[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

This is one LONG post, but, the length is 100% needed as this is a complicated issue. With that said, please, read the whole thing before the logs or craft files or the persistent save file way at the bottom. Thanks.

I will start off by saying the following again. I have a target station in about a 350-370km POLAR ORBIT. I have a vessel designed in KSP 0.90.0.705 BETA that uses STOCK PARTS, MechJeb 2.4.2, NovaPunch 2.08 for its COMPONENTS. I just started the game today after it not having been run for roughly 24 HOURS. I can say, that for this iteration that, MechJeb is NOT functioning as intended in KSP V0.90.0.705 BETA.

for a clear idea of what is happening, I will take from a prior post of mine:

1. As I have stated multiple times MechJeb is not working as designed.

2. Mechjeb is acting on its OWN WHIMS.

3. MechJeb is either launch rockets the INSTANT engage auto pilot is hit

4. Mechjeb is either "waiting" but firing launch clamps prematurely then launching as soon as 17 SECONDS EARLY

5. Mechjeb is either "waiting" until "proper" time to launch but spasm fires ALL STAGES IN RAPID SEQUENCE WHILE STILL BURNING PRIOR STAGES.

6. Debug menu SHOWS NO FAULTS.

That is as concise and clear as I can get on what I am seeing.

Vital Stats concerning KSP: I run in 32 Bit. KSP V0.90.0.705

MODS INSTALLED: Romfarers Lazor Docking Camera .90 Compatible Variant. Nova Punch 2.08 .90 Compatible. MECHJEB 2.4.2 supposed to be .90 Compatible? Procedural Fairings 3.11.

Procedure Followed for Iteration 1 Data:

1. Loaded Game.

2. Took Note of CURRENT KSP Version Number.

3. From the INITIAL SCENE went DIRECT TO LAUNCH PAD.

4. Selected Vessel that started this.

5. HIT M. Targeted The Station in POLAR ORBIT.

6. HIT ENGAGE AUTO PILOT

7. Sat in COMPLETE LACK OF SURPRISE AS MECHJEB LAUNCHED THE VESSEL. AN/DN NODES it should be noted are 90 and -90 RESPECTIVELY TO TARGET.

8. Watched the Launch fly the rocket apart. <this little bit requires a slight fix of struts for anyone wanting to see this catastrophe using my ship if you dont want the Nova Punch ADV SRB 4 segment from tearing the thing to ribbons>

9. Reverted to VAB.

10. CLOSED VAB

11. CLOSED KSP

12. Obtained output log.

13. Posted Iteration 1 output log here: http://www.filedropper.com/outputlog_1

14. Posted Iteration 1 Vessel: vessel was deleted from kerbalx

Procedure Followed for Iteration 2 Data: <this vessel, the one for iteration 2 has a successful mission under it, hence my choice for choosing it for this>

1. Loaded Game.

2. Confirmed Iteration 1 KSP Version Number.

3. From the INITIAL SCENE went DIRECT TO LAUNCH PAD.

4. Selected a Vessel Constructed for the SAME TARGET in version .25

5. HIT M. Targeted The Station in POLAR ORBIT.

6. HIT ENGAGE AUTOPILOT

7. Sat in bewilderment for a moment as the vessel held firm.

8. Hit LAUNCH INTO PLANE OF TARGET. Held my breath.

9. Watched it wait until the correct moment to launch.

10. Watched the flight until circularize orbit maneuver.

11. Reverted to VAB.

12. CLOSED VAB.

13. CLOSED KSP.

14. Obtained output log.

15. Posted Iteration 2 output log here: http://www.filedropper.com/outputlog_2

16. Posted Iteration 2 Vessel: vesel was deleted from kerbalx

Given that Iteration 2 APPEARS to have flown correctly, as to why THIS flew right, and the first did not, I know not. I will await the word of those smarter than I in terms of Computer Language. Something is CLEARLY wrong here. I do not know what it is. BOTH vessels have Clampotron SENIOR docking ports for what it is worth, IF you intend on trying to fly a full mission profile from launch to docking with either vessel. They have action groups, but I neglected to take note. They are NOT flight critical as all operations can be done by hand. I await word as to what this gremlin in the works is.

Iterations 3/4/5: Reused the craft from Iteration 1 and the results are scary. THE FIRST Time I re-used for Iteration 3, it actually held firm until things lined up. I had a rapid unplanned disassembly mid-flight. Reverted to VAB to adjust some struts and relaunched. Iteration 4: same as 3 with regards to craft used. Hit ENGAGE AUTOPILOT. I DID NOT TOUCH SPACE BAR. Had 0 time to wait to do anything else, because as SOON as I HIT ENGAGE AUTO-PILOT, MechJeb was off to the races again. No waiting, no NOTHING, just hit ENGAGE AUTOPILOT and the thing LAUNCHED. Iteration 5 is currently Paused as I write this. While, it DID THE SAME THING: LAUNCHED THE INSTANT I clicked: ENGAGE AUTO-PILOT, I am seeing if it will fly the full flight profile, even tho, its currently something like 65 DEGREES OFF OF COURSE, just to see IF MechJeb will get the bugger into orbit. Will Update when I finish Iteration 5.

Iteration 5 is currently in an orbit. It is NOT the orbit I asked for, nor the orbit I desire. Here is a small album with 3 images of the 5th iteration. Image 1 is moments after hitting engage autopilot. Image 2 is mid way through ascent. Image 3 is after circularizing with one of the Nodes highlighted to show just how FAR OFF MechJeb is because it launched when I hit ENGAGE AUTO-Pilot.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Iteration um? where am I? 6, 7, 8 and 9.

MechJeb has COMPLETELY BROKEN. It now, on ALL of these last tries, with what, amounts to the most SIMPLE ROCKET: A 1 man command pod, a decoupler, a parachute, a MECHJEB and an RTG, will NOT FLY. I chose the station from all prior iterations as my test target. Iterations 6-9 ALL went the same EXACT WAY: I target the station, I choose: Launch to rendezvous, and I hit Engage Auto-Pilot. It starts promising: it actually waits, and then it CONTINUES to wait. All I hear is the sound of the engine activating <iterations 6 and 7 were LIQUID/OXY fueled, 8 and 9 were SRB powered> and it waits and waits and waits and waits and waits and waits and waits and waits some MORE. I am about to re-launch KSP to grab an output log for my 10th and FINAL Iteration, as I am going to declare MechJeb 2.4.2 NOT COMPATIBLE WITH KSP V 0.90.0.705 BETA. I am sorry to the makers and maintainers of this wonderful mod, but, SOMETHING IS CLEARLY wrong with the mod.

Iteration 10 Data:

1. Load Game.

2. Go to VAB

3. Design Rocket to test.

4. Design Specifications: 1 Stock 1 man Capsule. 1 Stock Nose Mounted Parachute, 1, RTG for power, 1 1.5m NovaPunch Decoupler, 1, MechJeb 2.4.2

5. Click Launch button in VAB

6. Hit M, Select station in POLAR ORBIT.

7. Hit Launch to Rendezvous

8. Watch the endless procession of night into day into night.

9. Get bored after "3 days" of waiting for mechjeb to actually launch. <mechjeb's auto-warp is NOT cutting off as the launch time hits, which is why its not launching, why this is going on, again, not a programmer, so I cant begin to speculate, but, this may or may not be helpful info, so i hope it helps. manually killing auto-warp seems to allow it to launch fwiw>

10. Revert to VAB.

11. Close VAB

12. Close KSP

13. Get Copy of Output log.

14. Post output log here: http://www.filedropper.com/outputlog_3

15. In pure frustration at the situation offers up the SAVE FILE this is happening in here: http://www.filedropper.com/persistent_1

16. Remind ANYONE who tries to help of the mods needed for that file to function: NovaPunch, Procedural Fairings, MechJeb, Lazor Docking Camera.

17. enter a final comment below this list:

This has been an utterly infuriating, frustrating and quite frankly depressing turn of events. I am so sorry to Sarbian, the person whom seemingly handles MechJeb now, but, I will contradict you now sir. No, MechJeb 2.4.2 is NOT working fine in KSP V 0.90.0.705. If it were, I would not be making what is amounting to a small novel for you and others to look at and TRY to help me. I have used MechJeb RELIGIOUSLY for ALL ASPECTS of my game since I came to KSP back at .21. I use it as religiously as others use FAR or KER, and it is as vital to MY space program as those 2 mods are to others space programs, and asking me to fly with out it, is like asking them to not use THOSE mods. Look, the long and short of this is, MechJeb 2.4.2 is NOT working as it should. SOMETHING is wrong with it. I can state, that it USED to work before .90 came out when mechjeb was like version 2.4.0 or so, and since then, it has been a nightmare after going to .90 and MJ 2.4.2. I am seeking help, not derision or condescension or anything else. I am sorry to have had to say the previous line, but, I felt it needed, sorry if that offends, but, im at my breaking point with this issue as it is 100% game breaking for me. There is a CLEAR and PRESENT issue going on. This post contains multiple output logs, craft files, a specification of my final test rocket, my PERSISTENT save from the save that this is happening in. SOMETHING is wrong with the mod, and help is needed. I really hope this issue can be fixed, found and fixed. Yes, I said fixed twice, because with this gremlin, I think its gonna need two whacks or MORE with the bug swatter.

Edited by Higgs

This is one LONG post,..

Agreed.

If someone wanted to replicate the issue on THEIR machine, what steps would be necessary? (Assume that I have a COMPLETELY STOCK installation, but with MecJeb as the ONLY MOD. How could I duplicate your problem on my machine?)

Is there any way to set up the orientation during launch? My ship keeps wanting to flip over the wrong way so that the pilot is sitting upright going into orbit instead of pulling back so he's upside down. This leads to my space shuttle doing all sorts of weird twisty stuff that leads to aborts more than successful launches. I have the mechjeb embedded mod so it's not about placement of the box on the rocket. I need a way to flip it the other way so they end up upside-down instead of the way it is now. I like doing computer-guided shuttle launches, it's alot more reliable than me.

Agreed.

If someone wanted to replicate the issue on THEIR machine, what steps would be necessary? (Assume that I have a COMPLETELY STOCK installation, but with MecJeb as the ONLY MOD. How could I duplicate your problem on my machine?)

I tried it and I'm guessing that the real issue is those ships he's using. Both vessels auto-launched when I engaged auto-pilot, but I immediately reverted, loaded up several of my own designs and they did not. I even tried both of his vessels in my own save, as well as his persistant file. Same thing. Those two ships launch themselves without hitting spacebar, as soon as MJ's auto-pilot is activated, but those 2 are the only ones that do it for me.

I doubt that MJ is the real problem here.

That's what the "force roll" option in the ascent autopilot is for, is it not?

Yes and he's saying that it orients the opposite way from from what is normal for space launches, which is typically 'heads down'

And no, there's no options for overriding it. Though one could place probe stack core rotated 180 degrees and control from there. As a work around.

<Lot of text with a love for uppercase>

A) The "Launch into plane of target" need to be pushed BEFORE the "Engage autopilot" (see, I can do uppercase too). I'll concede that the UI is not clear on that but that did not warrant the uppercase avalanche.

B) The POSO rocket you linked could actually use one less O in it's name. It's very badly build and cut itself into multiple pieces as soon as warp is running, or even before when it finish loading as seen in your log :

[00:01:02]: Structural failure on linkage between 4X-800 Liquid Fuel Engine Cluster (2.5m) and RC-L01 Remote Guidance Unit.

It is so wobbly than you can't expect MJ to fly it anywhere.

My launch into polar orbit went fine, it only needed a small inclination change which is normal for near polar launch.

On other new Meumeu submitted a nice patch : This patch allows to modulate each engine thrust individually to launch unbalanced spacecraft, it also provides attitude control on the pitch and yaw axes.

You should find the checkbox to activate it in the Utilities windows.

I'll add the roll input tomorrow. I m a bit tired and spent way too much time today running after false problem.

A) The "Launch into plane of target" need to be pushed BEFORE the "Engage autopilot" (see, I can do uppercase too). I'll concede that the UI is not clear on that but that did not warrant the uppercase avalanche.

B) The POSO rocket you linked could actually use one less O in it's name. It's very badly build and cut itself into multiple pieces as soon as warp is running, or even before when it finish loading as seen in your log :

[00:01:02]: Structural failure on linkage between 4X-800 Liquid Fuel Engine Cluster (2.5m) and RC-L01 Remote Guidance Unit.

It is so wobbly than you can't expect MJ to fly it anywhere.

My launch into polar orbit went fine, it only needed a small inclination change which is normal for near polar launch.

On other new Meumeu submitted a nice patch : This patch allows to modulate each engine thrust individually to launch unbalanced spacecraft, it also provides attitude control on the pitch and yaw axes.

I'll add the roll input tomorrow. I m a bit tired and spent way too much time today running after false problem.

Take your time, and rest yourself.

Nukeboy and eleven the second ship has a PROVEN successful flight in my persistent. As to the original this issue showed up with, to stay at a reasonable part count necessitates the use of novapunch to get aloft. Stock boosters sadly lack the power to keep sizes reasonable. Only thing ive seen start the problem is a revert to vab or launch. Awaiting information that coders can dig out of the supplied files in my other post.

Sarbian POSO is an acronym. You need to understand mechjeb refuses to fly at all. You can explore my files to find out why. The issue is real. Im sad its not showing for you but its there. The further issue is about MECHJEB not my ship but MECHJEB not working. Oh

Sarbin also, if MechJeb is fine according to you, answer me this: why then, using the STOCK 1 man capsule, a STOCK nose cone parachute, a STOCK RTG, a STOCK SRB from ARM and a STOCK decoupler with 1 mod part MechJeb 2.4.2 it refused to launch and kept auto warping after the target for a timed launch went sailing by? No really why

Edited by Higgs

I love pebkac and jelly sandwiches

Me too. :)

*Engage Autopilot* always comes after *Instruct Autopilot*.

@Higgs:

If you're trying to come across as a demanding git, you're doing well. Please try to remember that this work is done by volunteers & for the love of dog STOP SHOUTING.

I'll add the roll input tomorrow.

Better and better. :D

Seriously, if this does what it sounds like, it's gonna be awesome.

Edited by steve_v

Higgs, he told you already.

a) click Launch to plane of target,

B) THEN and only then. click Engage autopilot.

Which is fine, but, why the refusal of mechjeb with either launch to rendezvous OR plane of target to come off auto-warp and launch? That fun cropped up after iteration 10. And no one can tell me THAT is intended behavior of mechjeb to flatly refuse to stop autowarp and refuse to launch even the MOST BASIC rocket possible. MechJeb has an issue but i know not what the cause or why

because you are doing it wrong.

Click "Launch to plane of target" then "Engage Autopilot"

If you are, have been, or did anything else .. yeah, that wont work any more. why? because. that is why.

the correct way , and just so you know, the only way, in any version of MJ, was always, and forever, suppose to be , Click "Launch to plane of target" then "Engage Autopilot"

If doing anything else, ever worked for you before, ... THAT was the bug, and it has now been fixed.

because you are doing it wrong.

Click "Launch to plane of target" then "Engage Autopilot"

If you are, have been, or did anything else .. yeah, that wont work any more. why? because. that is why.

the correct way , and just so you know, the only way, in any version of MJ, was always, and forever, suppose to be , Click "Launch to plane of target" then "Engage Autopilot"

If doing anything else, ever worked for you before, ... THAT was the bug, and it has now been fixed.

I will ask again, even going in launch plane then engage why does it not shut autowarp down

Nice addition, that should make managing VTOL aircraft much easier (and one fewer mod for me to use). MeuMeu is also the one who submitted the porkchop patch, too, yes?

Better and better. :D

Seriously, if this does what it sounds like, it's gonna be awesome.

It is :) you can fly monstrosities into space now.

Nice addition, that should make managing VTOL aircraft much easier (and one fewer mod for me to use). MeuMeu is also the one who submitted the porkchop patch, too, yes?

Yes, that was me too.

Kudos, Meumeu! :)

I will ask again, even going in launch plane then engage why does it not shut autowarp down

I don't know. Even following your steps, and with a simple aircraft, we were not able to reproduce your issue. It works just fine here. And I believe Sarbian didn't find anything wrong on your logs. So, that makes it not a bug on the MechJeb mod, but either some sort of incompatibility with any of the other mods you're using (pretty unlikely), or you're really doing something wrong over there.

Edited by Kowgan

You folks called me crazy, said there is no issue with mechjeb. Well, I am happy to say: YES THERE IS. I have concrete PROOF in picture FORM. This is an imgur album. One picture shows you my ship, which is ALL STOCK with the ONE SINGLE exception of MECHJEB. The rest show the target in a POLAR ORBIT, yes, this is a NEW save, and the target, is a 2.5m probecore, 2 2.5 meter STOCK batteries, a STOCK 2.5 meter SAS wheel, a STOCK ORANGE TANK, a Main Sail Engine at 350KM POLAR ORBIT. The pictures speak for themselves. Now, PLEASE HELP ME FIND THIS BUG AND ITS SOLUTION.

Steps:

1. Loaded Game

2. Made a NEW sandbox Save.

3. Made a simple target to use, launched it to 350KM POLAR Orbit. Consists of the description above.

4. Made the Test Rocket, description is in the album.

5. Did a test launch, everything went well.

6. Reverted to LAUNCH <as this seems to CAUSE the issue>

7. Launched AGAIN, everything SORTA went well.

8. REVERTED AGAIN TO LAUNCH.

9. Laughed as MECHJEB GAVE UP WAITING FOR FULL TERM, Launches Prematurely.

10. Reminds people of the order in which I clicked buttons: LAUNCH TO RENDEZVOUS, ENGAGE AUTO-PILOT

11. Makes Imgur album, posts below.

12. Makes THIS post.

13. Embeds album.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

14. waits for someone to help find this bug.

Now, I am not TRYING to be rude, but, I am SICK of being rebuffed, treated with disrespect as people claim that either it is MY ship, or ME. I have undeniable PROOF there is an issue. Now, OBVIOUSLY this is NOT occurring for EVERYONE, but, it IS happening for ME. THERE IS a PROBLEM with MechJeb. My ONLY guess is it has SOMETHING to with the game going to BETA mode. I am NOT a coder and thusly have 0 clue. But to outright dismiss me, call my crafts pieces of <expletive word was implied by a diff forum member> and then mock me some more, by saying I am doing something wrong, is insulting and hurtful. I am having an issue that is causing me to NOT be able to play a game that I love. I am beseeching ALL OF YOU for help, instead I am treated like scum or ignored or something else.

There is CLEARLY something wrong with MechJeb, and I am TRULY SORRY if my finding this issue has insulted you, but, do not be derisive to me for it. Help me solve this. We all love this game. I am willing to BET MY ENTIRE GAME ON IT. But, again, to be anything other than helpful in this matter is, well, not helpful, and it is not the way of the community in which I hold in such high esteem.

Edited by Higgs

Is it possible to make default mode of maneuver planner anything but advanced transfer to planets? Reason is, that when ship in Sun's orbit is being loaded, somehow this thing glitches so much that I even have lost a ship (game froze and only option available was to return to KSC and then exit the game, because KSC was all black screen, upon next load that poor craft was gone from list of ships), most often it causes FPS drop and manplan window being expanded and frozen on 1-2% of transfer calculation. Turning it off or switching to different mode solves problem, soo..

P.S. Is it also normal that surface info window containing surface speed, current biome and few other parameters becomes completely blank when in Sun's SOI? KER seems to show same info without problems.

Edited by Mystique

-snip-

10. Reminds people of the order in which I clicked buttons: LAUNCH TO RENDEZVOUS, ENGAGE AUTO-PILOT

-snip-

The "Launch to Rendezvous" option will make MechJeb try to get a close encounter as soon as possible. But because the way a polar orbit is different than an equatorial orbit, if you use that MJ option, MJ won't care about getting on the same plane as the target. MJ is just trying to have a close encounter, but it doesn't care what happens next. So, this option is best used only when, at all times during the launch, your craft is aligned with the target's plane angle. In short, that means Equatorial orbits.

For what I understood of your album, your issue is that MJ is launching your craft on a totally different plane angle. In order to fix that, choose the "Launch into plane of target", instead of "Launch to Rendezvous". This will set the craft on the same plane as the target, but most likely, won't rendezvous with it.

(Because to do so in one single burn, the target would have to be at one exact spot on that orbit at the same time as your craft is crossing that target's plane during the launch. And that synchronism is pretty rare to happen; again, due to how a polar orbit is different than an equatorial orbit.)

So, after you've launched your craft and it is on a stable orbit, on the same plane as the target, you'll have to set a second autopilot burn, now using the "Rendezvous guidance" feature on MJ. This should make a few burns and set both crafts pretty close to each other.

And finally, use a "Docking guidance" functionality if that's what you're trying to achieve.

I hope that will fix your issue.

Edited by Kowgan
spelling