels if a donations made? :)
Eg landtrain sized ones...sno frieghter or LLC1 sized

Apart from that lovely stuff :) works impressively well with diesel electric too..wheel torque is perfect

Heheh, you ever wonder what this is?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Bd56rs][img]https://farm1.staticflickr.com/678/23109083576_b73c65d4c4_b.jpg[/img][/url]

It's a REALLY steep undwater cliff. With a very sharp transition at the bottom.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/AFRZPx][img]https://farm1.staticflickr.com/658/22767228449_f3ceeac711_b.jpg[/img][/url][

But the KariSub had no trouble with it, despite hitting the bottom rather hard. I guess the mud is soft down there. :D

Anyway, the wheels don't get much traction underwater. The drifting you normally find so endearing on the surface is way, way worse, making you have to drive at an angle to your direction of travel when on a cross-slope, and forget about climbing even a very gentle, almost imperceptible slope. So it's a 1-way trip downhill until you dump your ballast. Which in this case was 4 full enclosed cargo modules full of ore, and that just barely made it sink at all. This thing wants to float like a cork, which I guess is a survival feature. It wasn't intended to drive underwater so I don't hold that against it :).

Anwyay, another great mod, RoverDude. Thanks.

Addendum: I should have some KSP time over the weekend, and could cram one of the VSI dial, the radar altimeter, or the three-handed altimeter into each console. Any preference for how they are arranged?

I'll also write the Module Manager magic and send a proper pull request. If I'm feeling keen I'll add TACLS support, but no promises.

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/11/2015, 05:06:16, damerell said:

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~damerell/games/ksp/cab_internal.cfg is a quick [1] and dirty drop-in replacement for GameData/UmbraSpaceIndustries/Karibou/Spaces/cab_internal.cfg to add two RPM MFDs to each position at the cost of the VSI and altimeters, and to replace the instrument panel and square buttons with functional RPM equivalents.

I've not done as much with this as I might have hoped (said every KSP modder ever) but I have updated it so that the lower position has a better (well, I think it's better) set of instruments and controls for driving, and everything is visible in the default FOV.

On 11/19/2015, 3:10:04, Overland said:

Gave her a try..she makes a pretty impressive sno-train landtrain.. Steering modified to 45 degrees sub 10ms and 21 at 20

One thing I find though.. The wheels dont seem to have alot of lateral grip? In that the whole train sort of slides sidewards like a hovercraft.. Something not encountered with modded stock wheels

Any chance of larger wheels if a donations made? :)
Eg landtrain sized ones...sno frieghter or LLC1 sized

Apart from that lovely stuff :) works impressively well with diesel electric too..wheel torque is perfect

No donation required, and as noted - I am more than open to adding more wheels

On 11/19/2015, 11:00:23, Geschosskopf said:

Heheh, you ever wonder what this is?

It's a REALLY steep undwater cliff. With a very sharp transition at the bottom.

[

But the KariSub had no trouble with it, despite hitting the bottom rather hard. I guess the mud is soft down there. :D

Anyway, the wheels don't get much traction underwater. The drifting you normally find so endearing on the surface is way, way worse, making you have to drive at an angle to your direction of travel when on a cross-slope, and forget about climbing even a very gentle, almost imperceptible slope. So it's a 1-way trip downhill until you dump your ballast. Which in this case was 4 full enclosed cargo modules full of ore, and that just barely made it sink at all. This thing wants to float like a cork, which I guess is a survival feature. It wasn't intended to drive underwater so I don't hold that against it :).

Anwyay, another great mod, RoverDude. Thanks.

I shall take a look - there may be more wheels in the works :D

On 11/20/2015, 10:06:46, damerell said:

Addendum: I should have some KSP time over the weekend, and could cram one of the VSI dial, the radar altimeter, or the three-handed altimeter into each console. Any preference for how they are arranged?

I'll also write the Module Manager magic and send a proper pull request. If I'm feeling keen I'll add TACLS support, but no promises.

Awesome!!

8 hours ago, damerell said:

I've not done as much with this as I might have hoped (said every KSP modder ever) but I have updated it so that the lower position has a better (well, I think it's better) set of instruments and controls for driving, and everything is visible in the default FOV.

Thank you!

On 19/11/2015, 05:06:16, damerell said:

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~damerell/games/ksp/cab_internal.cfg is a quick [1] and dirty drop-in replacement for GameData/UmbraSpaceIndustries/Karibou/Spaces/cab_internal.cfg to add two RPM MFDs to each position at the cost of the VSI and altimeters, and to replace the instrument panel and square buttons with functional RPM equivalents.

I've updated this again to make the upper right-hand position a pilot's position with atmo meter, altimeter, VSI, etc & the upper left-hand position a mission command position with three RPM MFDs.

And again, with some improvements - given the driver a compass and the pilot both altimeters. I'm not super happy with the pilot's indicator panel but there's a limit to what can be squeezed in. Sent a pull request to RoverDude.

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoying all these mods.  ;)

One request - could the storage box for the Deployable Emergency Shelter be made slightly taller (and perhaps weighted to stand on it's end)?  Just tall enough that it's level with the bottom of the deployed shelter.  As it is at the moment, deploying it stand-alone doesn't really work, as it'll tip back onto the box and stand with the airlock straight up.

The crew of my first Munar landing thanks you.  ;)  (The landing was a bit energetic...  Around 100m/s.  The rover scattered into pieces, but everyone survived.  I went to deploy the shelter, but I can't get it to stand in a useful configuration on it's own, and the tools I brought so I could attach things didn't survive the landing.)

Hello,

first of all: i appreciate the work behind these mods and i'm having a great time playing them.

A question: the Karibou modular wheels skids heavily even in high gravity environments (Kerbin) compared to squads TR-2L ruggedized thingy which i'm adjusted to :-) Is the friction coded in cfg somehow ?

Thanks for any hints !

On December 27, 2015 at 1:03 PM, kemde said:

Hello,

first of all: i appreciate the work behind these mods and i'm having a great time playing them.

A question: the Karibou modular wheels skids heavily even in high gravity environments (Kerbin) compared to squads TR-2L ruggedized thingy which i'm adjusted to :-) Is the friction coded in cfg somehow ?

Thanks for any hints !

Hey! I didn't find anything in the cfg, but I did set the reaction wheel torque to 0 for yaw so that it wouldn't spin the rover while turning. seemed more stable. 

Once again I totally abused the poor Karibou, this time turning it into a glider-delivered mobile base for Tekto.  Amazingly, it flies fairly well there and then, like a queen termite, sheds its wings after just 1 flight.  Also, the wheels have much better traction there despite the 0.25G than they do on the bottom of Kerbin's ocean.

09-05 BATHMAT Overall

This is a great mod.  Thanks again.

On 31.12.2015 at 6:08 AM, FieldGenEJ said:

Hey! I didn't find anything in the cfg, but I did set the reaction wheel torque to 0 for yaw so that it wouldn't spin the rover while turning. seemed more stable. 

Yes, that's the way to keep the car from spinning around.

I should be more precise: The Karibou is fun to drive (yes, it's a great mod :-)), it's just difficult to stop on a slope for the periodical F5 without sliding downhill (Kerbin and Mün, slope is not steep).