[Min KSP: 1.12.2] Pathfinder - Space Camping & Geoscience

Angelo Kerman

6 hours ago, vardicd said:

So, I just downloaded this today, because I loved the MOLE mod, and figured lets add this one and Buffalo too. :) I'm not seeing the issue Geschosskopf  had with the repeating switchbacks in the tech tree, but I am seeing a huge loss of FPS in the research screen since adding this and the Buffalo mod. It's not unplayable, nor am I really complaining, just wondering if anyone else has seen this issue as well?

When you are in the research screen, can you grab the logs and post them (ideally at something like DropBox, but if on the forums, put them behind hidden tags)? I can't reproduce your issue.

5 hours ago, iacopo77 said:

Question, now prospector can't produce exo and rare minerals? In the past it used to convert dirt in rare or exo minerals...im wrong? There is a new way to produce rare and exo...or only drilling them?

You can produce them by drilling or using the Prospector in an area that has rare and exo. Or just add an OSE Workshop to your base since it has a converter.

47 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

When you are in the research screen, can you grab the logs and post them (ideally at something like DropBox, but if on the forums, put them behind hidden tags)? I can't reproduce your issue.

Yeah next time I get a chance to play, I'll grab the logs and drop them in my dropbox and shoot you a link. might be a day or two before I get a chance. I go back to work tonight, and dad's got Dr.'s appointments coming up I got to take him to.

I just wanted to thank you for this mod... I've recently updated from 1.0.4 to 1.1.3 and my existing industrial building infrastructure on Minmus, Mun and Laythe were rendered useless with the modifications by RoverDude to UKS regarding RocketParts, among other things. I could have edited stuff left and right, but your mod will enable me to send quick "bridging" teams to convert from RocketParts to MaterialKits -and- stop relying only on Roverdude's everchanging ressource flow. :) 

Don't get me wrong, I love UmbraSpaceIndustries... But this mod is a godsend! 

19 minutes ago, Cairan said:

I just wanted to thank you for this mod... I've recently updated from 1.0.4 to 1.1.3 and my existing industrial building infrastructure on Minmus, Mun and Laythe were rendered useless with the modifications by RoverDude to UKS regarding RocketParts, among other things. I could have edited stuff left and right, but your mod will enable me to send quick "bridging" teams to convert from RocketParts to MaterialKits -and- stop relying only on Roverdude's everchanging ressource flow. :) 

Glad you like the mod. :) I'm of the opinion that when I provide support for another mod, I play in their sandbox, not the other way around. So in the case of @taniwha's Extraplanetary Launchpads, I stick to the resource chain provided by EL, since that is what players are used to. Granted, in the Simplified Play Mode, the resources change a bit, but the default keeps to what mods like EL use. Glad to see that the approach is working. :)

19 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

18 hours ago, vardicd said:

Yeah next time I get a chance to play, I'll grab the logs and drop them in my dropbox and shoot you a link. might be a day or two before I get a chance. I go back to work tonight, and dad's got Dr.'s appointments coming up I got to take him to.

Okay, so had a chance to boot up the game this morning, and, now it's not doing it. so.... random bug that just happened to hit me right after installing pathfinder? Never mind and sorry to waste your time. :( 

Edited by vardicd

20 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

I think I fixed the duplicate Switchback issue.

Yay!

Found another some more minor issues with the Conestoga.

1.  Setting Conestoga to be a tank for MetalOre removes all resources.  It says it's configured for MetalOre but there is no resource slider at all.  Only the sliders for the lights.

2.  Having found the above, I checked all the other resource configurations.  The only other issue noted was that when you select Slag, the resource slider actually says Konkrete instead of Slag.

3.  Headlight is on "rear" of Conestoga.  When you start with a Conestoga in the VAB, its headlight faces the wall opposite the big flag.  It should really be on the side facing the big flag because that direction is "forward" when you drive the Conestoga with rover wheels attached.

EDIT:::   Also, when you attach (or move a previously attached) Golddigger, you get a huge FPS hit because it flashes between its retracted and extended positions.  Not a biggie, just annoying.

Edited by Geschosskopf

2 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

Yay!

Found another some more minor issues with the Conestoga.

1.  Setting Conestoga to be a tank for MetalOre removes all resources.  It says it's configured for MetalOre but there is no resource slider at all.  Only the sliders for the lights.

2.  Having found the above, I checked all the other resource configurations.  The only other issue noted was that when you select Slag, the resource slider actually says Konkrete instead of Slag.

3.  Headlight is on "rear" of Conestoga.  When you start with a Conestoga in the VAB, its headlight faces the wall opposite the big flag.  It should really be on the side facing the big flag because that direction is "forward" when you drive the Conestoga with rover wheels attached.

EDIT:::   Also, when you attach (or move a previously attached) Golddigger, you get a huge FPS hit because it flashes between its retracted and extended positions.  Not a biggie, just annoying.

Thanks, I'll take a look. I knew about the template issue with Konkrete, hadn't seen the problem with MetalOre though. That one comes from when Extraplanetary Launchpads is installed, do you have EL installed?

I had a feeling that the Conestoga was a bit off, I'll flip the light locations and that should fix it.

Edited by Angel-125

@Geschosskopf

Ok, I did some assessments. Here is a stock craft using a command pod oriented like the Conestoga. The rover is turning right, and the door faces the "back" of the craft. When I push W, the rover goes forward like I'd expect, but the door of the pod is facing the back. On the other hand, in horizontal flight where the pod is on the nose, pushing W will drop the nose while S raises it.

4eGT3ox.png

The Conestoga is set up the same way. Those lights and cameras are akin to the door on the Mk1 pod, so you know how the flight controls are oriented. As with stock pods, pressing W will have the behavior you observed. What I'd do is reverse the direction on the wheels, just like you'd have to do with stock wheels to get the rover to drive so that the door on the Mk1 pod faces forward. The only other thing for me to do would be to redesign the Conestoga so that when you spawn the part in the VAB/SPH, it is oriented just like the Buffalo Command Cab is.

Also, thus far I cannot reproduce the MetalOre issue you described. This is what I see:

eplM6bo.png

I've double-checked and the templates are updated properly for Pathfinder, so not sure why you're seeing what you're seeing.

Edited by Angel-125

2 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

The Conestoga is set up the same way. Those lights and cameras are akin to the door on the Mk1 pod, so you know how the flight controls are oriented. As with stock pods, pressing W will have the behavior you observed. What I'd do is reverse the direction on the wheels, just like you'd have to do with stock wheels to get the rover to drive so that the door on the Mk1 pod faces forward. The only other thing for me to do would be to redesign the Conestoga so that when you spawn the part in the VAB/SPH, it is oriented just like the Buffalo Command Cab is.

I have my rover keys mapped to the keypad, not WASD.  When I push KP8 (forward), the Conestoga moves in the opposite direction that the headlight is facing.  Also, left (KP4) and right (KP6) are reversed.

2 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Also, thus far I cannot reproduce the MetalOre issue you described. This is what I see:

It's probably some glitch caused by Keridian Dynamics.  I think I'll ditch that one.

1 hour ago, Geschosskopf said:

I have my rover keys mapped to the keypad, not WASD.  When I push KP8 (forward), the Conestoga moves in the opposite direction that the headlight is facing.  Also, left (KP4) and right (KP6) are reversed.

It's probably some glitch caused by Keridian Dynamics.  I think I'll ditch that one.

Good deal. If you create a rover from stock parts like I did, do you get the same behavior?

Just now, Geschosskopf said:

Yes, it drives away from the door of the pod and L and R and reversed.  

Ok, cool. :) That means the Conestoga is doing what stock does. What that tells me though is that the Conestoga probably needs a redesign. It is currently set up so that the Conestoga orients like the Mk1 command pod. That orientation works great for VTOL operations, but not so much for driving around. Maybe what it needs is to be split into two parts: a ground base with the orientation that it has now, and a command cab that sits on top but is oriented more like the Buffalo command cab is. That way, you can control from the ground base to VTOL, then control from the cab to drive.

1 minute ago, Angel-125 said:

Ok, cool. :) That means the Conestoga is doing what stock does. What that tells me though is that the Conestoga probably needs a redesign. It is currently set up so that the Conestoga orients like the Mk1 command pod. That orientation works great for VTOL operations, but not so much for driving around. Maybe what it needs is to be split into two parts: a ground base with the orientation that it has now, and a command cab that sits on top but is oriented more like the Buffalo command cab is. That way, you can control from the ground base to VTOL, then control from the cab to drive.

I'd prefer to keep it 1 part and just move the headlight around to the other side.  I can deal with the backwards L/R controls as I'm used to that with VAB-built rovers.  Those have never worked right in the history of KSP.  If you want a rover to behave itselt, build it in the SPH :).  But it would be nice if the headlight shined in the direction it moves when you hit the "forward" key.

On 7/19/2016 at 3:08 PM, Cairan said:

That's funny I tried RoverDude's MKS first and didn't really like the look of the parts. Too cartoon-y. Someone mentioned this mod in another thread and the parts looked awesome so I got it. I even like the western theme but yet Angel makes it fit with the look of KSP.

4 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

I'd prefer to keep it 1 part and just move the headlight around to the other side.  I can deal with the backwards L/R controls as I'm used to that with VAB-built rovers.  Those have never worked right in the history of KSP.  If you want a rover to behave itselt, build it in the SPH :).  But it would be nice if the headlight shined in the direction it moves when you hit the "forward" key.

Ok, I played with the configuration of the Conestoga a bit and decided that driving backwards with the steering keys reversed was a bit too much for me. Normally I just reverse the wheel direction. But I split the difference and added lights all around the part:

Dt9GvS6.png

That way people can drive how they like. :)

Tip: The side with the most camera lenses is the "top" of the module for VTOL purposes.

4 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

I just downloaded Keridian Dynamics and tried reconfiguring the Conestoga. From what I saw, the template worked properly. I did make some minor adjustments to the EL MM patch but I don't know if that is what fixed things. Anyway, unless there are other bugs I can button up the latest and post it. :)

2 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

I just downloaded Keridian Dynamics and tried reconfiguring the Conestoga. From what I saw, the template worked properly. I did make some minor adjustments to the EL MM patch but I don't know if that is what fixed things. Anyway, unless there are other bugs I can button up the latest and post it. :)

Wow, fast work.

There are a few minor nits and inconsistencies.  For instance, none of the Casa or Chuckwagon configurations have a "Lights On/Off" button on their regular right-click menu,  Neither do most but not all of the Hacienda configurations.  But some Hacienda configurations do.  For those that don't, the only way to turn the lights on is via the Manage Operations/Command menu.  I don't know which you intended but it would be nice if they all worked the same way.

Also, it would be nice if the Hot Springs showed somewhere how much EC/sec it was making.  I can't find that anywhere on either the right-click menu or the Manage Operations.  I know it makes a variable amount based on local geoenergy, but it would be nice to know what that amount is for a given place :)

1 hour ago, Geschosskopf said:

Wow, fast work.

There are a few minor nits and inconsistencies.  For instance, none of the Casa or Chuckwagon configurations have a "Lights On/Off" button on their regular right-click menu,  Neither do most but not all of the Hacienda configurations.  But some Hacienda configurations do.  For those that don't, the only way to turn the lights on is via the Manage Operations/Command menu.  I don't know which you intended but it would be nice if they all worked the same way.

Also, it would be nice if the Hot Springs showed somewhere how much EC/sec it was making.  I can't find that anywhere on either the right-click menu or the Manage Operations.  I know it makes a variable amount based on local geoenergy, but it would be nice to know what that amount is for a given place :)

I'll definitely keep that in mind. :) Meanwhile, I fixed a long-standing issue with the Spyglass animation! Now if you leave the light on and spinning, and then leave the scene and come back, then the light will continue spinning and the mast will be extended (previously the mast would be retracted, leaving the light hanging in mid-air).

7 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

I fixed a long-standing issue with the Spyglass

I look forward to giving this a try shortly.  But I've never really understood at all how the whole survey stake thing works with EL.  Also, to make ships with a Pathfinder base, do I any EL parts or can I do it all (in a fairly timely fashion) with Pathfinder parts alone?  So if somebody could give me a nutshell tute on these things, I'd appreciate it.

3 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

I look forward to giving this a try shortly.  But I've never really understood at all how the whole survey stake thing works with EL.  Also, to make ships with a Pathfinder base, do I any EL parts or can I do it all (in a fairly timely fashion) with Pathfinder parts alone?  So if somebody could give me a nutshell tute on these things, I'd appreciate it.

You will need to install EL. Pathfinder supports EL by tying into its production chain and offering its own version of the EL Survey Station, known as the Spyglass. The Wiki page shows how to install and use the Spyglass, but essentially, EL's survey stakes are designed to work with KIS. You take a bunch of stakes and the mallet and send an engineer to his/her doom drive the stakes into a vampire the ground to set up the perimeter of the launchpad. Without a pilot in the Spyglass/EL Survey Station, the max range for the stakes is 20 meters. It's I think 200 meters with a pilot staffing the module. There is a way to establish the orientation of the completed vehicle, but I'm not sure how to do that, but perhaps @taniwha can shed light on that (or point you to the right EL post, it's a common question).

Pathfinder complements EL's production chain by offering the ability to smelt MetalOre into Metal, and manufacturing RocketParts through the IronWorks. The IronWorks has several converters in it (and makes me think that the more are active, the less efficient they all are, but that's a story for another time). It's the same production chain as in standard EL, so if you want to use the EL workshop and smelters and storage containers alongside Pathfinder's parts, you're good to go.

Lastly, you can modify the stock drill-o-matic and Pathfinder's Gold Digger and Claimjumper to drill for MetalOre, or use the Pathfinder Geology Lab to sift through Ore to procure MetalOre (as long as the biome has MetalOre in it). It takes an Engineer and 50 RocketParts to modify a drill.

Hope that helps. :)

Edited by Angel-125

12 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Hope that helps. :)

It does.  I've read the EL docs more times than I can count but never got some of that info out of it.  Thanks.

Now I have a Pathfinder question.....

As you know, I just built a Munbase that takes advantage of the resource distribution.  This all works fine between disconnected modules of the base but it's not working to refuel ships.  The ship in question has a MOLE 1.875m tank and I was under the impression the resource distribution would work for that.  But it's not.

The ship needs LF and is 93.9m away from the central base module.  That base module has a Brew Works making LF and a Chuckwagon storing LF, both of which are set to be distributors.  But no LF is going into the ship.

No DSEV Tank Distribution

So, was I wrong in thinking this should work or is it broken?  If I wanted to hack this to make it work, what should I do?

Thanks.

12 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

It does.  I've read the EL docs more times than I can count but never got some of that info out of it.  Thanks.

Now I have a Pathfinder question.....

As you know, I just built a Munbase that takes advantage of the resource distribution.  This all works fine between disconnected modules of the base but it's not working to refuel ships.  The ship in question has a MOLE 1.875m tank and I was under the impression the resource distribution would work for that.  But it's not.

The ship needs LF and is 93.9m away from the central base module.  That base module has a Brew Works making LF and a Chuckwagon storing LF, both of which are set to be distributors.  But no LF is going into the ship.

So, was I wrong in thinking this should work or is it broken?  If I wanted to hack this to make it work, what should I do?

Thanks.

Nothing's broken, the MOLE tanks don't participate in the resource distribution. But you can make them by adding the following:

@PART[<MOLE tank name>]:FOR[MOLE]:NEEDS[Pathfinder]
  {
  	MODULE
    {
      name = WBIStorageDistributor
    }
  }

You can then turn the tank into a resource consumer (which will fill the resources), a distributor, or simply turn the distribution participation off. <MOLE tank name> is something like WBI_Titan450.

Caveat: WBIStorageDistributor hasn't been fully tested, use with caution. If that works out for you then I'll add the modules to the MOLE 0.9.0 release. I'm just about to kick MOLE 0.8.5 out the door...

Get 0.9.32 here

Conestoga
- Added lights all around the part.
- Adjusted consumption rate of the MPU to be in line with stock fuel cells and MOLE's MPUs.

Stockyards
- If you have MOLE installed, the Stockyard 250 and 375 won't be available (existing craft won't break, you just won't be able to build new ones with Stockyards); use the ones in MOLE instead.

Bug Fixes
- Fixed the Konkrete and Slag templates so that they'll be named properly and store the correct resources.
- Fixed storage issues for the Cryo Fuel templates.
- Fixed an issue where the Spyglass spotlight animation didn't rotate properly upon reloading the scene.

Edited by Angel-125