[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

I haven't tested 2.0.9 yet, but 2.0.8 worked fine for that. Did you install FAR? The way FAR works is by removing the atmosphere then faking the atmospheric effects so that the stock atmospheric effects don't get in the way, I think, so MJ doesn't see an atmosphere, therefore no terminal velocity.

Nope... don't have anything except AR/MJ and Kethane installed.

It's not the end of the world for me, just strange that it started happening.

I think you messed up the links in your quote (they 404ed on me), probably from copying the post text (which has shortened links) instead of using the quote button. Here are the fixed links as well as a quote link to one of the places BloodyRain2k posted them (couldn't find the links here).

Yeah thanks for fixing that.

All these worlds are yours... except Tylo. Seriously, I'm doing some landings on the inner Joolian moons, Laythe and Val are no sweat... but on Tylo, MJ looses it's little simulated digital mind. The blue predicted landing point and the course line are like chalk and cheese, bearing no relationship to each other, and MJ thrusts all over the place until it either crashes the rover, or runs out of fuel and then crashes.

Thanks guys, for the info, that .dll file did the fix I could play again WOOHOOO thank you. No more juttering.

I mainly use mech jeb for the ascent autopilot, and all the helpful orbital information, well thanks again.

You could for example immediately create a circularization maneuver at the next periapsis. Even though right now you are in kerbin's SOI, the maneuver will be created on the next mun Pe regardless.

Or you could just wait for the SOI transition, adjust your periapsis to your liking, and then execute the circularization maneuver as before.

You could for example immediately create a circularization maneuver at the next periapsis. Even though right now you are in kerbin's SOI, the maneuver will be created on the next mun Pe regardless.

Or you could just wait for the SOI transition, adjust your periapsis to your liking, and then execute the circularization maneuver as before.

When I create a circularization node at the next periapsis it creates the node at the next Kerbin periapsis instead of Mun unless I am in Mun's SOI. I know I can wait for the SOI transition, but I want to create a method of doing this automatically so it can time warp and execute the node while I am away from my desktop.

In a completely unrelated topic, what exactly do the "pre" and "post" delays do in ascent guidance?

Edited by JuggernautOfWar

Hi there,

it would be very nice if we get a "don't use RCS" Button, at least in Smart A.S.S.

Docking would be much easier with that, if Smart A.S.S uses only the reaction wheels to hold the direction, and i can use the RCS to translate the whole craft at the same time.

In a completely unrelated topic, what exactly do the "pre" and "post" delays do in ascent guidance?

Those are part of the Autostaging. I know the 'pre' delay suspends the auto-staging from occurring immediately... I'm not sure what the 'post' does except maybe delay the next sequence from automatically triggering. I've used the 'pre' delay to prevent strap-on boosters from being jetisioned until the core has gone back to full thrust to minimize the chance of a collision.

Thank you for the info. It would be nice if somebody could reply with what exactly the "post" value affects.

I figured out how to "transfer" to a moon autonomously as well. Using the rendezvous autopilot you can complete all the necessary burns to successfully rendezvous with a moon in your current system. Problem is, it puts you right in the center of the moon so you collide and explode. I think this feature is more designed for flying to an object such as a space station in orbit.

Thus I have to keep using the maneuver planner in the meantime to do all my rendezvous, which means I have to be here to setup a new node only after I get into it's COI.

Edited by JuggernautOfWar

As someone mentioned before, they are both part of the auto stage function. Pre and post values suspend the throttle for the given time (not sure about controls). Depending on your staging and rocket design you might run into problems w/o these delays, e.g. loss of control or collision with seperated parts. This is especially useful for larger rockets which may need ullage motors for stage seperation.

I figured out how to "transfer" to a moon autonomously as well. Using the rendezvous autopilot you can complete all the necessary burns to successfully rendezvous with a moon in your current system. Problem is, it puts you right in the center of the moon so you collide and explode. I think this feature is more designed for flying to an object such as a space station in orbit.

The system is designed to have 2 step :

- First you use the "Hohmann transfer to target" to start the transfer. You are now on a collision course

- Then you use "Fine tune closest approach to target" to set the final Pe and align the orbits

When I create a circularization node at the next periapsis it creates the node at the next Kerbin periapsis instead of Mun unless I am in Mun's SOI. I know I can wait for the SOI transition, but I want to create a method of doing this automatically so it can time warp and execute the node while I am away from my desktop.

Yeah, to my surprise, I thought that worked. Anyways, that is not a good idea anyways, since by the time you reach the mun's soi, you might see significant errors in the periapsis height. And you can timewarp so fast that it should not be an issue.

The system is designed to have 2 step :

- First you use the "Hohmann transfer to target" to start the transfer. You are now on a collision course

- Then you use "Fine tune closest approach to target" to set the final Pe and align the orbits

The system wasn't this way pre-patch. Previously, you could transfer to target and you could set parameters and it would get you in orbit without having to do much else. I assume it's something that hasn't been fine-tuned yet, but I really hope it gets back to pre-patch functionality. I used to use MechJeb for auto-burns/orbits while writing papers for graduate school, cooking dinner, running errands, or anything!

Edited by condraj2

If Mechjeb wants to suddenly change orientation of the craft, going from pro to retrograde for a burn for example, does Mechjeb just increase spin movement toward the desired vector or does it increase half way there and then decrease the next half for finese? Because I've had trouble in the past with craft getting to the desired orientation with excess torque and then overshooting the mark by some way.

How do you create a node to automatically orbit around your target once you get there instead of orbiting the current body? See the linked image for an example of what I am talking about.

Scott Manley does cover how to do this on a YouTube Video but ill break it down quick and dirty for you.

Steps

1) Launch rocket into circular orbit around Kerbin

2) Target the Mun or whatever body and initiate a Hohmann transfer to the Target

3) Once the hohmann transfer has completed, open the Warp Helper and select Warp To SOI

4) Open the Maneuver Planner while warping and select Change Periapsis and set it to say 40km(for the Mun) and initiate

5) Once your Pe has been established then set you next maneuver as Circularize and set the option to At Next Periapsis

BOOM you are in orbit around your target...have fun

Anyone else have a problem with MJ not limiting thrust to terminal velocity? It limits jet throttle just fine to prevent flameouts, but when launching rockets it refuses to throttle down.

It actually does,

i had a bug where all orbital velocitys are divided by 10

so i need 240 m/s for orbit arround kerbin

i didnt notice but MJ definitly did and limited my thrust to 5% or so,

so it works.

This might get lost in the noise, but I just wanted to stop by and thank the crew for saving my space program since 0.21. The new SAS does nothing that I need it to right now and Smart A.S.S. works beautifully well with all my unbalanced craft (and so much more!)