a very rare event this week-end: super-moon eclipse

goldenpeach

I believe this is also a "Harvest Moon" because it is the first full moon of autumn (Super Harvest Moon Eclipse?). Too bad it isn't also a blue moon (would it turn purple?) :D It has been overcast all day where I am but the clouds are finally clearing!

Also I took this picture last night with a (cheap) telescope and my phone, and then used photoshop a bit to bring it into focus.:P

7SRJMEh.png

Planning wise it is not the best night for me, but I will set my alarm clock to sleepily gaze at it for a couple of minutes :D I was utterly thrilled when the sun eclipsed a while back, so I cannot let this one slide.

Count me in.

Although, it's not that unusual for the Moon to be this close. It happens once a month.

Do you know there is also an eclipse?

Edited by Camacha

Apparently the name actually originated with astrology. Which I find perplexing, because I don't ever recall any hype about supermoons until maybe four years ago.

I thought it was a real term but astrology (and all people who don't actually know how things work) took it and ran with it. I expect "superscript" to be similarly taken out of context some time in my life.

You know how there are sites out there like knowyourmeme which will tell you here something got started? I'd like to know that about the supermoon. But it's not really a meme, so probably nobody else cares.

Google Trends is great for this. You're right. The first real search for it was in 2011.

So the 30% darker eclipse and the 30% brighter moon will cancel each other: the eclipse will look like a regular moon!!!!

I science even more :P

I've been outscienced! :D

Why is NASA using a phrase some crackpot astrologer came up with while spewing countless other nonsense?

Don't knock it. I can predict the weather with it. It's easy. Anytime there's ANYTHING happening in space that's worth taking note of, it'll be cloudy.

*looks outside*

Nailed it again.

For those who can't see it because of the clouds, I just to remind you of the live stream the NASA make for this.

Yeah, I know it's not the same as seeing it but it's better than nothing :/

Ps: frozen_heart: how did you managed to do those pictures? Every time I try to take pictures, I end up with a very bright all-white spot around a blurry night.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.