Turbine powered VTOL flying saucer

Here's my latest creation. A stock turbine powered VTOL flying saucer! Here's a video of it in action, (sorry about the music :sticktongue:).

Probably one of the best handling rotary craft made so far, and rightly so considering it has 32 large reaction wheels in it. XD Powerful enough to lift a 20 ton fuel tank with its grabber, nimble enough to perform stunts like barrel rolls and loop the loops and strong enough to hit the ground at 25 m/s. You can also disable the basic jets and it flies like a gyrocopter. 261 parts. 73.7 tons.

W5DeF9Q.jpg

vOrT3HS.jpg

xyUXAIF.jpg

BeHc5Vv.jpg

Simply press space to fire it up, engage SAS and off you go. Hotkey 1 toggles the turbojets and hotkey 2 toggles the basic jets. Hover speed is 2/3rds throttle. Safe decent is about 1/2 throttle. It has enough fuel in it to go to the runway island and almost back. You're welcome to put more fuel in it but that will affect the performance. It even looks good at night!

KRLiOTB.jpg

GEhYe5l.jpg

Download here!

I would definitely recommend you give it a try as it is great fun to fly. Just don't get one of the Kerbals sucked into the turbines please. :)

Edited by Redshift OTF

Here's my latest creation. A stock turbine powered VTOL flying saucer! Here's a video of it in action, (sorry about the music :sticktongue:).

Probably one of the best handling rotary craft made so far, and rightly so considering it has 32 large reaction wheels in it. XD Powerful enough to lift a 20 ton fuel tank with its grabber, nimble enough to perform stunts like barrel rolls and loop the loops and strong enough to hit the ground at 25 m/s. You can also disable the basic jets and it flies like a gyrocopter. 261 parts. 73.7 tons.

http://i.imgur.com/W5DeF9Q.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/vOrT3HS.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/xyUXAIF.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/BeHc5Vv.jpg

Simply press space to fire it up, engage SAS and off you go. Hotkey 1 toggles the turbojets and hotkey 2 toggles the basic jets. Hover speed is 2/3rds throttle. Safe decent is about 1/2 throttle. It has enough fuel in it to go to the runway island and almost back. You're welcome to put more fuel in it but that will affect the performance. It even looks good at night!

http://i.imgur.com/KRLiOTB.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/GEhYe5l.jpg

Download here!

I would definitely recommend you give it a try as it is great fun to fly. Just don't get one of the Kerbals sucked into the turbines please. :)

What is your secret to making those bearings! I tried making a mini helicopter but could barely stay still in its bearing!

I love it, I repped it. It's a nice evolution of the idea of rotorcraft and maybe there is a market in the future next to helicopters.

Just once thing: now make a version without "No Offset Limits" ;-)

And ya gotta have to make a version with the new Panther jet engines when 1.0.5 has arrived.

Anyway, I'm gonna place your video on the unofficial FB page.

Edit: Ahem. First response on FB: "I need to know the name of the song". Facepalm.

Edited by Azimech

That's really an impressive achievement... It looks pretty cool, too.

I just HAVE to maybe be the party-pooper, though. Is the fan actually beneficial other than via the rule of cool? I mean, compared to having those jet engines pointed straight down instead.

(sorry about the music :sticktongue:).

Actually I think it's pretty catchy, what is it? [edit] Nevermind, listened closer and found it via the lyrics.

that hearthstone sample tho

Edited by Clouds

I just HAVE to maybe be the party-pooper, though. Is the fan actually beneficial other than via the rule of cool? I mean, compared to having those jet engines pointed straight down instead.

Actually I think it's pretty catchy, what is it? [edit] Nevermind, listened closer and found it via the lyrics.

It's sort of hard to explain, but just a few weeks ago there were no stock bearing craft that could get off the ground. Now we have several but bearing designs are getting lighter and stronger as well. Is anything in KSP really useful, only to the admirer, and some of us admire the work and imagination that goes into making something designed for one purpose do something else entirely.

It's sort of hard to explain, but just a few weeks ago there were no stock bearing craft that could get off the ground. Now we have several but bearing designs are getting lighter and stronger as well. Is anything in KSP really useful, only to the admirer, and some of us admire the work and imagination that goes into making something designed for one purpose do something else entirely.

This is not correct. There have been flyable stock bearing craft for over a year I believe.

Thank you for your kind replies!

261 is fairly low part count for something like that... you want to see -4 fps? try out something with 700 parts or over

Yeah, I must admit that I build so much stuff that goes above 500 parts that I end up thinking 260 parts is normal. I guess it is not if people are running the game on laptops.

is the hub just for aesthetics? Or do we stage, and it acts as a separate thing?

It is difficult to tell which piece is connected to which when someone, (me), has used the infinite offset mod but basically the small box girder thing is the root part and every thing is built off that. The only pieces that detach are the large decouplers. They are both connected to the same small blue decoupler but then offset between the wheels. The turbine blades are connected to the large decouplers.

What is your secret to making those bearings! I tried making a mini helicopter but could barely stay still in its bearing!

Inspiration from others and lots of practice making bearings that didn't work! This bearing is my most successful so far but is a bit large.

Redshift, this is the second craft i´ve ever downloaded.

This is ingenious! And pretty! And just awesome!

Wow, thanks, I'm honoured! I like the crafts look from the side but to me it looks a little bit like a squashed seal from above. It could do with having a smaller turbine but I need more powerful jets for that I think. Or maybe mount the engines outside of the blades. Yeah, that might be better.

ok, that thing is definately cool! The most acrobatic rotorcraft I've seen in kerbal so far. nearly outflies some of the Spitfire rotorcraft I've seen. O_o

Thanks. Got a link for those?

I love it, I repped it. It's a nice evolution of the idea of rotorcraft and maybe there is a market in the future next to helicopters.

Just once thing: now make a version without "No Offset Limits" ;-)

And ya gotta have to make a version with the new Panther jet engines when 1.0.5 has arrived.

Anyway, I'm gonna place your video on the unofficial FB page.

Edit: Ahem. First response on FB: "I need to know the name of the song". Facepalm.

No offset mod? surely you are joking Mr Azimech! :D Yeah, I really want to see the stats of all the jet engines of 1.05. Minimization would be my goal here.

There's unoffical FB page? Do you have a link? The music was just some free Youtube songs people make for use in videos but I should add their names to the description I guess.

Weeell in this case the jets would have produced more lift if they were angled down but I find rotor craft easier to land as they seem to stabilise themselves during decent while I find pure VTOL's a bit twitchy. Of course, some people like it that way. I have come up with designs that produce more lift than the engines alone would have but they tend to be a bit big and their practicality is questionable.

There have been some good helicopters and bearing designs in the past but the nerfs to the jet engines sent everyone back to square one. I think that's good in a way because it's forced us to try and optimise things and getting new engines means we'll be back with better designs overall.

This is not correct. There have been flyable stock bearing craft for over a year I believe.

Mostly from Azimech but there have been many different designs. It has been an interesting ride so far!

Yes, since KSP V1.0 stock bearings have been a problem... getting used to the new parts and new physics, and the transition between the two physics models hasn't exactly been smooth... So yeah, stock bearing are finally comming back into their own for 1.0.4.

And when I say stock bearing, I mean high(ish) speed rotorary bearings. Turret bearing have exsisted since long ago.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.