[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

First, if you are using Windows, make sure your KSP folder is NOT inside Program files or Program files (x86). ...

I would like to point out that this issue applies to the Mac OS installs as well. It is unwise to install the KSP folder in your global Applications directory as Mac OS normally locks folders in that directory and makes them read only. It is wiser to create an Applications or Games directory in our home directory and install KSP there.

just my opinion,

skip

For those of us with multiple-harddrive setups, does this only apply to the Program Files folder on the drive where Windows itself is installed? My steam library defaults to a different hard drive with a folder that just happens to be called Program Files

Yes, move it out of there; it can operate outside of the folder that Steam put it in.

I'd like to file a bug report, but I don't want to create a github account...

It's possible to radially attach an engine by means of a small tank. It is NOT necessary to connect the tank with a fuel line; as long as said tank has crossfeed disabled, it will draw fuel from it's radially-attached parant. If I understand it right, that's also what allows for fuel flow across many structural parts. However, Mechjeb doesn't know this.

crossfeed.png

If I want Mechjeb to show me the actual stats, I need to attach a fuel line. I'd rather if I didn't have to.

I'd like to file a bug report, but I don't want to create a github account...

It's possible to radially attach an engine by means of a small tank. It is NOT necessary to connect the tank with a fuel line; as long as said tank has crossfeed disabled, it will draw fuel from it's radially-attached parant. If I understand it right, that's also what allows for fuel flow across many structural parts. However, Mechjeb doesn't know this.

http://ksp.schnobs.de/stuff/crossfeed.png

If I want Mechjeb to show me the actual stats, I need to attach a fuel line. I'd rather if I didn't have to.

That's new behavior, previously tanks would not draw through radial attachment without fuel lines. See here.

That's new behavior, previously tanks would not draw through radial attachment without fuel lines. See here.

That's what gave me the idea in the first place. I'm behind a limited/metered connection right now and Kasuha's thread is quite picture-heavy, so forgive me for not loading the page and pointing you to the right post. But I assure you that Kasuha explicitly mentions this behaviour and has picture proof. Maybe search for "crossfeed disabled", as this seems to be the condition: with crossfeed disabled, it will tap it's radial parent. Enable crossfeed, and the engine shuts down.

That's what gave me the idea in the first place. I'm behind a limited/metered connection right now and Kasuha's thread is quite picture-heavy, so forgive me for not loading the page and pointing you to the right post. But I assure you that Kasuha explicitly mentions this behaviour and has picture proof. Maybe search for "crossfeed disabled", as this seems to be the condition: with crossfeed disabled, it will tap it's radial parent. Enable crossfeed, and the engine shuts down.

Actually I posted about this in his thread, Padishar mentioned that it happens when the tank is disabled and linked the post you mention. When you said "crossfeed" I thought you meant the property that allows fuel to flow through a part, which is what confused me.

Not sure I'll fix that one. I'm still behind on the added/changed flow mode form 23.5 and 24 and would like to do those first. And debugging those is a pain. Padishar is most patient for working on that for KER :)

Yeah, I basically rewrote the GetSourceSet function to explicitly follow Kasuha's rules which took a bit of doing due to having to translate the rules into plugin code that accesses the data the game makes available. It took a bit of doing and I still have to make changes to how/when it decides to activate stages which is a whole other kettle of fish...

Anyone having any problem with the GUI not loading at all?

I have the latest MJ installed (v2.3.1). I attach the MJ part to my rocket and I get nothing.

I have tried deleting the PluginData folder (only contained MJ files) thinking it was a placement error but it didn't change anything.

I have other mods installed. Here is a screenshot of my GameData directory. All mods have been updated as of 2 days ago. MJ is the only one giving problems.

kspgamedatadir1.png

Hey all... so I have updated to the newest KSP 0.24.2 (7/27/14) and build 270 of mechjeb. I too have had some pretty severe over-corrections.

Video: http://youtu.be/El0jwN8O3VM

Sorry for the vertical video and potato quality. Not sure whats going on... even with autopilot off and no inputs my craft still moves around on its own. I turn SAS on, and again the craft gets wonky.

Smart A.S.S. has been going haywire for me as well. Previously I could use it in surface mode as a cruise control on my planes. Now, if I engage Smart A.S.S. the plane starts an oscillating roll that increases the longer you keep Smart A.S.S. on. The plane flies fine on its own, and the roll quickly dampens if you turn Smart A.S.S. off.

I don't think the problem is in the plane. The behaviour of Smart A.S.S. seems to have changed dramatically with the latest version (2.3.1.0).

Yeah, I basically rewrote the GetSourceSet function to explicitly follow Kasuha's rules which took a bit of doing due to having to translate the rules into plugin code that accesses the data the game makes available. It took a bit of doing and I still have to make changes to how/when it decides to activate stages which is a whole other kettle of fish...

When I get a bit more time I'll have a look at how hard it would be to use your simulation instead of MJ's.

Smart A.S.S. has been going haywire for me as well. Previously I could use it in surface mode as a cruise control on my planes. Now, if I engage Smart A.S.S. the plane starts an oscillating roll that increases the longer you keep Smart A.S.S. on. The plane flies fine on its own, and the roll quickly dampens if you turn Smart A.S.S. off.

I don't think the problem is in the plane. The behaviour of Smart A.S.S. seems to have changed dramatically with the latest version (2.3.1.0).

.24 added roll on engine gimbal and I did not add it in MJ code yet, so MJ think there is less roll torque available than the plane actually has and you get oscillation. It's on the top of my list, I wanted to refactor some code first but I may do a quick hack.

.24 added roll on engine gimbal and I did not add it in MJ code yet, so MJ think there is less roll torque available than the plane actually has and you get oscillation. It's on the top of my list, I wanted to refactor some code first but I may do a quick hack.

Cool, thanks.

Currently version 2.3.1. It does not support KSP 0.24.2. That is the message that I get when I start the game, but the truth is that it works but the game is now a bit unstable and I not sure if it's because of MechJeb.

Hi

I have a problem in that mechjeb loads into the game fine, there are no error messages shown and the parts load too but in sandbox mode (and also in the other modes the mechjeb plugin simply doesn't show up, there is no icon on the right side anymore. It was working fine in 0.23.5 with the previous version of mechjeb but 2.3.1 doesn't seem to work in 0.24 for me. Is there a fix to this issue?

Thanks

Anyone having any problem with the GUI not loading at all?

I have the latest MJ installed (v2.3.1). I attach the MJ part to my rocket and I get nothing.

I have tried deleting the PluginData folder (only contained MJ files) thinking it was a placement error but it didn't change anything.

I have other mods installed. Here is a screenshot of my GameData directory. All mods have been updated as of 2 days ago. MJ is the only one giving problems.

http://cdn.thelonegamers.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/kspgamedatadir1.png

ive ben having this same problem, other mods will work but mechjeb's gui wont show up

Could we also get some new buttons on the auto land window. Seems that the closer you land to the runway the more funds you recover, I would also like to have the option to land on the pads on top of the VAB not just the Launchpad

Not sure why you have the title containing "[Part, 0.24.2]" when many of the functions clearly do not work in the 0.24.2 update. Doesn't correctly execute nodes (fires engines as soon as it lands on the blue mark regardless of node position). Launch to rendezvous just waits for the target to be directly above it then it launches.

"Launch to rendezvous just waits for the target to be directly above it then it launches. "

yeah, that IS what it will do the FIRST time (per rocket).

Once it launches , let it get to the Alt and then let it Circ... and finish. THEN it will know the proper Lead Angle that this rocket needs.

ESC- Revert to Launch.

Now when you select your target, you will see a NUMBER other than Zero, in the Angle box.

Click Launch to rendezvous.

All will be well.

Not sure why you have the title containing "[Part, 0.24.2]" when many of the functions clearly do not work in the 0.24.2 update. Doesn't correctly execute nodes (fires engines as soon as it lands on the blue mark regardless of node position). Launch to rendezvous just waits for the target to be directly above it then it launches.

Because it works fine here where I don't have 20 others mods, half of them not updated and the other half not supported by MJ. But feel free to write you own autopilot or contribute to the dev of MJ in any other way than that post.

Could we also get some new buttons on the auto land window. Seems that the closer you land to the runway the more funds you recover, I would also like to have the option to land on the pads on top of the VAB not just the Launchpad

VAB is an option on the landing assistance window. For the runway trying planting a flag on the 'taxiway' from the SPH and set that as target for landing ;-0 (Don't put it ON the runway or KSP will complain whenever you want something to take off from there). Flags marking the beginning of and approach to the runway also make good targets for planes coming in to land.

ETA: Oh, and MJ is working fine for me in 0.24.2 with 24 mods.