Do you expect your crafts to still work in 1.1?

selfish_meme

Nope, expecting a full career restart & craft redesign.

Backwards compatibility is nice, but I'll happily sacrifice my saves and craft for bugfixes and performance improvements. Not worried really, 'tis just a game. :P

Then again, so long as there are no major part changes... who knows, we may get lucky.

I'm less worried about stock parts, however, I'm more worried about Mods taking weeks to add compatibility :(

However, I have a "contingency plan":

- Depending on how the Antenna features will work out, I'll dump RemoteTech. In this case, I'll try to savefile-edit my Relay Network probes to use the new stock antennas. If that doesn't work, I consider those probes lost.

- I'm still playing with the idea of switching from TAC-LS to USI-LS, because I have a feeling that RoverDude will be quite a bit faster in porting USI-LS to 1.1. For that, I have already started to use mostly surface-mounted supplies-containers so I can easily pop them off with KIS. I even "rebuilt" old crafts so that in-stack containers are easily removed with KIS

- I plan to bring all of my space-assets with incompatible parts back to Kerbin so that they can undergo maintenance and so I can replace any parts

It looks like a lot of work, but I think I'm gonna go through with this, for one sole reason: I already restarted my career twice, but if I always restart my career everytime a new version is out, then I will never get "far" in the game. I really want to improve my existing infrastructure and capabilities instead of building up *everything* from scratch once again.

Given that crafts are not even compatible between 1.0.2 and 1.0.4, which was just a minor revision (although, to be fair, the issues with loading 1.0.2 crafts in 1.0.4 are mostly due to the self-heating bug which didn't exist in 1.0.2, so one didn't work around it when designing), I wouldn't expect save-file compatibility for the major-update from 1.0.4 to 1.1. As others have already stated, the new antenna relay network feature will render many probes uncontrollable.

I would have thought we will be starting again.. again. I however will not be.

Its one of those things I wonder about. "Will kerbal be updated tonight when i get home?"

It seems like its a total re-write, & I havn't made a copy of KSP folder, so when steam updates it all my mods will be broken and my save will be kaput. again. No loss anyway lol.

So i'll end up giving KSP another break, again. Even though I'll be dying to try out the new wheels and whatnot i know performance isn't going to go through the roof (because my once amazing comp that can play other gloriously graphical games cant do .... with physics apparently in KSP) but I can probably hold the excitement so at least a few mods I want to use can be put back on.

I believe craft based around simple concepts will be easy to "re-certify" for 1.1; the majority of my successful 1.0+ designs will probably be untouched as they're generally quite simple and robust with fairly low part counts. At least for aircraft.

Small spacecraft like this microshuttle only needed addition of a small radiator in 1.0.4 to operate successfully, pretty sure without drastic changes to aerodynamics / physics, only complex mod craft need re-engineering.

I have been experimenting with new things in 1.04 so I don't have a big fleet designed. I'd lose my Mun base and a couple satellites. None of that will take a lot of effort to duplicate or improve.

I'm more concerned about EVE 7-4. It is the base for nearly all my beautification mods. This won't likely ever be updated. The add-on cloud packs, like Edge of Oblivion, won't work with EVE WIP. I enjoy designing and thinking a mission through, but it is the beauty of the modded game that inspires me to be an explorer. Career is wasted on me. It is seeing a dust storm on Duna that motivates me to see what else is out there.

I never had a ship that couldn't be transferred over, well with the exception of some very odd ones that I made just for fun and never used anyways.

The main question is why do people think there will be issues ?

And Career saves should also be fine, no problems there sense 1.0 came out, anything before that does not count as it was a beta.

Edited by Korizan

Craft will largely be unaffected man. I woundnt worry. Career saves will most likely be broken though.

I really, really hope you are wrong there. I don't want to start from scratch again... Anyhow, I'm future-proofing my ships quite a bit. Nothing without at least a simple antenna, and all modded parts (KIS, USI-LS) are in detachable modules so I can ditch them if push comes to shove. Ship mechanics-wise, I don't expect a lot of changes. Stats-wise, some parts might change slightly, but that shouldn't matter a lot on existing designs, and the stuff already built won't be affected much.

Rune. I've had three career saves since 0.18... I still haven't run the clock more than a couple months in any of those.

Of course they will. This isn't a beta. Come on, guys. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

I never had a ship that couldn't be transferred over, well with the exception of some very odd ones that I made just for fun and never used anyways.

The main question is why do people think there will be issues ?

And Career saves should also be fine, no problems there sense 1.0 came out, anything before that does not count as it was a beta.

Must of not had many planes in your fleet when the big wing update happened.

I plan to begin fresh with 1.1 about 7-9 weeks after it is out and the Hot-fixes are in and Mods have been repaired, for then I will finally begin a modded game.

The real change for me will be hardware, as even with a 50% performance boost from Unity I would suffer a degradation of performance with adding mods, and I'm tired of 12 minutes to orbit really taking 60.

Of course they will. This isn't a beta. Come on, guys. ;)

You wouldn't stoop to sarcasm, now would you? :P

It's not a beta, from what I can tell we're all still alpha testers. Things will probably almost certainly break.

Technically they will be all compatible. The craft system won't change. Now will the crafts function the same? Most of them will (in sandbox) if not all. Other then the antenna stuff I haven't seen anything that should break functionality

I wouldn't expect save-file compatibility for the major-update from 1.0.4 to 1.1.
I think remember seeing a statement from squad about keeping save files compatible after the 1.0 release. (But loading and being actually usable could be different things)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.