[1.0.4] Arkas 0.2.1 - A Thick Atmosphere on a Desert World - 17 Unique Biomes - Cloud Support Added!

CoriW

Y'know, I'd like CoriW's opinion on the clouds, it feels... 'weird' to make an extension for a mod while the author stays silent. I'm not sure if he/she even knows about my cloudwork. :confused:

Oh I've been watching, based on your screenshot I'd say the clouds are looking pretty good but I'd need to see them in-game to form a full opinion of them. That being said if you sent me a PM with the extension as it is thus far I'd give you a more in-depth opinion. :)

I like the idea of the super volcanoes as islands in a dust sea, but a surface covered in dust storms is somewhat unrealistic. I'm making a few huge storms though, so your idea of super volcanoes rising above a sea of sand might actually come true. I'll also try to keep the storms out of the canyons: imagine driving a rover through a canyon with a thick blanket of sand passing over your head, that must be a pretty incredible sight.

I'll also try to make the storms as dense as possible, though not unrealistically dense. I'll try to make it like in CoriW's video in page 3 of the comments.

Also I'm really excited to see what you do with the sandstorms because based on what you said above it sounds like they're going to be awesome.

I'm also working on some extra cloud maps to create layering, and an optional cloud map that fully hides the surface from view to make Arkas a better Venus analog than Eve ever was. I'll soon take a few screenshots from the surface.

Don't worry DaZeInBok, he's working on that too. So there'll be something for everyone.

this looks fantastically stockalike and well thought-out, downloading now!

CoriW are you planning on making DMagic definitions? i might do that when i have some idle moments.

Oh I hadn't even thought about that actually, as I don't use DMagic. I'll look into adding them when I get a chance. :)

Gliese 581 g and 667C c definitely fit how I'd imagine the actual clouds on Arkas.

Alright, I'll keep an eye on that. I'll just make a few cloud maps and let the community decide which one they want. And in case one of my maps will be used in the OP and included in the download, I'll release a pack full of alternative textures. :cool:

This planet is too cool! I have to admit, I edited the CFG file to give it a breathable atmosphere, so I can tear across the dunes in jets. My only suggestion is that the sky should be a bit brighter. It's dark, like Duna's, and doesn't make you think of it being hot. Otherwise, it's great! Time for some aerial and wheeled exploration! :cool:

Alright so after fiddling with some config settings I came to realize something about the brightness of the sky... The reason the sky seems so dark is that the average midland elevation is between 1000 - 2500 meters... I decided to land a ship in the lowlands where the terrain elevation is much lower (300 meters where I landed) and the atmosphere is actually much brighter there because of it's lower elevation.

The higher you go up in elevation, the further out of the atmosphere you are and thus the atmosphere will appear thinner and darker than if you were at a lower elevation.

Edited by CoriW

this looks fantastically stockalike and well thought-out, downloading now!

CoriW are you planning on making DMagic definitions? i might do that when i have some idle moments.

Antgeth I'll be completely honest about the DMagic definitions... It took me well over 10 hours staring at a text editor (over the course of 2 weeks) to come up with definitions for just the stock experiments, and even with those I had quite a few definitions that I used multiple times because I couldn't think of unique definitions in some cases. After looking at how many experiments DMagic adds, I honestly don't know that I'll have the time or patience required to do all of the definitions required for that. That being said if I do somehow find the time I'll try my best but I honestly doubt I'll get it done, so feel free to write some definitions up and I'll be more than happy to include them in the OP.

Alright, I'll keep an eye on that. I'll just make a few cloud maps and let the community decide which one they want. And in case one of my maps will be used in the OP and included in the download, I'll release a pack full of alternative textures. :cool:

Really looking forward to seeing your work on the clouds. How much longer do you think until you have a "final" version of them? I'm currently deciding whether or not to wait on the clouds to do the release thread for Arkas, as I'd really like to include them alongside the download in the release thread. :)

Added this into my save, and gotta say it looks great :)

Request: Would appreciate a KSP-AVC .version file. so we can know when you update it! Cheers!

Alright request granted, version checking will be made available in the next update.

So I finally, officially landed a rover on Arkas. However I noticed a suspicious mountain in the distance.

TXSnh4D.png

The rover kinda rotisseried on re-entry and busted the solar panels, so I'm having to re-land the rover from a quick save to investigate what I've named Not-Right Mons.

Addendum: Rover missed by long shot. Trying again. Meantime I got another picture of it.

6uN0iLu.png

Edited by FungusForge

So I finally, officially landed a rover on Arkas. However I noticed a suspicious mountain in the distance.

The rover kinda rotisseried on re-entry and busted the solar panels, so I'm having to re-land the rover from a quick save to investigate what I've named Not-Right Mons.

Addendum: Rover missed by long shot. Trying again. Meantime I got another picture of it.

Yeah... There are at least two volcanoes that I know of that are sort of -- split in half -- A bit of a side effect of exporting the maps from Space Engine I suppose. I'll look into fixing them manually, but in the meantime let me know if you come across any other split volcanoes and if you do just post their latitude and longitude so that I'll have an easier time locating them. :)

EDIT: Actually I decided to take a close look at the maps to see how many split volcanoes I could spot at a glance and I count a total of 7 super volcanoes and 6 volcanoes that seem to be split to various extents... Hmm, whether to call it a bug or a feature is the question.

Edited by CoriW

Really looking forward to seeing your work on the clouds. How much longer do you think until you have a "final" version of them? I'm currently deciding whether or not to wait on the clouds to do the release thread for Arkas, as I'd really like to include them alongside the download in the release thread. :)

I am afraid that with my hectic life it may take up to two weeks to finish. I'll try to finish three cloud mads tomorrow though, and I'll keep you up-to-date.

Alright I finally got to one of the split mountains (not Not-Right Mons) and after getting an actual close-up view of it I do think they should be cleaned up a bit.

AYISN1y.png

I do kinda like the massive cliffs, but I dislike how they're doing the same kinda thing Kerbin's poles do. Whether or not they just get smoothed, or restored to full mountains should be up to you.

Edited by FungusForge
Better picture

Big update on the clouds!

Unfortunately, the 'sandstorms' were 1k above the ground, black, and transparent. I've completely redone the sandstorms, my KSP is loading right now so I can check out the new sandstorms.

I've also finished a few cloud maps and I've created a few configs:

- Low cloud density

- Medium cloud density

- High cloud density

- Full cloud coverage to give it a Venus-like look (You're welcome, DaZeInBok!)

I've also implemented some features from Astronomer's visual pack: Interstellar V2: when ISV2 is installed, there will be lightning all over Arkas (tested, works!), there will be a nice atmospheric glow (seen in screenshot I made earlier), and an aurora (tested, works!)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.