[1.2] Karibou Expedition Rover [0.3.0]

RoverDude

Adventures with the Karibou on Kerbin's moons:

One trick to getting something stable is to turn down the thrust values of the VTOL engines.  I think I used 20-25% of max-thrust for something that was headed to Mun/Minmus.

The other trick is to put Vernors at the front/back of the craft pointing up/down.  That way if the CoG is not exactly between the two VTOL engine sets, MJ's SmartASS feature can keep the craft stable while firing the VTOLs.  If you have a strong enough reaction wheel near the COG, then you might not need the verns.

On 12/31/2015 at 7:40 PM, WuphonsReach said:

The following parts have a doorway in the model, but are not CLS passable.

• UKS Multi-Hub
  • VTOL Descent Engine
  • Wheeled Storage Bay
  • Wheeled Storage Bay (short)

This was bugging me.  There's now a pull request.

I wish the radial supply tanks for the Karibou also came in a mini version that was only 1/3 the size (i.e. instead of 6 graphical boxes, just 2 graphical boxes).  Came across a situation where I wanted a radial supply tank of "supplies", and the Karibou version would have worked if it was smaller.

1 hour ago, Andem said:

Do you know when the emergency shelter IVA will be done? I'm really pumped for it!

Just curious, but did Roverdude indicate he was making one somewhere?

I only ask because historically Roverdude has made some great IVA's where it matters (like the karibou cockpit) but to date he hasn't ever done a fancy IVA for any habitat parts.  According to his streams IVA's are a real PITA and not that "fun" to make.

3 hours ago, RoverDude said:

At this point there is no plan for a non-stock IVA for the emergency shelter.  

Oh. That's OK... I just saw the video by Kottobos games and assumed that one was happening... :P

43 minutes ago, smjjames said:

Is the emergency shelter intended to be used in the 'crew rescue' missions? Because I just had one. The kerbal was able to get out okay though.

StrategiaCareer_screenshot_2016-01-14--1

Joys of rescue contracts.  AFAIK there is no way to limit what the contract system will use as a pod for rescue contracts.  I have asked in support as well.

4 minutes ago, pellinor said:

Maybe you could check on loading if a Kerbal is inside, and have it start inflated in this case?

Personally I would prefer the stock contract system to limit to just stock command pods for rescue missions, or allow for some setting or flag to block certain parts from being used in rescue contracts.

6 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

Personally I would prefer the stock contract system to limit to just stock command pods for rescue missions, or allow for some setting or flag to block certain parts from being used in rescue contracts.

Agreed.

1 hour ago, goldenpsp said:

On the other hand, if it was impossible to have a kerbal in a deflated module of this sort, that would be beneficial anyway (because it's Silly).

From kerbalstuff changelog: "Added a new S.A.B.R.E. engine to enhance your Karibou experience"

Awesome, going to check that out.

edit: Wasn't there also a structural pylon thing that you were working on as a mount for the engine? Because I don't see that.

Edited by smjjames

Indeed there was pylon in the works, not sure if it was finished tho.

@RoverDude

Couple of suggestions regarding S.A.B.R.E.

- Different lateral length variants of pylons, to enable simultaneous use of both engine pairs in level flight.

- Enable radial attachment option. This would allow use with different frames, not just Karibou.

- Own animation for switching engine positions trough action groups, e.g. aft thrust -> downward thrust. Bonus points for downward + tilt forwards for on descent braking, downward + tilt backwards for ascent. That would allow for some impressive lander designs.

41 minutes ago, Rho-Mu 34 said:

@RoverDude

Couple of suggestions regarding S.A.B.R.E.

- Enable radial attachment option. This would allow use with different frames, not just Karibou.

I actually had a similar thought to this and you can radially attach (symmetry wise anyway), I did that with the experimential craft in the screenshot. Btw, those FTT star lifter trusses absolutely do not like having the tanks on the inside, or maybe those tanks just don't like being crammed together that much.

My suggestion/idea:

Add a node to the back (or both sides) so that they can be placed as shown in the screenshot:

TCA%20stockbased%20testing_screenshot_20

Edited by smjjames

I've noticed that since the recent MKS update, the Karibou command module cuts my framerate in half.  No other pod does this.  This happens both in-flight *and in the VAB/SPH*.  Even if there are no other parts.  Clean new ship, select Karibou.. everything goes to crap framerate-wise.  Will see if I can dig anything out of the logs that may indicate why and will update this post.  Anyone else seeing this?  If so, are you also using the other USI mods?  My current save is using 100% USI stuff - everything Roverdude has made, I'm using, all at once.  Glorious.  I'd really like to see all of the USI stuff added to stock, really, since it.. really kind of completes the experience.  I like to say that USI is the first "expansion pack" for KSP once you've mastered the stock game :)

Does this work as a logistics rover with UKS?

edit: also, has anyone else noticed a bug with the VTOL engines producing monoprop when firing? I'm using windows 64-bit, so maybe it's just me. And while we're talking about them, I've noticed they actually seem to work better when gimbaling is turned off.

Edited by loki130

13 hours ago, ss8913 said:

I've noticed that since the recent MKS update, the Karibou command module cuts my framerate in half.  No other pod does this.  This happens both in-flight *and in the VAB/SPH*.  Even if there are no other parts.  Clean new ship, select Karibou.. everything goes to crap framerate-wise.  Will see if I can dig anything out of the logs that may indicate why and will update this post.  Anyone else seeing this?  If so, are you also using the other USI mods?  My current save is using 100% USI stuff - everything Roverdude has made, I'm using, all at once.  Glorious.  I'd really like to see all of the USI stuff added to stock, really, since it.. really kind of completes the experience.  I like to say that USI is the first "expansion pack" for KSP once you've mastered the stock game :)

Do you have RPM installed?

2 hours ago, loki130 said:

Does this work as a logistics rover with UKS?

edit: also, has anyone else noticed a bug with the VTOL engines producing monoprop when firing? I'm using windows 64-bit, so maybe it's just me. And while we're talking about them, I've noticed they actually seem to work better when gimbaling is turned off.

They should produce monoprop.  And the Karibou cab should also work as a logistics rover

Hi I just installed the Karibou Expedition Rover, but for some reason it's not showing up in-game, what could cause this? I installed all my mods through CKAN.

Here's a list of installed mods...maybe it's conflicting with another mod.

Spoiler

Adjustable Landing Gear (AdjustableLandingGear v1.2.0)
ASET Avionics (ASETAvionics 1.0)
ASET Props (ASETProps 1.3)
BahamutoD Animation Modules (BDAnimationModules v0.6.2)
Community Resource Pack (CommunityResourcePack 0.4.8.0)
Contract Configurator (ContractConfigurator 1.9.4.1)
Crossfeed Enabler (CrossFeedEnabler v3.3)
Docking Port Alignment Indicator (DockingPortAlignmentIndicator 6.2)
Firespitter Core (FirespitterCore v7.1.5)
Karbonite (Karbonite 1:0.6.7.0)
KarbonitePlus (KarbonitePlus 0.5.3.0)
Karibou Expedition Rover (KaribouExpeditionRover 0.1.2.0)
Kerbal Attachment System (KAS 0.5.5)
Kerbal Inventory System (KIS 1.2.3)
Klockheed Martian General Plugin Functions - Gimbal module (KlockheedMartian-Gimbal 3.0.6.0)
KSP AVC (KSP-AVC 1.1.5.0)
Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics (InfernalRobotics v0.21.4)
MechJeb 2 (MechJeb2 2.5.5.0)
Module Manager (ModuleManager 2.6.18)
NavUtilites (NavUtilities 0.5.1_RC_1_repacked)
Nuclear Rockets (USI-NuclearRockets 0.1.2.0)
RasterPropMonitor (RasterPropMonitor v0.24.2.1)
RasterPropMonitor Core (RasterPropMonitor-Core v0.24.2.1)
RemoteTech (RemoteTech v1.6.9)
SCANsat (SCANsat v14.7)
Sequencer for Infernal Robotics (InfernalRobotics-Sequencer 0.6)
SmokeScreen - Extended FX Plugin (SmokeScreen 2.6.10.0)
TextureReplacer (TextureReplacer 2.4.11)
Toolbar (Toolbar 1.7.10)
TweakScale - Rescale Everything! (TweakScale v2.2.6)
USI Asteroid Recycling Technologies (USI-ART 1:0.7.1.0)
USI Core (USI-Core 0.1.4.0)
USI Exploration Pack (USI-EXP 0.4.4.0)
USI Freight Transport Technologies (USI-FTT 0.4.4.0)
USI Kolonization (USI-Kolonization 0.1.1.0)
USI Kolonization Systems (MKS/OKS) (UKS 1:0.32.2.0)
USI Life Support (USI-LS 0.3.5.0)
USI Survival Pack (USI-SRV 0.3.3.0)
USI Tools (USITools 0.5.5.0)

1 hour ago, srl said:

Hi I just installed the Karibou Expedition Rover, but for some reason it's not showing up in-game, what could cause this? I installed all my mods through CKAN.

Here's a list of installed mods...maybe it's conflicting with another mod.

Reveal hidden contents

Adjustable Landing Gear (AdjustableLandingGear v1.2.0)
ASET Avionics (ASETAvionics 1.0)
ASET Props (ASETProps 1.3)
BahamutoD Animation Modules (BDAnimationModules v0.6.2)
Community Resource Pack (CommunityResourcePack 0.4.8.0)
Contract Configurator (ContractConfigurator 1.9.4.1)
Crossfeed Enabler (CrossFeedEnabler v3.3)
Docking Port Alignment Indicator (DockingPortAlignmentIndicator 6.2)
Firespitter Core (FirespitterCore v7.1.5)
Karbonite (Karbonite 1:0.6.7.0)
KarbonitePlus (KarbonitePlus 0.5.3.0)
Karibou Expedition Rover (KaribouExpeditionRover 0.1.2.0)
Kerbal Attachment System (KAS 0.5.5)
Kerbal Inventory System (KIS 1.2.3)
Klockheed Martian General Plugin Functions - Gimbal module (KlockheedMartian-Gimbal 3.0.6.0)
KSP AVC (KSP-AVC 1.1.5.0)
Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics (InfernalRobotics v0.21.4)
MechJeb 2 (MechJeb2 2.5.5.0)
Module Manager (ModuleManager 2.6.18)
NavUtilites (NavUtilities 0.5.1_RC_1_repacked)
Nuclear Rockets (USI-NuclearRockets 0.1.2.0)
RasterPropMonitor (RasterPropMonitor v0.24.2.1)
RasterPropMonitor Core (RasterPropMonitor-Core v0.24.2.1)
RemoteTech (RemoteTech v1.6.9)
SCANsat (SCANsat v14.7)
Sequencer for Infernal Robotics (InfernalRobotics-Sequencer 0.6)
SmokeScreen - Extended FX Plugin (SmokeScreen 2.6.10.0)
TextureReplacer (TextureReplacer 2.4.11)
Toolbar (Toolbar 1.7.10)
TweakScale - Rescale Everything! (TweakScale v2.2.6)
USI Asteroid Recycling Technologies (USI-ART 1:0.7.1.0)
USI Core (USI-Core 0.1.4.0)
USI Exploration Pack (USI-EXP 0.4.4.0)
USI Freight Transport Technologies (USI-FTT 0.4.4.0)
USI Kolonization (USI-Kolonization 0.1.1.0)
USI Kolonization Systems (MKS/OKS) (UKS 1:0.32.2.0)
USI Life Support (USI-LS 0.3.5.0)
USI Survival Pack (USI-SRV 0.3.3.0)
USI Tools (USITools 0.5.5.0)

It is a conflict.  The mod in question is CKAN.  Install manually.