[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

I found a interesting bug or glitch or whatever it is. I have the updated version of KW rocketry, and I have found that MJ 2.0.8 can't read and display the Delta V stats on any stage or full launch vehicle made up of KW parts.

Really? I don't seem have this issue. I'm using the dev release, are you?

Exactly. Worst change ever :/

no issues here with it covering those map buttons...it does get into resources if you have more than 4 for me.

Sadron, kinda sounds like you have KSP set to a resolution other than your monitors native res, Also its already been stated, twice, that the menu pop-out position is atm hardcoded...

guys, the exact possiton of the mj tab will depend on screen res. so yeah, one person can have an issue while another doens't have any problem.

So simple fix. Change your screen resolution. Problem solved!

I found a interesting bug or glitch or whatever it is. I have the updated version of KW rocketry, and I have found that MJ 2.0.8 can't read and display the Delta V stats on any stage or full launch vehicle made up of KW parts.

It's not true for any stage or launch vehicle, but it's true for many vehicles, and it's not unique to KW, I see the same problem with Core Anvil rockets. MechJeb seems to be horribly confused by fairings. I'm constantly flying around with the system telling me my current stage's delta-V is zero, usually because the next stage contains fairings. Autostaging just stops when it gets to them, too, although that may be intentional.

Sometimes it just says my delta-V is zero when there are no fairings, though. Again, nothing to do with KW -- happens pretty often with rockets with no KW parts as well. Not sure what causes it -- I've had identical probes both have working delta-V displays or not, depending on the launch vehicle (which has now been left behind, so why the now identical probes have zero delta-V in one case and not the other is unclear but apparently related to their history and not their now identical current configurations). I suspect it might have something to do with the "root part", which changes sometimes depending on how I launch particular probes. MechJeb was completely flummoxed by my Jool MapSat package (sending half a dozen probes on one vehicle), and even after separating so they were now perfectly indepedent, single-brained bog-standard space probes, MechJeb could not autostage when the lower stage ran out of fuel, and displayed delta-V of zero for every stage and as the total. But it seems to randomly bug out on perfectly normal things, too, from time to time, so I dunno...

Edited by Gaius

I don't know, I sometimes run at 1680x1050 in windowed mode if I want to easily switch out to other programs to do stuff while on a long mission. Other times I run at 1920x1080 full screen and the MJ menu tab is directly on top of the mission/ship information buttons in both instances. GUI scale settings in the game itself might make a difference though.

Luckily, enough of the info buttons stick out so that they can be clicked on, but it is a bit annoying. It would be nice if the MJ menu button could be moved up & down on the side of the screen, or heck, popped out to be anywhere on the screen that is convenient.

Kouston, I think I have a problem. Since the 0.20.2 patch the docking autopilot (mechjeb 2.08) doesn't work anymore.

I select the dockin port of my ship as "control from here" and as target a docking port on a space station.

Before the patch everything worked just fine. I often docked with bobcat's Buran at the ISS. And it docked very fast.

Now, docking takes eternity and the autopilot fails to dock with dozens of attempts. Most times the autopilot manages to get too much speed and leaves the docking distance. Any help?

Edited by Uli_Stoiber

I don't know, I sometimes run at 1680x1050 in windowed mode if I want to easily switch out to other programs to do stuff while on a long mission. Other times I run at 1920x1080 full screen and the MJ menu tab is directly on top of the mission/ship information buttons in both instances. GUI scale settings in the game itself might make a difference though.

Luckily, enough of the info buttons stick out so that they can be clicked on, but it is a bit annoying. It would be nice if the MJ menu button could be moved up & down on the side of the screen, or heck, popped out to be anywhere on the screen that is convenient.

I run at a high res too (1920x1200) with large UI size, and have this issue.

Also, did you know you can run KSP in borderless windowed mode? Just add -popupwindow to the shortcut or Steam launch options. This allows you to run at the same matching resolution of your monitor, with no borders, and allows you to switch to another window easily..

Whenever i try to use the stock mechjeb ship that comes with mechejeb and add on parts it wont let me move it (the mechjeb pod 2.0 kit) the only thing i can move are the landing supports, the rest of the pod doesnt even highlight when i move my mouse over it. Any suggestions?

What, are you still using a CRT? Selecting a resolution other than the native resolution of an LCD panel is a pretty bad suggestion unless image quality and text readability is no concern.

The old location of the tab, further down the screen, was fine. Out of the way, no conflicts with old or new UI elements... If it hadn't been moved with the recent change, there would be nothing to complain about.

Edited by RoboRay

Kouston, I think I have a problem. Since the 0.20.2 patch the docking autopilot (mechjeb 2.08) doesn't work anymore.

I select the dockin port of my ship as "control from here" and as target a docking port on a space station.

Before the patch everything worked just fine. I often docked with bobcat's Buran at the ISS. And it docked very fast.

Now, docking takes eternity and the autopilot fails to dock with dozens of attempts. Most times the autopilot manages to get too much speed and leaves the docking distance. Any help?

Uli,

The ISS from Bobcat and others, has a VERY well documented, contstantly talked about, and oft referred to issue with the PMA-1 part.

If there is a PMA-1 part on the ISS at all, weather you are docking to IT or not,

You will NOT be able to dock, at all, ever, no matter what, to the ship.

This problem has nothing at all to do with MJ.

What, are you still using a CRT? Selecting a resolution other than the native resolution of an LCD panel is a pretty bad suggestion unless image quality and text readability is no concern.

You know, you don't have to play KSP in full screen mode. For example, my native resolution on my main monitor is 1360x768, but I play in a 1280x720 window.

Delta-V for SRBs doesnt show up...I usually dont need this, but it does hurt if you want to create a very,very specific launcher (for example,Faeton)

I don't see this as being an issue until such a time as we have to pay for fuel. Until then who cares?!? Fling half full tanks into the sun, tax payers don't care, its all free!

Im just messing around of course. Being able to pull up accurate Dv info on your ship is perty helpful in a lot of situations. Ive also noticed the afore mentioned staging issues in regards to fairings.

You know, you don't have to play KSP in full screen mode. For example, my native resolution on my main monitor is 1360x768, but I play in a 1280x720 window.

I would have bought a smaller monitor if I wanted to play in a smaller window. :)

Regardless, "you can use a lower resolution" or "you can play in a window" are poor solutions to this newly-introduced problem. Those aren't fixes, they're band-aids.

Edited by RoboRay

no issues here with it covering those map buttons...it does get into resources if you have more than 4 for me.

Sadron, kinda sounds like you have KSP set to a resolution other than your monitors native res, Also its already been stated, twice, that the menu pop-out position is atm hardcoded...

Nope. 1080p is native on my monitor.

Well for whatever reason it's now HIGHER on the side of my screen, so at least it's not blocking the buttons any more. However it's still NOT in the middle, where I'd like it to be. Is there some way I can go into the config files and edit the tab's position?

I would like to say that i prefer the Mechjeb tab where it has been moved to, 3/4s up just under the Vanilla info buttons. Not in the way of staging in the VAB. Out of the way of where I like to place the assent, SASAS & landing windows down the right hand side of the screen. The overlap of the Vanilla fuel etc is not a problem for me as I do not have the Mechjeb tab with the check boxes open except when first installed.

Just my own personal preferences.

Great Mod it has give me a great grasp of orbital mechanics, thanks to all involved in its development.

I think the auto dock feature is bugged

I had 2 craft aimed at one another,docking ports aligned

I did the autodock and it turned the craft 180 degrees

Did you put select the docking ports as the primary control point and the target? and are they placed in the right orientation?

I think the auto dock feature is bugged

I had 2 craft aimed at one another,docking ports aligned

I did the autodock and it turned the craft 180 degrees

It took me hours to recognize that one of my ships had the docking ports in the same orientation (Sr's on the end of orange tanks), because I didn't notice the orientation difference, and yeah, MJ just slams the ships together in weird ways. Personally I think KSP should flips the ports so they work, but that's not a MJ problem :)

MechJeb seems unable to land me on Pol! I've attempted numerous landings and get the same results: I get to about 700m off the surface, all is going well, everything is lined up and on target, then I get a burst of power from the engines and the craft starts rotating left, right and finally in complete circles with sporadic engine bursts.

It's strange this happens on Pol as I've just been landing on Bop fine, with the same craft, as well as other planets.

Couple of other bugs I've noticed are that sometimes MechJeb time warps past planned maneouvers (usually when warping at the fastest speed), sometimes MechJeb burns past the end of a maneouver (I wonder if this is due to the 'smooth throttle' option not cutting out quick enough on bigger engines), and sometimes the burn starts too late - instead of half the burn before the node and half after it does say 90% after (this i think is to do with staging and MechJeb thinking there's more engines active than there really is).

I'm using v2.08 and the latest KSP (2.20).

That aside, I love the plugin. Makes most flight so much simpler!!