[1.2] Karibou Expedition Rover [0.3.0]

RoverDude

29 minutes ago, ultrasquid said:

Really? I rather expect that wheel colliders would radiate all the way around the wheel, but you know best.

That maybe be simply how KSP works. It would be awesome if it worked in all directions, though.

It's how Unity wheel colliders work.  There's a raytrace that points down (it's used for suspension travel, etc. as well).  By rotating the entire model on the X-axis you're telling it you want to climb the sky :P

When transitioning from flats to a sharp incline, that might be exactly what I want to do. It also affords a longer wheelbase with a compact rover body.

This usually will work with the stock wheels… well to a limited extent. Rotating them more than 25-30° it starts getting weird.

2 hours ago, ultrasquid said:

When transitioning from flats to a sharp incline, that might be exactly what I want to do. It also affords a longer wheelbase with a compact rover body.

This usually will work with the stock wheels… well to a limited extent. Rotating them more than 25-30° it starts getting weird.

That might be an effective use of wheels angled 45° or 90° at the very front or rear of a vehicle... rolly-bumpers, or the front of a tank's treads. :)

I know this pack is not updated yet but the Karibou Rover does not scavenge supplies for the pilot. Seems a bit sad that she is doing resource logistics for the whole base but nobody brings around a plate of noms!   

Github issue raised.
I put in KER_RoverCab.cfg...
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleLogisticsConsumer
    }

22 hours ago, Beetlecat said:

That might be an effective use of wheels angled 45° or 90° at the very front or rear of a vehicle... rolly-bumpers, or the front of a tank's treads. :)

Especially since the only treads I know of, the Kerbal Foundries treads, use a non-stock module which lets them go over bumps with less fuss. :-)

2 hours ago, damerell said:

Especially since the only treads I know of, the Kerbal Foundries treads, use a non-stock module which lets them go over bumps with less fuss. :-)

Yep, I'll label this discussion chain under 'misuse of Unity wheel colliders' ;)  

1 hour ago, Profex said:

This mod is awesome but I have a problem. When I time warp in orbit the game lag a tons. Even in the vab, when I move the entirely rover the game lag.

Do you have rasterprop monitor installed?  it seems to be causing a good bit of lag at the moment.

3 hours ago, Whalesharks Kerman said:

Thanks for the rover:sticktongue:

You are welcome :)

7 minutes ago, Profex said:

It was the problem thanks!

Glad it got sorted - I'll have to peek and see if there's a better way of doing this.

7 minutes ago, WuphonsReach said:

Does the lag go away if you switch the Karibou control pods windows to opaque? (Which I think is a right-click option.)

For me it seemed about a 5-10 fps drop with the windows transparent.  I was ~40 with opaque and ~32 with transparent with a craft i just tested on the mun.

11 minutes ago, Yuri kagarin56 said:

So im on duna. Ive got my mks lite rocket building stuff up and running ready to make me a rover. Unfortunately I cannot construct the karibou because it says I need to fill it with supplies but Im using tac not usi. So I cant build the karibou at all.

1. Slap on some TAC supply containers

2. Make an MM patch to add TAC resources to karibou parts.

3. Wait for someone to do a PR for TAC configs

To build something in extra planetary launchpads you need resources Rocket parts and stuff. To build the rover its telling me i need the "Supplies" resource from USI life support. But I dont have USI Life support installed so there is no way to produce supplies. Therefore I cannot build it.

3 minutes ago, Yuri kagarin56 said:

To build something in extra planetary launchpads you need resources Rocket parts and stuff. To build the rover its telling me i need the "Supplies" resource from USI life support. But I dont have USI Life support installed so there is no way to produce supplies. Therefore I cannot build it.

Sounds like that would be an EPL issue then.  There are no USI-LS or EPL configs in the Karibou pack so any EPL requirements are coming from that mod not this one.

I am not sure how to go about this, but I think I came across a "bug" with the karibou.

Having a kerbal in the Cockpit of the karibou and attempting a time warp, turns the game into a slide show.

When I transfer the kerbal out of the karibou into the command pod and did a timewarp, the game went back to normal, put the Kerbal back in the karibou cockpit and it was lag.

I don't know if this is a known issue, but I thought I would pass it along.  If there is anything else that is needed, let me know how I can help.

3 hours ago, gamerscircle said:

I am not sure how to go about this, but I think I came across a "bug" with the karibou.

Having a kerbal in the Cockpit of the karibou and attempting a time warp, turns the game into a slide show.

When I transfer the kerbal out of the karibou into the command pod and did a timewarp, the game went back to normal, put the Kerbal back in the karibou cockpit and it was lag.

I don't know if this is a known issue, but I thought I would pass it along.  If there is anything else that is needed, let me know how I can help.

Do you have Rastorpropmonitor installed?