[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

The largest engine in Nova Punch causes the nav ball to spin when using Mechjeb 2.0.9 tried it with no reaction wheels and tried it with many of them it still spins. The smaller engines of NP have no problems with mechjeb.

With the largest engine pluss some NP reaction wheels if I take off with mechjeb on it spins but if I deactivate Mechjeb and then activate SAS the rocket flys very smooth.

From all this it looks like Mechjeb 2.0.9 needs to be programed to make use of the reaction wheels that get added.

Bah, I could use some help. I tried out the Kerbcom avionics (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/28044-WIP-Plugin-KerbCom-Avionics-Analytical-engine-and-RCS-thrust-balancing?highlight=thrust+balancer and I think it somehow messed up MJ2.

I took it out but MJ2 is still going batsnot when trying to align. It keeps overcorrecting something fierce. It seems worse with smaller rockets.

MJ2 current attitude values are

Kp = 10000

Ki = 0

Kd = 800

Tf = 0.2

Ki_limit = 1000000

Factor = 100000

I don't know if these are correct values or not. Messing with them doesn't seem to have any effect.

Any idea? The effect isn't so bad on assent but landing is now impossible (even the land anywhere is borked)

Any advice at all would be welcome.

I've had that problem too a few times, mostly at 1000x warp.

I fixed it by changing line 117 in MechjebModuleNodeExecutor.cs: else if (!MuUtils.PhysicsRunning() && core.attitude.attitudeAngleFromTarget() > 10 && timeToNode < 600)

Before that 600 was just 300, since that change I didn't have problems anymore.

Where is MechjebModuleNodeExecutor.cs?

Thanks Dungchunker! That was the problem. sojourner, I had installed the 2.09 available at http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/21mechjeb209/ and it overwrote the parts files and made each command pod MecJeb-ready. I re installed KSP to restore the original files, then installed the MecJeb from page 1 of this thread. It only installed the MecJeb 2 (AR202) module and the required plugin .dll. This is what I wanted.

No problem, I assumed that is what you did..with what seems like multiple variations by different people of some of the same mods sometimes it makes it difficult to find what you want in Spaceport. From my personal experience of bad downloads and getting the wrong versions of mods....I have found that if there is a mod you want or are looking at getting...find it on their forum thread first (if they have one) and double check it with Spaceport download....can save you some headache.

OK, I'm watching video after video of MechJeb and everyone has their MechJeb button on the right in a reasonable position, but mine is camped out right on top of my Resources. Please tell me how to move the MechJeb button.

OK, I'm watching video after video of MechJeb and everyone has their MechJeb button on the right in a reasonable position, but mine is camped out right on top of my Resources. Please tell me how to move the MechJeb button.

I would like to know this too ^

Hi' guys,

I'm asking myself if my idea is good : why not allowing MechJeb after complete a mission like : orbiting & landing on 90% kerbol's planets ?

You see what i mean ? ^^'

XaT

Hi' guys,

I'm asking myself if my idea is good : why not allowing MechJeb after complete a mission like : orbiting & landing on 90% kerbol's planets ?

You see what i mean ? ^^'

XaT

Feel free to play that way yourself, but don't limit my play style.

So I'm trying to learn how to use the auto-docking mechanism as I totally suck at that on my own- it can take me upwards of an hour to get one ship docked. Anyway- I got the craft to within 1.9km of eachother, and it says "right click on the port' to set it as a target. And I can't- it just jerks the camera a microscopic amount- no context menu shows up. What am I doing wrong?

Edited by Tassyr

Quick suggestion:

max power usage/ power generation info under the vessel tab.

I agree. Now that charge actually gets used in significant amounts this would be a great help when designing.

For those having difficulty with the Docking Autopilot: Try disabling any sources of torque on your ship (command pod, reaction wheels etc) before engaging the autopilot. I noticed that it worked much better that way (still not as good as in previous versions though).

Bah, I could use some help. I tried out the Kerbcom avionics (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/28044-WIP-Plugin-KerbCom-Avionics-Analytical-engine-and-RCS-thrust-balancing?highlight=thrust+balancer and I think it somehow messed up MJ2.

I took it out but MJ2 is still going batsnot when trying to align. It keeps overcorrecting something fierce. It seems worse with smaller rockets.

MJ2 current attitude values are

Kp = 10000

Ki = 0

Kd = 800

Tf = 0.2

Ki_limit = 1000000

Factor = 100000

I don't know if these are correct values or not. Messing with them doesn't seem to have any effect.

Any idea? The effect isn't so bad on assent but landing is now impossible (even the land anywhere is borked)

Any advice at all would be welcome.

Any thoughts on this?

I did find messing with the Tf value had an effect. At .5 it helped the smaller craft not ocilate too much but the larger craft couldn't function at all at that value. At .2 or less, control on larger stuff tightened up quite a bit. At .002 it was way tight. Though the tighter the control the more electrical that is drawn.

I looking into PID tuning but altering the K values didn't seem to do anything tangable. I couldn't find out what the Tf value is in relation to a PID.

So I'm trying to learn how to use the auto-docking mechanism as I totally suck at that on my own- it can take me upwards of an hour to get one ship docked. Anyway- I got the craft to within 1.9km of eachother, and it says "right click on the port' to set it as a target. And I can't- it just jerks the camera a microscopic amount- no context menu shows up. What am I doing wrong?

At 1.9 kilometers you can't even see the port to click on it. Get much closer. Like 100 meters. rendezvous autopilot will get you that close easily. Heck, I set mine for 50 meters.

At 1.9 kilometers you can't even see the port to click on it. Get much closer. Like 100 meters.

Ah, great! How? I can't get closer than about 300 using the rendezvous module.

Is there a reason why the PluginData folder for MechJeb2 is empty? I'm still trying to understand why my MechJeb isn't working. Without MechJeb 1.9.8, I don't have any parts to chose from, so I have it and 2.0.9 installed. I extracted the parts from 1.9.8 into the parts folder, the MuMechLib.dll file from Plugins was extracted to the Plugins folder.

I remember reading somewhere that MechJeb2 was supposed to be extracted to the GameData folder, so that's where I have it. The MechJeb parts and the menus show up, but they do nothing. I did a clean install and my test rocket still makes no effort to fly straight when I launch it; it makes no effort to correct course when the rocket starts to tilt in flight. I have all the parts and they do nothing. It's like the lights are on but nobody's home.

Could someone with a functioning MechJeb 2.0.9 please pm me with the file path they used to make this work? I miss my auto pilot.

There should be a folder in the 2.0.9 zip file that's MechJeb2. Dropping that in your gamedata folder should be all you need to do. Take out the 1.9.8 parts from the parts folder and the MuMecjLib.dll from the plugins folder. If you have both it may be conflicting.

Any thoughts on this?

I did find messing with the Tf value had an effect. At .5 it helped the smaller craft not ocilate too much but the larger craft couldn't function at all at that value. At .2 or less, control on larger stuff tightened up quite a bit. At .002 it was way tight. Though the tighter the control the more electrical that is drawn.

I looking into PID tuning but altering the K values didn't seem to do anything tangable. I couldn't find out what the Tf value is in relation to a PID.

I post the same thing half the time but you can try the build I made with a patch by Raf04 with an improved pid that don't need tunning and works fine with all ships : http://www.sarbian.com/sarbian/MechJeb2.dll

Included :

Raf04 patch for better stability

Sarbian patch for Force Roll to a value for Smart ASAS/Docking and surface control torque

BloodyRain2K patch for Auto ascent param config ( turn start/end default based on the planet atmosphere height )

Memeu patch for improved landing precision.

For those who downloaded a previous version of my patch the Rendezvous Autopilot is back...

Source : https://github.com/sarbian/MechJeb2/tree/Multi-Patch

Any thoughts on this?

The efect of Tf is contrary:

Tf determines the cutoff frequency of a low pass filter, approx:

Fcutoff = (1 / 2*Pi) * (1 / Tf)

for high values ​​of "Tf" the cutoff frequency is lower.

Large values ​​of Tf are more suitable for large ships (0.6 ... 0.3) and small values ​​of Tf (0.3 ... 0.1) for small craft. Large values ​​Tf slow the PID response, smaller values ​​make faster.

If your ship wobbles Tf values ​​of 0.6 would be better to make more rigid spacecraft using "EAS-4 struct connector"

Values ​​lower than 0.05 eliminate the ability of the filter (the minimum processing time is similar).

[highlight] (this is valid only for the sarbian version )[/highlight]

Edited by Morlock