[1.2] Karibou Expedition Rover [0.3.0]

RoverDude

1 minute ago, gamerscircle said:

Yes I do

It's a known issue right now that RPM  is creating a decent amount of lag with the Karibou command pod. In my brief testing you get some performance boosts from either removing RPM (obviously) or by toggling off the transparent pod in the right click menu.  For now when I need the performance I turn off the transparency.

Thanks for the reply - this was the 2nd Karibou that I transported this way and the only difference was the Kerbal in the seat.  I did swap the transparency back and forth and that didn't seem to help.  I don't think I "need" RPM, so I will remove it and check it out.

Again thank you.

17 hours ago, Yuri kagarin56 said:

So im on duna. Ive got my mks lite rocket building stuff up and running ready to make me a rover. Unfortunately I cannot construct the karibou because it says I need to fill it with supplies but Im using tac not usi. So I cant build the karibou at all.

I don't know that this will work, but what if you empty all the Supplies tanks on the design and then try to build it?

Hi! So I am loving this mod, and I constructed my first Karibou here. Here's pics and the craft file:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1414175/ksp/karibou/To%20Death%20Shaker.craft

I have a problem though: when I extend the Landing legs (Action Group 9), and retract the Rover wheels (Actiong Group Gear), then the whole thing starts shaking more and more until one of the joints break. Usually between the ISRU and the rest. 

I assume that this is some kind of clipping issue, but for the life of me I can't figure out where, and why it only happens when it's standing on its legs.

This is reproducible with only USI mods installed.

What's wrong here?

52 minutes ago, Kobymaru said:

Hi! So I am loving this mod, and I constructed my first Karibou here. Here's pics and the craft file:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1414175/ksp/karibou/To%20Death%20Shaker.craft

I have a problem though: when I extend the Landing legs (Action Group 9), and retract the Rover wheels (Actiong Group Gear), then the whole thing starts shaking more and more until one of the joints break. Usually between the ISRU and the rest. 

I assume that this is some kind of clipping issue, but for the life of me I can't figure out where, and why it only happens when it's standing on its legs.

What's wrong here?

Ive had shaking before, mostly having to due with the legs on the command module.  I don't really know other than maybe there is a slight height discrepancy on the leg colliders.

1 hour ago, Kobymaru said:

What's wrong here?

Those wheels aren't attached correctly.  You're clipping.  (It's little tricky the first time attaching them - they attach the bottom half's walls, which at first glance looks like it's inside the part - but it's not, it's just between the exposed girder frame of the bottom half.  There's an attachment point, make sure they are attached at it.)

17 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Those wheels aren't attached correctly.  You're clipping.  (It's little tricky the first time attaching them - they attach the bottom half's walls, which at first glance looks like it's inside the part - but it's not, it's just between the exposed girder frame of the bottom half.  There's an attachment point, make sure they are attached at it.)

That doesn't help.

The reason why they are there is because I already tried "debugging" the craft. They were at the attachment points originally, and the craft started shaking. I thought that to prevent clipping, I should move them outside - nope, still shaking.

Are there any mods that help debug or visualize clipping?

On 2/12/2016 at 10:43 AM, gamerscircle said:

Thanks for the reply - this was the 2nd Karibou that I transported this way and the only difference was the Kerbal in the seat.  I did swap the transparency back and forth and that didn't seem to help.  I don't think I "need" RPM, so I will remove it and check it out.

Again thank you.

Yeah it may be the cockpit itself, I'll do a few tests

3 hours ago, Kobymaru said:

What's wrong here?

Move those drills - you're probably smacking into the drill's box colliders

I'm getting the same issue.... just downloaded the Karibou pack this morning.. try to build just a rover with 3 parts....  command seat and 2 wheels..... with the gear down and the wheels up..... it shakes. 

18 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Move those drills - you're probably smacking into the drill's box colliders

Removed the drills completely, still shaky. Breaks joints on physics timewarp, and also sometimes after a while without physics timewarp.

I think there's something funky going on with the (retracted) wheel colliders. I saw them twitch for no apparent reason, while being retracted and without ground contact. Note that this still with the wheels attached to the suggested attachment points.

Ok, so I did some further experimenting - and I simplified the craft substantially.

7fqhdiu.png

This thing here still shakes itself to death, albeit after a longer period and with less probability than the craft I posted previously.

1. Launch craft
  2. AG 9 for landing legs, AG-Gear for retracting wheels
  3. Physics timewarp to 4x
  4. Observe wheels twitching for no reason
  5. After about 3 minutes, the craft starts shaking, the flatbed wheel bed becomes lopsided, you see a cleft between the cockpit and the wheeled storage bay.
  6. After another minute, the joints between the ISRU and the rest break

The craft below also causes the same issue, but it is less likely to happen and if it does, it takes longer.

Spoiler

fTF1z0n.png

Edited by Kobymaru

11 minutes ago, Glaran K'erman said:

Well there's your problem. 4x warp will break most craft, especially on the ground or in atmospheric flight. Not saying you should't be able to 4x warp for a while but how long is "a longer period"?

Not exactly.  there is some occasional weirdness with the karibou legs at any physics warp.

Just now, RoverDude said:

I'll fiddle with their colliders - haven't seen the issue myself, but it's trivial to scale them down a bit.

I have only noticed with the karibou cab honestly.  Maybe something with its 4 legs?  I always figured it was oddities with landing legs.  I generally try to use the minimum number of legs necessary.

1 minute ago, Glaran K'erman said:

More so than any other part in the game? That may be but still would like to know how long he was warping for.

Yes.  But pretty much just the karibou cab

3 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

Well  I haven't had it shake a craft apart.  I usually just keep the wheels down unless im on a slope and can't stop sliding.

Yep, wheels down is definitely the way to go. Only set down my landing legs/retract wheels when I leave it unattended. 

Here is a quickie crappy video.(I really need to get off my rear and load up some better software for recording)  it is subtle in this example but it is similar to what I've seen with only a karibou legs and maybe a set of legs in the back.  when you put them down you can see all the parts kinda jiggling around.