My save doesn't like men

WhiteNoise

In my current game, for some reason, the contract just won't generate a male kerbonaut to rescue. The game begins normally, but after I launched two kerbol orbit stations filled with male kerbonauts, the game just don't generate male kerbonaut for rescue contracts anymore, even travel contracts are mostly female.

Now my space program is 80% female.

Not sure if it's a bug, or the RNG gods just decided to roll this way.

How many issues could have been avoided by just having the game flip a coin when deciding a Kerbal's gender and class.

Actually if the game uses a random function the odds will actually be heavy to one gender or the other the odds of having equal or close to equal genders less then 10 %

The only way to have genders even is to take the random function out.

While an interesting point of discussion, and one of those "huh..." things, I don't see it being a real issue in the grand scheme.

It could be that Kerbals have an Amazonian style social structure, and the females far out number the males. The reason we only saw male kerbalnauts for so long is that the females are using the men as "guinea pigs", waiting to see when the Space Program was safe enough (by Kerbal standards) for the females to venture out onto the surface to participate. They initially offered up the males that were deemed unfit for breeding (I'm assuming due to various psych reasons) as test pilots.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually if the game uses a random function the odds will actually be heavy to one gender or the other the odds of having equal or close to equal genders less then 10 %

Or run it over a long enough time frame.

I never had this bug happen to me. Is it probably caused by a specific mod?

Allegedly...

It's a well known discussed bug. As far as I know it's caused by the official Asteroid day mod.

I rescued a Kerbal from the surface of the Mun who started off male and somehow got switched to a female at some point. I don't know when it happened as I just stuck him/her on my Munar station until it was time to recover the crew, so about a hundred days or so had passed in-game before I noticed.

Guys, I run a bone-stock game and I can assure you this issue is NOT due to mods. Almost every Kerbal rescue contract is for female Kerbals.

You can switch the gender in the persistence file. Not sure if it updates the appearance though.

That's just.. wrong.

It could be that Kerbals have an Amazonian style social structure, and the females far out number the males. The reason we only saw male kerbalnauts for so long is that the females are using the men as "guinea pigs", waiting to see when the Space Program was safe enough (by Kerbal standards) for the females to venture out onto the surface to participate. They initially offered up the males that were deemed unfit for breeding (I'm assuming due to various psych reasons) as test pilots.

Haha I like this line of reasoning!

It should be a sine function dependent on game time with random start point. Also if you make ugly ships the game should only offer male applicants!

Edited by Pax Kerbana

You can switch the gender in the persistence file. Not sure if it updates the appearance though.

It does. But TextureReplacer doesn't seem to like it when this is done, and will switch them right back if it's installed. (Just uninstall, swap the gender, then reinstall TR if you're having that problem)

It's a well known discussed bug. As far as I know it's caused by the official Asteroid day mod.

I'm not sure if it's just my saves(multiple installs) or what, but the astroid day mod always messes with my game. It either runs extremely slowly, makes it super glitchy, or messes with my other mods. I've tested it by isolating mods and they're always negatively effective by the astroid day mod. I havnt tried it by itself, but I believe it shouldn't effect anything else

Is that some new definition of "random" you're using where "random" actually means "not random"?

Same thing for me, lots of damsels in distress. I tend recruit get my crew by rescues exclusively, and my crew roster is looking like a Japanese dating sim. :( All rescues that are generated are damsels. I remember it working correctly on 1.002 but I lost the save so I couldn't check if it's something that happens only when you start a new carreer.

Perhaps the Kerbals are evolving a skewed gender ration to deal with the recent mass extinction event caused by those mysterious rains of burning debris?

Same thing for me, lots of damsels in distress. I tend recruit get my crew by rescues exclusively, and my crew roster is looking like a Japanese dating sim. :( All rescues that are generated are damsels. I remember it working correctly on 1.002 but I lost the save so I couldn't check if it's something that happens only when you start a new carreer.

Perhaps the Kerbals are evolving a skewed gender ration to deal with the recent mass extinction event caused by those mysterious rains of burning debris?

Technically, if you're trying to increase your population, its best to have many more females than males (something like 5-1% of males). Reason being is that 1 male can impregnate many females over the 9 month period it takes for a child to be born ( assuming only 1 conception per 30 day month will be 270 in 9 months) so it makes much more sense that since kerbals are a dieing race that females are much more populous than males

This was looked at very closely during testing. For each Kerbal generated, there is an equal chance of being male/female. Through random luck, it sometimes happens that the pool is lopsided in one direction. Statistically, the more Kerbals you rescue, the closer to a 50/50 distribution you should get. However, it is also possible to get a thousand female Kerbals, although that is unlikely.

I rescued a Kerbal from the surface of the Mun who started off male and somehow got switched to a female at some point. I don't know when it happened as I just stuck him/her on my Munar station until it was time to recover the crew, so about a hundred days or so had passed in-game before I noticed.

It's them cosmic rays, man. They'll mess you up! :D

Is that some new definition of "random" you're using where "random" actually means "not random"?

I think the point being made was that true randomness is pretty poor at creating homogeneity, for small sample sizes. You will inevitably sometimes get skewed numbers one way or the other.

This was looked at very closely during testing. For each Kerbal generated, there is an equal chance of being male/female. Through random luck, it sometimes happens that the pool is lopsided in one direction. Statistically, the more Kerbals you rescue, the closer to a 50/50 distribution you should get. However, it is also possible to get a thousand female Kerbals, although that is unlikely.

I don't think this is true. Without Asteroid Day, I get male and female rescues, pretty randomly. Sometimes many female in a row, sometimes many male, sometimes a mix.

With AD installed, it is 100% female, never a single male generated, ever. Tried a few new careers just to check. Zero, ever, with that mod installed.

Edited by tater

I think the point being made was that true randomness is pretty poor at creating homogeneity, for small sample sizes. You will inevitably sometimes get skewed numbers one way or the other.
Sure, for tiny sample sizes but that's a far cry from asserting that a (any) random function must be heavily biased 90% of the time. That's definitionally backwards.

If I flip a coin thirty times and I expect somewhere around fifteen heads and fifteen tails, I do not expect twenty eight heads and two tails and therefore suggest we should just get rid of the coin toss as a random function.

Edited by Nathair

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.