Do you expect your crafts to still work in 1.1?

selfish_meme

I would suggest evacuating the crews back to Kerbin, but leaving infrastructure where it is. That way, if anything breaks you're not losing anything important, and it's an interesting challenge to pass the time until 1.1 gets here.

I think remember seeing a statement from squad about keeping save files compatible after the 1.0 release. (But loading and being actually usable could be different things)

Well, that didn't work either. Saves from 1.0.0 won't work on 1.0.2 or 1.0.4 without manually tweaking the savegame file (remember the heatshield issue). So no, I don't expect savegames to work in 1.1

However, it is quite likely that 1.1 introduces new parts, new features etc. so starting all over with a new game will be the best thing to do.

I expect my craft to load and basically work in 1.1. Engines thrust, wheels drive, parachutes open, that kind of thing. I'll give a little leeway for things like reaction wheels maybe being taken out of probe cores. And of course the NotAntennaRange thing, but that's expected to be on a difficulty option anyway.

I don't expect them to perform identically. If an interplanetary probe built as an orbiter takes a delta-V drop that means it can't close its orbit, or a formerly-stable aeroplane becomes unflyable, that will be no surprise and won't bother me too much.

I expect my save to load, preferably but not necessarily without me having to tinker with it. In the unlikely event it doesn't, then after raging at Squad I'll get to jumpstarting a new science save to be as close a match as is reasonable. I'm certainly not going through the cookie-cutter early stages of it again.

I think remember seeing a statement from squad about keeping save files compatible after the 1.0 release. (But loading and being actually usable could be different things)

Aha, that must be why 1.0.3 broke all craft with a heatshield. :P

I'd say with how major an update 1.1 is I fully expect everything to break. On a personal note I hope the stock fairings are replaced by better fairings like the mod procedural fairings, if not, ill still use that mod as its a thousand times better IMHO.

There are no changes to phsyics nor parts IIRC, so ships should work. The potential problem is the whole antenna thing for probes, which I guess it can be disabled.

Other than that, I doubt wheels will break. If anything, they should work better.

The other problem are mods, specially mod wheels, which are likely to take some time to update

1.1 is going to be a new experience for me; so far I've started my career save over with each significant rev and made all new crafts. This time I have story continuity to think of, so I want to keep the save even if none of the crafts work anymore. Hence I have a lot of work going on now "behind-the-scenes" to bring crews home from Mun and Minmus with as much soon-to-be-obsolete hardware as we can salvage.

With every release I pretty much start over so the possibility of my saved craft working is never a consideration. I guess if I had extensive mining or station stuff going on I would like that carry it over, but I don't at this time so I'll just start over. I prefer Sandbox, but when the science first came out I played it through. I have yet to play contracts so maybe I'll try them out.

Now that the game is a full, not beta- 1.x release, I would expect save games to be compatible across releases, yes.

It was in beta for so long, I think we all got too used to just re-starting with every new release.

But now that it's an official full release, I think we should be able to expect more. Having to re-start a career after putting countless hours into it really can suck .. particularly for people new to the game, that haven't experienced the dev cycle which broke saves. That's acceptable during alpha and beta phases, but I don't think it is after that.

That said, the fact that it's switching over to Unity 5 may very well, in and of itself, break game saves. I don't know. If that's the case this time, I'd understand. But once it's in Unity 5, I'd expect saves to remain compatible and stable throughout updates.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.